Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 03:06 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times

Advertisements

I retired in 2017, at 62. Stayed retired for around 3 years before deciding to go back to work part time. I work retail, mornings from 9-2, mon-fri.
I just got bored cleaning the house and walking the dog.
I enjoy working, and I love that I can do it part time.
My husband still works full time, so we aren’t doing a lot of traveling. We do go out and have fun on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 06:32 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I'm 65 and still working a fulltime job, and in fact many weeks putting in 60-70 hours! I do it for the money, but also enjoy learning new skills which is good for my brain. Two years ago, I learned to solder and was making high frequency RF cables for military aircraft. Now I work for a different company assembling fiber optic communication cables for submarines. The current company frequently pays double-time for Saturday work.

I work concert catering jobs on the side. Last year, I made $72K between all of my jobs. Eventually my social security income will cover my property taxes, but I will still need other funds to live on.

And I enjoy working with people of differing ages. Socializing at a senior has zero appeal to me. Because of my high property taxes in NH (because we don't have state income or sales taxes), I intend to work for many years to come.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:22 AM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times
At the very start of Covid I stopped working and did so for 2.5 years. I just turned 65 at the time.

There was way more to that than just Covid. I hated where I was at especially because I was a victim of workplace bullying. Inept management was also a factor.
Covid just topped everything, the final straw one could say. I abruptly left without notice. One of the best decisions I ever made. Everyone has a breaking point and I reached mine. I was miserable and I had to make a move.

Been at current job going on 2 years now and it has worked out very well, way better than I expected and management loves me. I did it strictly for the money. A very bad now ex wife and previous health issues regarding both of us (debt that wasn't going away) forced me to go back. I work 30 hours per week in an office admin position with a small construction firm where I work with mostly older people. But I have a awful commute which is now a lot worse since the Key Bridge tragedy. I don't feel I have a lot of choices due to my age and I'm hesitant on taking a chance to leave for something closer to where I live. I'm fairly happy with the way things turned out and to say I'm enjoying my weekly direct deposits would be an understatement.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:41 AM

904 posts, read 666,403 times
Last month we flew to Phoenix. All of the flight attendants were older than us. The two gentlemen were in their early 70s. They told us they live in Phoenix and they like that they get free trips. The flight is easy Madison WI-Phoenix was under 3 hours. They did a great job. I have two high school classmates that are flight attendants and they are still working at 68.

Gone are the days when a 'stewardess' had to be a certain age and look.

I have noticed in stores there are more and more older greeters, clerks, cashiers, and floor workers. I imagine they are more reliable. DH has talked about doing that when he retires. About 12 years ago his job took him to North Dakota for a year. He was bored so he took a job nights and weekends in the Produce Department at Sam's Club.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I'm 65 and still working a fulltime job...I do it for the money, but also enjoy learning new skills which is good for my brain.

Socializing at a senior has zero appeal to me...I intend to work for many years to come.
Lunching and shopping with "the ladies" is pretty dull stuff, I agree! I prefer my interactions to actually be about something.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:48 AM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Gone are the days when a 'stewardess' had to be a certain age and look.
Yes, the world has gone downhill.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:48 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I think 9/11 and Flight 93 showed us how critical flight attendants are. None of that "fly me" nonsense.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:55 AM

7,829 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think 9/11 and Flight 93 showed us how critical flight attendants are. None of that "fly me" nonsense.
That's why I want young, strong, athletic flight attendants rather than old grandmotherly dinosaurs.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:18 AM

17,390 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Certain passengers have gotten so unruly that it almost seems necessary to have a bouncer on the plane these days.

Old 04-16-2024, 10:05 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Having worked for years where security was always forefront, I favor wisdom in the security people. The occasional bouncer is pretty good, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement