Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 01:58 AM

567 posts, read 362,212 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from Seniors that have retired and now are back to work.

Was this decision based on finances or just being bored and wanting to work to still have more of a day to day routine.

There’s people that thought their retirement was set and then unexpected financial expenses and needed to go back to work.

Hopefully Seniors will be able to enjoy their retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 02:04 AM

107,117 posts, read 109,467,196 times
been working at least one day a week since i retired in 2015 .

currently doing 2 days thru the winter and will go back to one day .

i would do what i do for free as i enjoy it a lot , the fact they pay me well to do technical training at my old company is a bonus .

also got back in to my drumming so one day a week is spent in the studio.

so all things i do i do because i enjoy them . the nice thing is anytime we have plans to do a trip or something i just don’t go in .

Old 04-10-2024, 11:24 AM

924 posts, read 676,600 times
I retired almost 3 years ago. Wasn't going to that soon but COVID changed my job. It was no longer fun.
Now I tutor online 2 days a week and watch my godchild's 3-month-old son 2 days a week.
I like having something to do. DH is still working full-time. Once he retires I will probably stop working too.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:34 AM

7,289 posts, read 4,664,298 times
I retired 12 years ago and within 7 months was offered a position teaching one course at a university. It was a new endeavor and I loved it for 8 years until it ended. I now consult part time in my previous career. I do it because I love it and the money is nice also.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:45 AM

6,368 posts, read 7,817,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I retired 12 years ago and within 7 months was offered a position teaching one course at a university...
During the thirteen years just prior to retirement, I taught at a community college, (in additional to my "full-time" job). I really enjoyed it and would welcome the opportunity to teach again. However, in my discipline, there are too many available teaching candidates and my discipline in states other than California do not offer many classes per semester.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-10-2024, 03:33 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Retired 8 years ago. Knew I would have to work pt to kill some debt, but it made sense to retire and start pension/no longer pay for commute or health insurance (paid for insurance was only in the last 4 years of service. Was in a group that did not pay for insurance in retirement).

COVID hit and greatly reduced my job, which by its nature is mostly in person, to occasional online emails and meetings. I made a plan to retire for good, marry, and move to my fiancé's world.

He got sick, I became his caregiver, he died last year, I came home and went back to work pt--until one month ago, when I started working full-time for a big project. Three days in office, two days wfh. I don't NEED the money, but it's good money, so why not until I figure out what's next.

Old 04-14-2024, 05:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,339,441 times
Stuff happens

I just spent a week with friends who retired at age 53 (30+ yrs ago). No pension, no HC). They were really living it up, having a great time, and on their way to spend 6 months in NZ and Australia.... When their F planner called and proclaimed that he had put every dime with Madoff.
They had to sell their new cars and Rv and start a handyman business at age
70. . They said they only recouped 50%.

Most retirees I know who go back to wage income, just do it for spending money, or social reasons. Or to learn a new skill.

Work was always fun for me, so I wouldn't mind doing it if I had enough time.

I have many other things to do with my time in my few remaining years.

But it's no crime to get a job .

Old 04-14-2024, 06:32 PM

10,391 posts, read 8,629,726 times
I am retired with a low 6 figure income.
I am starting a business to accommodate my lifestyle creep. If it doesn’t work I’m ok, but there’s some things I decided I wanted.
I anticipate making 6 figures working part time maybe 2 days a week maybe a bit less once rolling.
I give it a 75% chance of success.
The big thing is time is most valuable so if it isn’t lucrative enough I’ll drop it and live life as it is now which is pretty good.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:05 AM

35,196 posts, read 31,510,336 times
I know quite a few older Boomers and some younger ones who've gone back to work at least part-time because they need the money.

There are all sorts of backstories there. I know several older ones who lost their career job in the Great Recession and muddled along for years working whatever they could. I know some who worked to older ages who then retired from their full-time job and worked part-time to augment their income.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:15 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,426,310 times
Most of the guys that i know personally who have gone 'back to work' after retirement did so either out of boredom or because all they knew how to do was get up every morning and go to work.
The guys who had a good non-work interest (golf, fishing, tinkering with cars, travel...) seem to handle retirement just fine.
In our neighborhood we refer to returning to the work force as 'flunking retirement'.

I returned to work 'sort of' by working in the pro shop for free golf and discounts on merchandise. But it turned out work was interfering with golf time so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement