Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 08:42 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,198,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
Thanks! I WFH and traveled for a prior job. It was an excellent balance for me. My boss ruined the whole job. She was the most evil person I've ever worked for. I wasn't stuck in an office all the time. I'd be home a week and could knock out my work well within 40 hours, so I had some down time. Travel was love/hate. The early Monday mornings and late Friday evenings with delays getting home wore on me quickly; however, getting to see the country and go to different offices meant I didn't deal with the same people all the time. Plus, on travel weeks, I really only worked 3 full days. I didn't mind being in the airport for 2 of them....beat sitting in an office.

Too bad the company got bought out and the job was eliminated. I'm looking for something more along those lines, but I'd be giving up a pension and state benefits package---probably the one thing that would allow me to retire early. Since I've hated all jobs, this makes it a tough choice because I'm burnt out and barely can drag myself in everyday.
This is exactly why I stayed at my State job - for the pension and benes. Mainly the pension kept me continuing to sit at the desk everyday, though I hated it. Not having been a high earner all my life, I knew I needed a pension from somewhere to make it work, or I'd be working til i dropped dead. So I changed direction 15 years ago and went from the private sector to this govt job with that pension. The only catch was that I had to stay at least 15 years to hit their Rule of 80 when I could receive their retiree's health insurance for free. I had already vested in my pension after 5 years, but I had my eye on that free health insurance, because I knew even 15 years ago that healthcare / insurance costs were gonna explode (actually not hard to predict for anyone paying attention).

Though I'm not retiring early, at least it's a respectable age of 65.5. I really wish I could have stayed longer to increase the pension and SS, but I was lucky just to drag myself across the 65 finish line in relatively good health and with most of my sanity still intact (or at least dormant). I'll take it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2024, 01:20 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,770,499 times
I retired at age 62. I did nothing for 2 years. I was getting a bit bored. I went to work part time in the tech department of a major office supply store. I got to pick my days and hours. Mon., Wed., Thur. 11am to 6pm. I later cut back to two days a week. I surprised myself in that I did this for 5 years.

I liked the money but I did not need it. You get a different outlook when you do not need the job. Knowing I could walk away at any time gives a sense of relief.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:38 PM

490 posts, read 888,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
This is exactly why I stayed at my State job - for the pension and benes. Mainly the pension kept me continuing to sit at the desk everyday, though I hated it. Not having been a high earner all my life, I knew I needed a pension from somewhere to make it work, or I'd be working til i dropped dead. So I changed direction 15 years ago and went from the private sector to this govt job with that pension. The only catch was that I had to stay at least 15 years to hit their Rule of 80 when I could receive their retiree's health insurance for free. I had already vested in my pension after 5 years, but I had my eye on that free health insurance, because I knew even 15 years ago that healthcare / insurance costs were gonna explode (actually not hard to predict for anyone paying attention).

Though I'm not retiring early, at least it's a respectable age of 65.5. I really wish I could have stayed longer to increase the pension and SS, but I was lucky just to drag myself across the 65 finish line in relatively good health and with most of my sanity still intact (or at least dormant). I'll take it.
So, my job is basically the same. Ours is 10 years to vest to receive a pension; they contribute $x a month toward your health insurance upon retirement. $x a month for the number of years of service. I think it's 20-25 years will cover it all. Of course, the pension amount is your high 3 and based on years of service. If nothing catastrophic happens and I stay until 60, I could likely pull the plug and retire, using pension, 401k, and spouse's (who's older than me) SS. No debt except the house, and it's scheduled to be paid off before my 60th birthday, possibly before that. Maybe I'll shoot for having it paid off by 55.

I also came from private sector and the bureaucracy, politics, red tape, inefficiencies, idiots you have to work with, etc. are all maddening in the public sector; it's worse! I'm so burnt out it's not funny, but I make too much and the work itself is easy; it's all the other BS!

Old 04-26-2024, 02:10 PM

7,657 posts, read 3,290,883 times
Quote:
So, my job is basically the same. Ours is 10 years to vest to receive a pension; they contribute $x a month toward your health insurance upon retirement. $x a month for the number of years of service. I think it's 20-25 years will cover it all. Of course, the pension amount is your high 3 and based on years of service. If nothing catastrophic happens and I stay until 60, I could likely pull the plug and retire, using pension, 401k, and spouse's (who's older than me) SS. No debt except the house, and it's scheduled to be paid off before my 60th birthday, possibly before that. Maybe I'll shoot for having it paid off by 55.

I also came from private sector and the bureaucracy, politics, red tape, inefficiencies, idiots you have to work with, etc. are all maddening in the public sector; it's worse! I'm so burnt out it's not funny, but I make too much and the work itself is easy; it's all the other BS!

I was experiencing burnout. Then, I went from burnt out to numb. I recommend you hang in there until your burn out turns into a complete numbing effect. If you add onto that a lot of insomnia so that you have a chronic sleep deficit it also helps to tamp down your emotions over things. LOL. (see below link).

It sounds like you could shoot for 55 and it could make you happier knowing you can get out sooner. But, bureaucracy is difficult and it exists in larger organizations whether they are private or public. The pensions make it worse because a lot of people would like to make a move, but, they are handcuffed there too (in a sense your cell mates -- LOL).

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...symptoms-signs

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 04-26-2024 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-26-2024, 03:59 PM

7,172 posts, read 4,572,264 times
I can totally understand that it’s hard to be a state employee because it’s such a large bureaucracy. I’m glad that I hung in and received my pension. It’s nice getting a monthly payment and was definitely worth it.

Old 04-26-2024, 08:15 PM

7,657 posts, read 3,290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I can totally understand that it’s hard to be a state employee because it’s such a large bureaucracy. I’m glad that I hung in and received my pension. It’s nice getting a monthly payment and was definitely worth it.

Definitely worth it.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:09 AM

7,880 posts, read 3,866,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When I see a picture of a grandkid who, yes, looks like any other larvae, I ask for a name and is everyone healthy. Childfree by choice and I don't think I have the slightest interest in other people's, especially when it seems to be all that they (women) care about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And I hate the awful silence as they wait for me to tell them how beautiful or cute their babies are!

Just ask if they'd like to see a picture of your pride & joy.

Old 04-27-2024, 01:20 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,198,431 times
Quote:

I could have said this exact thing, word for word. Working in the public sector this long has taken it's toll on me for all the same reasons you state. It's stunning how many stupid and lazy people can be allow to keep their jobs with no negative repercussions. This would never happen in the private sector. It may be brutal, but as in nature, the private sector takes a Darwinian approach - survival of the fittest.

I'm beyond burned out now, to the point of numbness. But unlike another poster's opinion, becoming numb just made me feel unstable and unsettled all the time. Its a terribly unhealthy state to be in. There came a breaking point for me about a month ago after a disagreement with my boss when I suddenly knew I couldn't go on with the madness anymore. The following Monday, I notified our Employee Retirement System to begin processing my pension and insurance, then went online and applied for SS & Medicare, all to begin in June. So I've known for a month that I'm leaving in June, shortly after turning 65. You'd think armed with that knowledge, the following 3 months would be easier, but it actually hasn't been. Burned is burned. There's no reviving ashes. I'm just trying to get to June however I can. Then start the healing after I leave.

Was the pension worth it? I'm going to go against popular opinion here and say "no". There's always another way to achieve a goal. Speaking only for myself, I don't think the years of suffering were worth it.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 04-27-2024 at 01:54 PM..

Old 04-27-2024, 02:07 PM

334 posts, read 189,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I could have said this exact thing, word for word. Working in the public sector this long has taken it's toll on me for all the same reasons you state. It's stunning how many stupid and lazy people can be allow to keep their jobs with no negative repercussions. This would never happen in the private sector. It may be brutal, but as in nature, the private sector takes a Darwinian approach - survival of the fittest.

I'm beyond burned out now, to the point of numbness. But unlike another poster's opinion, becoming numb just made me feel unstable and unsettled all the time. Its a terribly unhealthy state to be in. There came a breaking point for me about a month ago after a disagreement with my boss when I suddenly knew I couldn't go on with the madness anymore. The following Monday, I notified our Employee Retirement System to begin processing my pension and insurance, then went online and applied for SS & Medicare, all to begin in June. So I've known for a month that I'm leaving in June, shortly after turning 65. You'd think armed with that knowledge, the following 3 months would be easier, but it actually hasn't been. Burned is burned. There's no reviving ashes. I'm just trying to get to June however I can. Then start the healing after I leave.

Was the pension worth it? I'm going to go against popular opinion here and say "no". There's always another way to achieve a goal. Speaking only for myself, I don't think the years of suffering were worth it.

The pension is good, but best of all is the healthcare. Combine that with Medicare and you'll have zero out of pocket costs for almost anything.

Of course, there's long term care, which isn't covered. I tell my kids if that happens, just leave me out in the woods overnight like the native tribes used to do. Think they know something we still haven't figured out yet.

Old 04-27-2024, 02:22 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
The pension is good, but best of all is the healthcare. Combine that with Medicare and you'll have zero out of pocket costs for almost anything.

Of course, there's long term care, which isn't covered. I tell my kids if that happens, just leave me out in the woods overnight like the native tribes used to do. Think they know something we still haven't figured out yet.
I thought that was going to be the case, but I was in for a surprise. I had some of the best health benefits in the country. $2.00 for prescriptions ($5 if name-brand), still have that, but I never paid ANYTHING for lab tests or the thyroid scans and biopsies I need every couple of years. $5 co-pay at the doctor.

I ASSumed that when Medicare kicked in (which I was also shocked to learn I have to pay for but then secondly shocked to find out my former employer reimburses us for Medicare premiums once a year) my healthcare from before would pick up everything not covered.

But then I got bills from the lab and bills for the last CT scan and the biopsy. They weren't big, $45, $60, etc., far less than some people pay, but still. I was surprised to get them. It is not the same.

I'm happy with the pension. I was never in a position to save. Now that I have this opportunity to work and make some money, I feel as though I'm catching up a bit, maybe not to the rest of you who have chunky investments and bank accounts, but I can put some away now so that my daughter will someday have the gas money to drive me to the woods and drop me off to decompose into the forest floor and provide snacks for the critters.

Actually, I would like a pod burial if it's available in the USA by then; if not, just put my ashes in the hole and plant a tree over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement