Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 04:50 AM

882 posts, read 768,156 times

Advertisements

I’m an “everything in moderation” kind of girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 05:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Wow, that's interesting. Maybe you're an outlier.

Dr. Dean Ornish saved Bill Clinton's life (after numerous stents and quad bypass surgery) and reversed his heart disease with a diet similar to the MIND Diet. I, personally, have never heard of anyone preventing heart disease, diabetes, or arthritis with the way of eating you cited.

But you do you.
They just don't like the food. I agree with this diet, and it's proven to be a healthy way to eat.

That poster may WANT to think that a diet poor in vegetables and rich in red meat and pork is healthy, but every study proves them WRONG.

So now people are EATING along "political lines"?

My father, a conservative Republican was advised to eat the Mediterranean diet. He had a dismal family history, yet he managed to live well into his eighties and passed several years ago.

Before that, he cut out red meat at 60 and added fish.

There is no healthy "High Meat low fruit and vegetable" diet.

Old 04-24-2024, 07:59 AM

30,189 posts, read 11,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Wow, that's interesting. Maybe you're an outlier.

Dr. Dean Ornish saved Bill Clinton's life (after numerous stents and quad bypass surgery) and reversed his heart disease with a diet similar to the MIND Diet. I, personally, have never heard of anyone preventing heart disease, diabetes, or arthritis with the way of eating you cited.

But you do you.
I don't think the Harvard MIND diet and what the other poster was talking about are that far off. Both avoid processed foods and the carb intake appears low. My feeling is the Harvard MIND diet does not directly stop cognitive decline but instead aims at optimal health by avoiding processed foods and carbs. And doing that should have lots of health benefits including improved brain function.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:56 AM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
I think low carb is a term too loosely used.

The MIND diet has 3 servings of whole grains a day... for some diets that is super high carb.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2024, 09:35 AM

2,866 posts, read 1,813,122 times
skImbro000, I agree with, moderation.

Vintage, late 70's, lost 40+ pounds (5') I believe weighing most what I consume; after years
its become a habit. 10 or more pounds would be good.

Genes, I keep thinking of, Mama lived to be almost 94, Pop, 82, he smoked till in his 60's ? Worked as a musician, nightclubs, in the 1930's, 1940's when most people smoked.

Try to walk at least a mile most days, see walkers, usually, to me healthy weight, some a little fluffy like myself.

Old 04-24-2024, 03:40 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,683,391 times
The whole CARB question/debate is a can of worms, isn't it? Such a huge difference between all the variities of carbs...they are NOT the same animal for sure...

There are white flour carbs, stripped of most nutrients...no value in eating them for our health or nutrition...

Then there are whole grain carbs filled with nutrients. Brown rice, lentils, quinoa, beans, barley, etc. So nutritious...

And the GI level is important, too. How high our blood sugar responds...so important for diabetes/pre-diabetes...and our hunger levels. I just heard potatoes called "the ice cream" of vegetables since their GI level is close to ice cream--that was a shocker to me! Now eating less taters and more brown rice.

Sorry to ramble on. My health has greatly improved since I changed my way of eating...just want to share what made a difference for me. (high blood pressure now under control, rising blood sugar has fallen, lower cholesterol and trigylcerides...no longer gaining weight...

Here's to your good health!

Old 04-24-2024, 03:49 PM

30,434 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Whole grains..Green Leafy... nuts?

No. First of all I have no faith in Harvard. Secondly, that's the diet that nearly killed me; quadruple bypass surgery saved the day.
So I changed. I eat meat/eggs/cheese and cook with lard or actual butter. Eat chicken when I have to. Fish is OK, but I prefer red meat and pork. .....I never eat salads. Don't eat anything processed.

I've been doing it this way for three years. Age 79. No sign of decline. Full recovery from surgery.

Anyone notice they included margarine and butter in the same sentence? Margarine is just a chemical concoction.
100% agree.

Wife and I are both realizing cognitive improvement from a Carnivore diet.

Old 04-24-2024, 04:23 PM

733 posts, read 604,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I don't think the Harvard MIND diet and what the other poster was talking about are that far off. Both avoid processed foods and the carb intake appears low. My feeling is the Harvard MIND diet does not directly stop cognitive decline but instead aims at optimal health by avoiding processed foods and carbs. And doing that should have lots of health benefits including improved brain function.
This is very true. Both are focused on not eating processed foods, refined carbs, limiting grain-based food, more fresh food, healthy fats and protein. An emphasis on protein & produce is how I generally think of it. People can find what suits them individually according to health and taste preferences in terms of the balance of fats, protein, produce, whole grains, etc., but the fundamental principle of fresh and unprocessed is the same.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:29 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,935,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolfan View Post
The KetoFlex 12/3 diet has been shown in studies to help with cognitive decline. If interested, check out Dr. Dale Bredesen.
Dr. Bredesen's books are quite informative and provides specifics on the various vitamins and nutrients needed by our bodies.
I found several articles critical of Dr. Bredesen's methods

Bredesen Protocol offers false hope of reversing Alzheimer’s disease

https://alzheimer.ca/en/whats-happen...eimers-disease

Pricey Protocol Not Proven to Prevent or Reverse Alzheimer’s, Says UCSF Neurologist
Promising Research May Have Been Sullied by Shoddy Science

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/41...sf-neurologist

Alzheimer’s Inc.: Colleagues Question Scientist’s Pricey Recipe Against Memory Loss

https://californiahealthline.org/new...t-memory-loss/

Criticism of the Bredesen Protocol

https://www.apollohealthco.com/criti...esen-protocol/

Old 04-24-2024, 06:03 PM

733 posts, read 604,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I found several articles critical of Dr. Bredesen's methods

Bredesen Protocol offers false hope of reversing Alzheimer’s disease

https://alzheimer.ca/en/whats-happen...eimers-disease

Pricey Protocol Not Proven to Prevent or Reverse Alzheimer’s, Says UCSF Neurologist
Promising Research May Have Been Sullied by Shoddy Science

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/05/41...sf-neurologist

Alzheimer’s Inc.: Colleagues Question Scientist’s Pricey Recipe Against Memory Loss

https://californiahealthline.org/new...t-memory-loss/

Criticism of the Bredesen Protocol

https://www.apollohealthco.com/criti...esen-protocol/
Also this on the NIH website: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7377549/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement