Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 10:59 AM

904 posts, read 666,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Certain passengers have gotten so unruly that it almost seems necessary to have a bouncer on the plane these days.
That is why DH and I were surprised all the flight attendants were older than us.
Luckily there were no issues accept for minor grumblings when they ran out of Diet Coke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 11:43 AM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
I'm self-employed semi-retired, and have been for years. I work from home when I feel like it, but each week, a few tasks must be done that day or the next day to avoid service delays. Daily trips to the mailbox then to the bank to deposit checks that come in. I know I could deposit the checks by phone, but I like to see the bank staff, & chat for a minute, or two.

2 days a month, I have to work for ~4 hrs straight, scanning/emailing docs to my Accountant, & doing payables...ugh.

I'm mentally drained after these 4 hrs...which is right now...I just finished...hooray!

I don't think I have the mental stamina to work in an office running numbers for 8+ hrs/day anymore, & listening to a boss.

I have not worked in a traditional work environment in 22 years. I've worked from home. At first I was lonely, but I adjusted. I'm on the phone w/ coworkers a lot, & I have an outside interest that gives me plenty of socialization w/o having to leave the neighborhood.

I dont need the money, but I earn low 6 figures working maybe 10 hrs/week, mostly when I please, so why quit totally?

I can work from anywhere that has internet + cell phone signal, but working from my home-office is easier than working from afar.

I feel bad for seniors that had to return to work for $. I admire those who returned to work for other reasons...its just not for me. I've been working for myself from home for way too long.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-16-2024 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-16-2024, 02:55 PM

7,837 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Having worked for years where security was always forefront, I favor wisdom in the security people. The occasional bouncer is pretty good, too.
I recall prior to the fall of the Iron Curtain going through the international airport at Frankfort. There always were "tan young men in ill-fitting suits wearing combat boots" randomly milling about. Those suit jackets were purposefully large, as to conceal automatic weapons. They were there for our safety, of course, and I presume well trained - but to me they looked like they were in their early 20s (at best) and likely not possessed of much wisdom or self-restraint.

A year or so after 9/11, I recall boarding an international flight back to the USA originating overseas, and I was the very first passenger to load; I had seat 1A. Already seated in 2C was a late twenty-something man who appeared in good physical shape. He should not have been present, as I was absolutely the first person to board. While he was in a suit, he wore boots that, I suspect, had steel toes. I was dead certain he was a Sky Marshall. I thanked him for his service, and without looking up, he replied "I have no idea what you are talking about." Nevertheless, I felt safe on that flight.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,775 times
The world is turning crazy that old/older people keep working longer and longer, no matter by choice or not by choice, while the young/younger people cannot find a job easily, or they don't care to work because they have their parents to work so hard, to take care of them (by choice or not by choice also).

Some people are willing to work as long as they can or want; some others will be willing to not to work and live like leaches on the ones who work hard (such as living off of their parents or taking welfares or unemployment benefits as long as they can/want).

Too bad, so sad. The world nowadays is having a stupid/broken employment system made by people. Or old people are idiots for the young people to be smart A**holes to take advantages of the older ones. That's the problem with the society.

Now there, I know many people are going to oppose me. Okay. I’m not going to respond to anyone. Just some food for thoughts.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 04-16-2024 at 10:29 PM..

Old 04-17-2024, 05:55 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think 9/11 and Flight 93 showed us how critical flight attendants are. None of that "fly me" nonsense.
I sometimes buy old magazines at estate sales. The ads are the best part. In a 1969 Look, there is an ad for an airline that flies to Asia. In the photo, there are two groups of pretty young women in uniform, one group white, one group Asian.

The caption says, "Now we have American stewardesses to help you feel at home, and Orientals to get you where you are going".

Same issue, a Hertz Rent-a-Car ad with a young woman in a yellow jacket and pillbox hat. "Not only is she pretty, but she can answer questions and even provide you with a map if you need one."

I showed them to my adult daughter, who was like wth? The look on her face was priceless. I told her, "It was not that long ago, honey."

Old 04-17-2024, 07:44 AM

7,837 posts, read 3,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
The world is turning crazy that old/older people keep working longer and longer ...
Actually, the data show the opposite is true.

Labor Force Participation Rate among those aged 55+ cratered because of the pandemic, and has not recovered. Those people who left the labor force have not returned because they are affluent enough not to work. They have substantial savings & investments to carry them through to the end of their life.

Quote:
while the young/younger people cannot find a job easily,
Anyone who wants to work can find multiple job offers. Silicon Valley is starving for AI Engineers & Data Scientists, paying as much as $1 Million compensation packages to individual engineers & scientists & applied mathematicians. Other Silicon Valley companies are starving for CPU Architects who can name their compensation. Those compensation packages are because employers cannot find enough employees, not because employees cannot find jobs.

Quote:
... some others will be willing to not to work and live like leaches on the ones who work hard (such as living off of their parents or taking welfares or unemployment benefits as long as they can/want).
Sadly true.

Our country has a broad and robust social safety net, supplemented by generous religious & secular charitable giving to support those less fortunate.

Most of us in our generation learned the connection between working for a living and having food to eat & a roof over our head & clothing on our backs. Many young people today have not learned this connection because of our broad social safety net. Far too many young people aspire to a lifetime on the public dole.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:54 AM

580 posts, read 304,866 times
Working 1-2 hrs a week for a family business. I do numbers stuff as it’s easy to me and can be done at home. I run payroll which helps me mark the calendar which I like. Money is ok I don’t travel much s I did while working and while wife was living. Life is ok been retired for 17 yrs now.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:52 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I sometimes buy old magazines at estate sales....

I showed them to my adult daughter, who was like wth? The look on her face was priceless. I told her, "It was not that long ago, honey."
I remember Ms. Magazine used to run those ads on the back page and boy, it wasn't that long ago for sure!

Old 04-17-2024, 07:22 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Nice post #36 moguldreamer...thx for the chart...puts it all into perspective.

Millions of 50+ workers left during Covid and never returned...lots of them were Teachers who had bene's through their spouse, so didn't need to stay. Most quit when they were told to return to the classroom.

That's why we have a nationwide Teacher shortage now.

Old 04-18-2024, 06:59 AM

904 posts, read 666,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I sometimes buy old magazines at estate sales. The ads are the best part. In a 1969 Look, there is an ad for an airline that flies to Asia. In the photo, there are two groups of pretty young women in uniform, one group white, one group Asian.

The caption says, "Now we have American stewardesses to help you feel at home, and Orientals to get you where you are going".

Same issue, a Hertz Rent-a-Car ad with a young woman in a yellow jacket and pillbox hat. "Not only is she pretty, but she can answer questions and even provide you with a map if you need one."

And once they got married I believe they could no longer fly. I remember the book Coffee, Tea Or Me. I think it became a movie.

There was a TV show not that long ago, about stewardesses. Watched it a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement