Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 02:13 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times

Advertisements

My diet is mainly low sugar, low processed, little meat.

My diet is more about what can I add.

More veggies? Top with nuts? Fresh herbs? Add some faro to the salad? More spices? How can I work in beans?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM

7,193 posts, read 9,332,580 times
I recently discovered that most wheat is sprayed with glyphosate to maximize yields. Glyphosate is toxic to gut bacteria. As a result, I decided to change my diet.

After many experiments with eating, I settled on this plan: Avoid all grains, especially wheat, corn, barley (used to brew beer) and rice. Avoid all sugar and HFCS. Both wheat and sugar drive blood-sugar levels up and provoke the liver to store fat. By avoiding sugar and grains, it’s easier to maintain low insulin levels and minimize converting glucose into triglycerides which promotes lipogenesis.

Avoid all fast food and frozen meals because they’re contaminated with wheat, emulsifiers, preservatives, HFCS, food colorings, glyphosate and other chemicals. Furthermore, they’re devoid of fiber and their fats included hydrogenated oils that promote trans-fat which promotes adverse health effects. Avoid all seed oils except olive oil and avocado oil. Eat only certified organic food. Avoid all fruit juices; just eat the entire fruit along with its fiber. Only eat when hungry. Eat a source of Omega 3 fats at least twice weekly, e.g. wild salmon. Avoid factory farmed fish. Try to achieve an eating schedule of just two meals per day, first at about 11 AM, then the second at 5 PM. That frees up 18 hours per day for digestion and fat absorption. If possible, proceed to just one meal per day.

The most amazing thing is that after following that plan I feel so much mentally calmer and sharper. I am no longer hungry, have no acid reflux and I've lost any longing to consume alcohol.

Oh, and I'm easily losing weight.

Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,302,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I recently discovered that most wheat is sprayed with glyphosate to maximize yields. Glyphosate is toxic to gut bacteria. As a result, I decided to change my diet.

After many experiments with eating, I settled on this plan: Avoid all grains, especially wheat, corn, barley (used to brew beer) and rice. Avoid all sugar and HFCS. Both wheat and sugar drive blood-sugar levels up and provoke the liver to store fat. By avoiding sugar and grains, it’s easier to maintain low insulin levels and minimize converting glucose into triglycerides which promotes lipogenesis.

Avoid all fast food and frozen meals because they’re contaminated with wheat, emulsifiers, preservatives, HFCS, food colorings, glyphosate and other chemicals. Furthermore, they’re devoid of fiber and their fats included hydrogenated oils that promote trans-fat which promotes adverse health effects. Avoid all seed oils except olive oil and avocado oil. Eat only certified organic food. Avoid all fruit juices; just eat the entire fruit along with its fiber. Only eat when hungry. Eat a source of Omega 3 fats at least twice weekly, e.g. wild salmon. Avoid factory farmed fish. Try to achieve an eating schedule of just two meals per day, first at about 11 AM, then the second at 5 PM. That frees up 18 hours per day for digestion and fat absorption. If possible, proceed to just one meal per day.

The most amazing thing is that after following that plan I feel so much mentally calmer and sharper. I am no longer hungry, have no acid reflux and I've lost any longing to consume alcohol.

Oh, and I'm easily losing weight.
If I was going to avoid all grains, including wheat, corn, barley, rice, all sugar, eat only certified organic food, avoid all fruit juices, never eat any fast food ever again, and everything else you listed, I would probably wish I was dead.

BTW, I eat all of these things in moderation and don't usually buy organic. My blood sugar is fine, my weight is perfect for my height and I'm not on any medications. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I never was anyway.
I'm glad you found your ideal way to eat. It couldn't possibly work for me. I like to eat a variety of food way too much.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

165 posts, read 95,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I think what is difficult about proving Bredesen's protocol is that it is so personalized. It's not "I took this drug at this dosage for this many weeks and this happened." It can be nutritional deficiencies in one person, infections causing inflammation in the body such as HSV1 or tick-borne infections in another, etc.

He talks about plugging the 36 holes in the roof, and maybe you can only plug half of them, but it might make a significant difference. It could be exercise, sleep, diet--things that aren't very expensive. He talks about making sure you don't need a CPAP because of sleep apnea. If not covered by insurance, that is expensive. Knowing your fasting insulin levels and A1C and monitoring your glucose throughout the day may cost you too. But it might also prevent diabetes so that's another plus.
So many of the recommendations may just contribute to overall better health in general, and if the brain is improved for some people, that's significant.

I do find that these articles all point to the significant cost of buying supplements or having testing. You don't have to buy HIS supplements. If you need fish oil, as long as it is high quality and the right amout of DHA etc, the brand doesn't matter. They want to claim his protocol is too expensive, but then let's look at the $26,000 a year drug that started out at least over $50,000 (remember the medicare monthly cost hike to prepare for the impact)--one that can cause brain bleeds and other side effects.

I'm not saying his protocol works, and he doesn't claim it works for everyone. But I don't see it causing harm especially if you know you have the gene and also family history. It might be worth a shot to explore some of the protocol, and the earlier you try to prevent, the better. I'm researching it, doing a lot of reading, and trying what makes sense to me. If I choose to do any bloodwork I will look at that too. In the meantime, it doesn't cost me to exercise, prioritize my sleep, and monitor my diet.

Old Today, 12:09 PM

165 posts, read 95,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
All I know is if I do keto all my labs go into the crapper. Cholesterol, to much protein in urine and inflammatory markers go up. So obviously a huge "no" for me.

From simply an observational perspective? My neighbor had come over after I hadn't seen him for a couple months. I was shocked by his appearance. My first thought is he must have cancer. Definitely thinner, but looked super unhealthy. He then went on to praise the keto diet he has been strictly adhering to. He looked 10 years older.
It is interesting that some keto followers do have increases in LDL with low triglycerides, and sometimes significant LDL elevations. And it can also be higher if you are doing intermittent fasting. There is a term called Lean Mass Hyper-Responder for people who are lean and following low saturated fat/low carb diets. Interesting read:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9048595/

Old Today, 03:16 PM

737 posts, read 453,371 times
I’ve always been health-conscious all my life, eating fruits/veggies/fishes and less sweets, exercising most days, etc. My blood work have been good, but my HDL has been 65 or lower. Lately, I came across a nutrition book written by Gisele (Tom Brady’s ex), and decided to try something I didn’t try before: cooking with extra virgin olive oil (I used to used avocado oil in high heat). I didn’t use olive oil much before because I know it’s bad with high heat, and I sauté foods in high heat with a wok. I used to eat steamed veggies.

Now, I sauté my veggies with extra virgin olive oil in medium heat, and used various and colorful veggies, trying some that I didn’t eat before (like red pepper, zucchini, kale). I seasoned the big pan of stir-fried veggies with the Kirkland no-salt seasoning and a dash of Maggie sauce, and they taste so yummy. I also cook some bone broth and sip it through the day. I don’t focus on eating too much protein like before (about 50g now instead of 80g). Eat more sprouted almonds and walnuts.

My last blood work was excellent after only trying this new way of eating for a month! My HDL was 75, the best I’ve had. My energy is better, and I sleep better too.

Old Today, 03:26 PM

737 posts, read 453,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My diet is mainly low sugar, low processed, little meat.

My diet is more about what can I add.

More veggies? Top with nuts? Fresh herbs? Add some faro to the salad? More spices? How can I work in beans?
I found the best way to work the beans into your diet is using low sodium canned beans. I don’t have time to cook beans, so I got the organic canned black beans (the beans were prepared/soaked to minimize the gas), and Amy’s organic lentils/vegetables canned (low sodium) soups- all from Costco. I eat white jasmine rice, mixed with the black beans (a can will be 3 portions, saved the rest in glass Tupperware in the fridge). I usually add some cilantro in the mixed rice. I ate that in Costa. On my busy day, I just heat up a can if the Amy’s lentil soup on the stovetop for lunch, and it’s tasty.

Old Today, 04:19 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
I found the best way to work the beans into your diet is using low sodium canned beans. I don’t have time to cook beans, so I got the organic canned black beans (the beans were prepared/soaked to minimize the gas), and Amy’s organic lentils/vegetables canned (low sodium) soups- all from Costco. I eat white jasmine rice, mixed with the black beans (a can will be 3 portions, saved the rest in glass Tupperware in the fridge). I usually add some cilantro in the mixed rice. I ate that in Costa. On my busy day, I just heat up a can if the Amy’s lentil soup on the stovetop for lunch, and it’s tasty.
Canned beans are great, I go through tons of canned garbanzo beans, I also have lots of dried beans, and pop those in the pressure cooker when I can.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement