Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:39 AM

9,480 posts, read 11,244,507 times

Advertisements

I hear you on the old bias/reputation regarding the Hyundai/KIA group (they produce a lot of twins, like Chevy/Buick for instance), but they've come a long way.

Drive one. Proof is in the puddin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,509,079 times
I've been researching the Suzuki SX4. I've learned that Suzuki may be a small player here in the US, but it is a big player in Japan.

So maybe it doesn't deserve the prejudice I had towards it.

The SX4 has an unusual AWD configuration. It has 2WD, AWD and 4WD. I think the car itself makes a lot of the decisions as to which is used, but there is a toggle switch for the driver.

I had never heard of something like this. It seems to have the best of the FWD and AWD worlds. But the car a "crossover" vehicle, like a mini SUV. The AWD configuration doesn't seem like a gimmick. It seems like a good feature. But I have to get more information on this.

The Suzuki SX4 seems to have lot of good features, including electronic stabiity control, and a low price for a car so equipped. But I still don't know how reliable it is. And I don't think it is very powerful. But it still is worth a more detailed look.

I looked at the list of AWD sedans on Edmunds. Almost all of them are American cars or cars that are more upscale than I need or want. I do not like the loose steering feel of many, if not most, American cars I have driven. Also, I wonder what the future holds for American car manufacturers in this economy.

One thing I do like about American cars, at least GM cars, is that they have Onstar. That's a neat feature. If you have an accident and cannot call for help, Onstar will immediately act on your behalf. If you are lost, they will help. I've heard that the service is expensive, but it would be worth its weight in gold in just one emergency. The only foreign car that has it, to my knowledge, is the Saab.

My friend has a Saab and she is quite happy with it. She got it used and she gave me the name of the guy who fixed it up and sold it to her. I may talk to him.

I guess I'm looking for the perfect car, which doesn't exist. I'm also wondering if my focus on Subarus over all other cars is due to their saturation marketing. I had never even heard of the Suzuki SX4 until it was recommended on this thread.

I'm also looking for the perfect mattress, but that project is for a different forum.

I love this website.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:06 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,007,288 times
I think Suzuki is on the rise. They've slipped up in the past with their rebadged models that were actually Daewoo products. But, I think their original products are very well put together and extremely reliable.

There has to be a reason they occasionally outsell Honda in their home market.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 PM

Definitely something to think about.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,648,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Definitely something to think about.
You come here for a simple answer and we go and completely confuse you. LOL! Honestly, we mean well.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:20 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,733,997 times
If you're looking for the best awd car, its pretty much the Legacy 2.5 GT Limited. Its the STI engine in a bigger, more refined body. Subaru's Legacy reliability tops Camry and the cars are very solid and known to last forever. If you are looking for more performance, a $700 Cobb chip will bump the engine horsepower to ~300 from 250 - it basically just retunes the engine to STI specs. Skip the 3.0R and 2.5i - they will not be what you want. Same goes for the Impreza - its small and not as nicely appointed.

Probably the next best option would be a Mercury Milan awd - V6 and awd for $20k is hard to beat, especially with more interior room and the "luxury" brand. I wouldn't consider the Suzuki. I think you're focusing on Subarus not because of marketing but because of how truly good they are.

As for beds, I'd go with Temporpedic - expensive but so worth it - you use it every night.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,453,229 times
If AWD is a driving factor behind the purchase, I wouldn't consider anything other than a Subaru.

Their reliability is absolutely phenomenal, as is their performace in adverse conditions.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM

I think I will go with the Subaru legacy, and I will look into the trim recommended by Sayantsi.

So many people here drive a Subaru that I don't think it can be due to the marketing.

There is a well-regarded Subaru dealer right here in town, and if I'm unhappy with them, there are others not too far away.

Most reviews of the Suzuki are good, but they are qualified with things like "for the price", "in its class", etc.

I don't think I would want a Murcury. I don't like the squishy feel of American cars, and I am concerned about the future of American automakers. I don't know how potential changes would affect a new car owner down the road.

Also, I have a bias against Ford because of their historical indifference to safety. (Think Pinto, Crown Victoria, and others). I'm sure Ford is not alone in this, but they are the ones who got the public attention and outrage, so their offenses must have been particularly eggregious.

I like a small car, like the Impreza. But the regular Impreza is, I think, not that great and the WRX is a performance car. I don't need a performance car and I don't want to pay either the higher price or the higher insurance premiums.

Don't worry about confusing me. There is a place for simple answers, but, more often, there is complexity that needs to be addressed if one is to arrive at the best possible decision. When I'm given unfamiliar technical information, I can either learn about the issues or just gloss over them and look at the bigger context.

Thank you, all. I really appreciate your insights and advice.

I haven't bought the car, yet, so feel free to keep writing!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,733,997 times
Fwiw, the Mercury Milan is based on the Mazda 6 chassis - its an excellent platform, but Mazda does not sell an awd 6. I wouldn't hold Ford to cars from 20-30 years ago - the company is different from then, better managed, better quality. American car makers are finally getting it, and with Ford's current employee pricing, you are basically looking at almost $10k difference between a Subaru 2.5 GT Ltd ad an awd Milan. You'll have to decide if its worth the extra cost, but Subaru is definitely the best awd out there.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:19 PM

366 posts, read 1,376,601 times
Subaru AWD> all other AWD systems!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru