Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2024, 01:20 PM

4,284 posts, read 5,945,380 times

Advertisements

A BIL who receives SSDI died yesterday, April 30th.

Funds are typically deposited on 3rd of the month into his bank account. Will his April deposit be recaptured in addition to the in-process but not yet received May deposit?

I read the regulations as though the May deposit would have been his April benefit, and all benefits paid for the Month of Death must be returned/recaptured. So the May 3rd payment will be recaptured but not the April 3rd deposit, and if his death had occurred at 12:01am May 1st, the May 3rd deposit would be immune from recapture.

Correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 05-01-2024 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:12 AM

1,978 posts, read 940,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

Funds are typically deposited on 3rd of the month into his bank account. Will his April deposit be recaptured in addition to the in-process but not yet received May deposit?

Yep.

My father died at the end of the month as well, and the whole month was pulled out, leaving his account in the negative, because he had already paid all his bills.

I'm sorry for the loss of your BIL. {{{hugs}}}

Old Today, 12:59 PM

7,524 posts, read 13,648,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

I read the regulations as though the May deposit would have been his April benefit, and all benefits paid for the Month of Death must be returned/recaptured. So the May 3rd payment will be recaptured but not the April 3rd deposit, and if his death had occurred at 12:01am May 1st, the May 3rd deposit would be immune from recapture.

Correct?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Yep.

My father died at the end of the month as well, and the whole month was pulled out, leaving his account in the negative, because he had already paid all his bills.

I'm sorry for the loss of your BIL. {{{hugs}}}
This issue is very commonly misunderstood. See
https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/survivo...%20in%20August.

where it says "If the deceased was receiving Social Security benefits, you must return the benefit received for the month of death and any later months.

For example, if the person died in July, you must return the benefits paid in August. How you return the benefits depends on how the deceased received benefits"

Notice it says "for" the month of death ,not "in" the month of death.

SS pays "in arrears", and does not pro-rate a monthly payment.

If you are sure a payment was pulled back in error, SS has a process to claim re-payment. Contact an SS office to persue this.

If curious why SS does this, understand that when one applies for SS, you get credit for the entire 1st month regardless of birthday in that month. except if b-day is 1st of month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement