Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM

32 posts, read 22,121 times

Advertisements

I retired early from my job (at age fifty) after working there for thirty-two years. I was newly single and thought I could spend my time skiing, fishing and visiting friends and family, but that turned out not to be the case.

I never realized how much a job meant to me and how it become a part of my identity. I guess there may be many reasons for that, but suffice it to say that I missed working even though I didn't need the money at the time. I also was surprised at how quickly I became bored and restless with just skiing and fishing and traveling whenever I wanted to.

And now, after "retiring" twenty-three years ago and then returning to work (after many years of learning and preparing myself for my second career), I can say that things are much better than I ever expected them to be and I am one lucky guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 08:49 AM

17,361 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Once we pull the trigger and officially retire we will always have the option of working at least PT but unless we really need the money I'm not seeing that happening. A lot depends on what your PT job involves. Having to go into work 20 hours a week has a way of taking a good chunk out of your day, dealing with rude customers/clients can really wreck your mood. Being at home and working when it's convenient for you and around your own schedule would be doable but, realistically, there aren't that many jobs like that.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:19 AM

903 posts, read 664,395 times
My uncle gave up farming in his late 60s. He didn't have a lot of interests. His wife had some health issues and didn't want to travel. He took a full-time job as a cook at Denny's until he was 80. He loved it and everyone loved him. I would go in there just to watch him.

His wife got sicker so retired to take her to appointments and take care of her at home. After she died, he filled his remaining years baking bread, apple pies, applesauce, and other goodies and sharing them with us and his other neighbors. Once a month he made potato pancakes and brought them to his son's work for a lunch treat. He kept this up until he was 99. Died at 100.

He always said if my aunt hadn't needed him he would have stayed at Denny's longer.

Last edited by EllieKay56; 04-15-2024 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-15-2024, 09:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I'm currently trying to travel a lot to knock off all my "bucket list" trips and determine my relocation/retirement destination while I'm between pets for the first time in my life (I won't leave them when I have them), but once I settle down, I plan to return to work at least part-time and possibly full-time; I may even retrain for a new career. I find retirement -- at least as a single woman -- extremely meaningless and empty (although, yes, I have "hobbies" and, yes, I "volunteer; it's not enough) and was literally losing my mind from boredom until I started traveling. At least that's a change of scenery!

Old 04-15-2024, 10:02 AM

552 posts, read 344,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
My uncle gave up farming in his late 60s. He didn't have a lot of interests. His wife had some health issues, and didn't want to travel. He took a full-time job as a cook at Denny's until he was 80. He loved it and everyone loved him. I would go in there just to watch him.

His wife got sicker so retired to take her to appointments and take care of her at home. After she died, he filled his remaining years baking bread, apple pies, and other goodies and sharing them with us and his other neighbors. Once a month he made potato pancakes and brought them to his son's work for a lunch treat. He kept this up until he was 99. Died at 100.

He always said if my aunt hadn't needed him he would have stayed at Denny's longer.
Thank you for sharing this story about your Uncle he’s sounds like an incredible person.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM

10,346 posts, read 8,561,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
My uncle gave up farming in his late 60s. He didn't have a lot of interests. His wife had some health issues, and didn't want to travel. He took a full-time job as a cook at Denny's until he was 80. He loved it and everyone loved him. I would go in there just to watch him.

His wife got sicker so retired to take her to appointments and take care of her at home. After she died, he filled his remaining years baking bread, apple pies, and other goodies and sharing them with us and his other neighbors. Once a month he made potato pancakes and brought them to his son's work for a lunch treat. He kept this up until he was 99. Died at 100.

Great example of how everyone finds joy in their own way and it isn’t always about money.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
We were completely disgusted with the lack of service and incompetence at our local Lowe's, but I decided to give them another try last week. I was amazed at the change, two people greeted me and told me to ask if I needed any help. Then I went to plumbing and while looking at parts someone came and offered me help. When I checked out the employee was pleasant, polite and efficient. All of them were older, probably 60s. Sad if they are back working because they have to, but great news because they are so much better than the few employees they had before.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:41 AM

52 posts, read 11,211 times
I just started working in the produce dept of our local Mom & Pop Health Food store for min wage. An employee told me the owner was interested in me. Work Two 5 hr shifts per week. We've gardened to some extent this entire time. The Owner offered two gym memberships free but we discovered Silver sneakers via Medicare so it's free already. + 10% employee discount saving us about $70 per month.We shop there 2-3x a week

He considers the small compost pile from produce dept just trash but it's a gold mine to us. Owner buys our free range organic eggs for himself about 2x a month (not in winter) says they are the best tasting eggs he can get... I will continue to keep him stocked with free eggs for his kindness

1st shift, I took home:

-3 Organic Ginger Claws well sprouting. To reproduce into 5-11 other ginger claws when planted. $20
- 4 Organic Garlic Cloves already sprouting. $3
- 10 Damaged parsnips. Not sure the value offhand- $15?
- A tiny Live Organic Lemon Tree $30.Lost some branches & packaging but is quite alive

$68 dollars!!

2nd shift: Took home:
- 5 Sprouting organic potatoes. Value $4. We already grow potatoes but to add another variety is good, we'll share with him
- 5 haggard green onions- $2 These are SO easy to grow and reproduce themselves well.
- One celery planted for new heads of celery- $3
- One package of organic sunflower seeds which we already planned to grow this year anyhow- $4
$12 Value!!

I receive, stock & order produce. I am very familiar with how the produce dept works. Yesterday was probably our last frost so it's time to plant

Last edited by Zippiee; 04-15-2024 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-15-2024, 01:21 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,707,876 times
I retired in 2010 when I was 57. I had worked at one job for 32 years and maxed out the retirement annuity. I did some part time work off and on for 8 years. In 2018, I was offered a job in my field of expertise. I work from home and sell equipment for the company that hired me. I'm paid commissions on the sales, no salary. I've made good money, it gives me something to do that I enjoy and I'm using my knowledge.

I was bored not working. I don't play golf, lol. The saying is, if you like what you do, it's not a job. I like what I do and making money doing it is an added bonus. My schedule is up to me, I have lots of free time. Having a WFH job during the Covid shutdowns was a life saver. I would have been bouncing off the walls if I didn't have something to do that used my mind and occupied my time.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:25 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We were completely disgusted with the lack of service and incompetence at our local Lowe's, but I decided to give them another try last week. I was amazed at the change, two people greeted me and told me to ask if I needed any help. Then I went to plumbing and while looking at parts someone came and offered me help. When I checked out the employee was pleasant, polite and efficient. All of them were older, probably 60s. Sad if they are back working because they have to, but great news because they are so much better than the few employees they had before.
That's valid here in coastal NC, too. Our local Lowes is now customer-friendly and the sales staff who are the most helpful are the older staff. It's become nice again to shop there. For a while it was not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement