Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 06:15 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Lunching and shopping with "the ladies" is pretty dull stuff, I agree! I prefer my interactions to actually be about something.
I greatly prefer the company of my male co-workers to that of the female ones. I am childless by choice and I don't want to hear about the cute antics of other people's children and grandchildren. I hate when women tie their identities to the children and grandchildren in their lives. I still remember having to constantly interrupt and remind a 60-year old female co-worker that I didn't want to see the latest photos of her grandchildren. Eventually she stopped trying.

And to those children obsessed (now older) women, I want to shake them and tell them that they shouldn't limit their lives to only doting on their kids. What a waste of their time on earth plus they've raised snowflake human beings.

Last edited by miu; 04-21-2024 at 06:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 05:45 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I greatly prefer the company of my male co-workers to that of the female ones. I am childless by choice and I don't want to hear about the cute antics of other people's children and grandchildren. I hate when women tie their identities to the children and grandchildren in their lives. I still remember having to constantly interrupt and remind a 60-year old female co-worker that I didn't want to see the latest photos of her grandchildren. Eventually she stopped trying.

And to those children obsessed (now older) women, I want to shake them and tell them that they shouldn't limit their lives to only doting on their kids. What a waste of their time on earth plus they've raised snowflake human beings.
Yeah, to people who don't know them, your grandkids are indistinguishable from everyone else's grandkids. They all look the same to everyone else. I don't think grandparents understand this.

I had a former coworker want to meet me for dinner. She said, "Oh, and I recently became a grandmother. Send me your personal phone number so we can set a date, and I will send you a picture of my new grandson!"

That will be grrrreeeeaaat.

I got a photo of her standing next to a young man I assume is her son, since I've never met him, and he is holding a baby that looks like every other white infant ever born.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:35 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,424,279 times
When I see a picture of a grandkid who, yes, looks like any other larvae, I ask for a name and is everyone healthy. Childfree by choice and I don't think I have the slightest interest in other people's, especially when it seems to be all that they (women) care about.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:57 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When I see a picture of a grandkid who, yes, looks like any other larvae, I ask for a name and is everyone healthy. Childfree by choice and I don't think I have the slightest interest in other people's, especially when it seems to be all that they (women) care about.
And I hate the awful silence as they wait for me to tell them how beautiful or cute their babies are! I'm a dog person, and unless asked, I don't torture other people with pictures of my fur-babies. Beauty is in the eyes of their parents.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:47 PM

64 posts, read 16,886 times
Quote:
And I hate the awful silence as they wait for me to tell them how beautiful or cute their babies are! I'm a dog person, and unless asked, I don't torture other people with pictures of my fur-babies. Beauty is in the eyes of their parents.
LOl Just tell them you're a dog person

Old 04-22-2024, 09:23 PM

334 posts, read 189,350 times
Quote:

Kids are the only form of immortality humans know. For some, it's a comfort to know a part of them continues

Old 04-23-2024, 06:29 AM

490 posts, read 888,954 times
I'm middle aged, and we have a small child. I don't care to share info about him nor care to hear about others' kids. Nobody truly cares about mine, so why fake it? Where I work, my office is in a hall with all women, except myself and one other guy, who's very weird. I rarely talk to anyone at work other than saying hello in passing in the hallway. Gets boring because I have nothing to talk about with anyone or really have anything in common. I could care less about their soccer tournament weekend. I'm just counting the days until my retirement when I can be free of this BS, but I have a long way to go. Every day I walk into the office is agonizing. I don't know how some of you did this for 40+ years. I'd commented on another thread about it, but it seems like most of you haven't ever hated every job you've ever had, or at least disliked it. Freedom trumps everything IMO.

Old 04-23-2024, 09:45 PM

7,657 posts, read 3,290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
That's why I want young, strong, athletic flight attendants rather than old grandmotherly dinosaurs.
You mean like that downhill skier you posted? The one with the big thighs? I think she was perhaps 27ish (about 40 years younger than yourself).

LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0kzJZj0rDg

Old 04-24-2024, 09:33 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,198,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
I'm middle aged, and we have a small child. I don't care to share info about him nor care to hear about others' kids. Nobody truly cares about mine, so why fake it? Where I work, my office is in a hall with all women, except myself and one other guy, who's very weird. I rarely talk to anyone at work other than saying hello in passing in the hallway. Gets boring because I have nothing to talk about with anyone or really have anything in common. I could care less about their soccer tournament weekend. I'm just counting the days until my retirement when I can be free of this BS, but I have a long way to go. Every day I walk into the office is agonizing. I don't know how some of you did this for 40+ years. I'd commented on another thread about it, but it seems like most of you haven't ever hated every job you've ever had, or at least disliked it. Freedom trumps everything IMO.
This is the beauty of working from home full-time. I'm no longer subjected to women grabbing me in the hallway or kitchen or bathroom at work and shoving their (grand)children's latest photos in my face, or regaling me with their latest antics for 15 minutes. Wasted 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. They're less likely to do that in a Teams call, although some crafty ones have managed to slide that in. Masters at their craft.

I hear you about retirement. I love your posts about your worklife because it so closely parallels mine and I can feel your angst and pain. I've worked for 45 years and am finally getting out in two months. I start to salivate every time I think about it. I know it seems impossible right now, but hang in there. Your time will come.

Old 04-26-2024, 07:51 AM

490 posts, read 888,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
This is the beauty of working from home full-time. I'm no longer subjected to women grabbing me in the hallway or kitchen or bathroom at work and shoving their (grand)children's latest photos in my face, or regaling me with their latest antics for 15 minutes. Wasted 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back. They're less likely to do that in a Teams call, although some crafty ones have managed to slide that in. Masters at their craft.

I hear you about retirement. I love your posts about your worklife because it so closely parallels mine and I can feel your angst and pain. I've worked for 45 years and am finally getting out in two months. I start to salivate every time I think about it. I know it seems impossible right now, but hang in there. Your time will come.
Thanks! I WFH and traveled for a prior job. It was an excellent balance for me. My boss ruined the whole job. She was the most evil person I've ever worked for. I wasn't stuck in an office all the time. I'd be home a week and could knock out my work well within 40 hours, so I had some down time. Travel was love/hate. The early Monday mornings and late Friday evenings with delays getting home wore on me quickly; however, getting to see the country and go to different offices meant I didn't deal with the same people all the time. Plus, on travel weeks, I really only worked 3 full days. I didn't mind being in the airport for 2 of them....beat sitting in an office.

Too bad the company got bought out and the job was eliminated. I'm looking for something more along those lines, but I'd be giving up a pension and state benefits package---probably the one thing that would allow me to retire early. Since I've hated all jobs, this makes it a tough choice because I'm burnt out and barely can drag myself in everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement