Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 10:36 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Depends on which type of arthritis one has.

RA is caused by inflammation. Inflammation can be linked to high sugar consumption, so there is a dietary component. You can research this on line....

You're right, OA is often a joint wearing out or joint covering getting thin (hence bone-on-bone pain)...diet (except to reduce weight) can not prevent or cure it.

But being overweight puts more stress on the joints and can aggravate OA...

You know I eat like you do, but an anti-inflammatory diet will not prevent RA. It may minimize it's progression, and that is may, but no, will not prevent.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 11:03 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
If there's one test I'd insist your doc do it's a Cardiac CT Calcium test.
He brought that up but said at my age and the state of atherosclerosis that I have, the score would not make much difference.
He says my heart works well in spite of being sclerotic as hell.

This might be a good time to bring open the question, "Exactly what DID cause my heart arteries to become clogged?"
OK. I never had high cholesterol. About 200 every time I had it checked. It's down, now.

I never had high blood pressure - 130/80 most of my life but it did edge up to 140/90 so I handled that with medication.
I exercised. I walked. A lot. 3-4 years before the surgery I logged 750 miles. That's a lot of walking.
I never smoked. Not ever in my life.
I drink maybe a beer a week.

To me, the culprit was probably my habit of being 30 pounds overweight most of my life. Instead of weighing 180, I weighed 210. Size 36 jeans. Sometimes 37. And I followed the guidelines of eating salads, whole grains and all that stuff. Ate whatever someone put on my plate, basically.
So, I say, Cholesterol was never the problem and is not the stuff that clogs our arteries. Avoiding ingested cholesterol solves nothing, because cholesterol is not the problem. I am not sure what the problem is that clogs our arteries, but I don't think it's cholesterol.

OK. That's what I think. I think the average Dude or Dudette walking around 30+ pounds overweight is looking for trouble in their later years. Smokers and drinkers are doomed, also. Cognitive decline is coming for them along with the usual organ problems...

What do Y'all think?

Old 04-23-2024, 11:23 AM

163 posts, read 95,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
I eat like the MIND diet, but even a little stricter (basically don't eat any of the "only once or twice a week" foods.)

I have one copy of APOE4, and as to the intermittent fasting, I did 16:8 (fasting 16, eating 8) for six months and never once tested positive for ketones after 16 hours.

I've mostly backed off of that now and just do a couple days a week like that, but honestly when I was doing it strictly for months since I never went into ketosis and I didn't lose any weight on it at all (although I didn't care a lot about that), I'm not sure I'll even keep up the couple times a week.
From my understanding you can use MCT oil to help jump start ketosis, especially in the beginning. But having the ApoE4 gene also supposedly means you have to be aware of your saturated fat intake because the gene affects how we handle lipids. I will have to look at the ApoE4 forum and see what others have said about having problems getting to ketosis. I need to buy a ketone meter so I can see if I do reach ketosis after the fast. I was hoping to be able to assume I was. Do you mind my asking about your percentage or grams of carbohydrates? I have been trying to use the Lose It app to keep up with net carbs and trying to stay at 50 or below. That usually puts me at about 10-20% carbs so not full keto but certainly much lower carb than the average diet. I think the lower carbohydrates are one of the keys though for getting in ketosis.Thanks for sharing your experience.

I also am one copy of the gene and have just been trying to learn more for prevention in my case, and treatment for a family member. Maybe you can prevent or delay, maybe you can't. Maybe for some people you can reverse decline, and for some you can't. But if the drugs for dementia are not working for somebody, I figure it is worth a shot to try something else that won't harm you either. I am reading Dr. Bredeson's The First Survivors book where these people have written in their own words their experience with the protocol. It is quite fascinating to say the least.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:31 AM

163 posts, read 95,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I do that without even doing it on purpose. I eat dinner at 7:00 pm, don't eat again before bed, get up at 7:30 am, and eat around 9:00. I know some eat breakfast earlier, but isn't this most folks' typical way of eating?
I'd say a lot of people snack at night and if they eat breakfast early the fasting period isn't as long. But following a low carbohydrate diet in combination with the fasting is the key. You just can't eat what you want all day and have ketosis happen from what I understand. Trying to stay at 50 grams of net carbs or below.
Still researching and still learning so certainly don't have all the answers. The protocol is very individualized based on your bloodwork/test results.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:48 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolfan View Post
I'd say a lot of people snack at night and if they eat breakfast early the fasting period isn't as long. But following a low carbohydrate diet in combination with the fasting is the key. You just can't eat what you want all day and have ketosis happen from what I understand. Trying to stay at 50 grams of net carbs or below.
Still researching and still learning so certainly don't have all the answers. The protocol is very individualized based on your bloodwork/test results.
I try to not eat after 6pm, so that I am fasting at least 12 hours to breakfast. Water or tea is all I have in the evenings. I have cut out all white starches and I do eat carbs because I bicycle regularly, but on a whole, my diet is fairly balanced between proteins (maybe a bit tipped toward those), fruits/veggies, some whole grains and beans, etc. No processed foods, no sugary drinks.

I have a friend who does the carnivore diet. It’s straight up animal products (meat, bone marrow broth, eggs) and full on butter. No fruits, no veggies, no grains, no legumes. Seems like a cardiac event waiting to happen, but he swears by it, has sent me several YouTube videos by dr so and so touting this. I don’t know. Just seems very counter intuitive.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:40 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I try to not eat after 6pm, so that I am fasting at least 12 hours to breakfast. Water or tea is all I have in the evenings. I have cut out all white starches and I do eat carbs because I bicycle regularly, but on a whole, my diet is fairly balanced between proteins (maybe a bit tipped toward those), fruits/veggies, some whole grains and beans, etc. No processed foods, no sugary drinks.

I have a friend who does the carnivore diet. It’s straight up animal products (meat, bone marrow broth, eggs) and full on butter. No fruits, no veggies, no grains, no legumes. Seems like a cardiac event waiting to happen, but he swears by it, has sent me several YouTube videos by dr so and so touting this. I don’t know. Just seems very counter intuitive.
And its completely lacking many of the vitamins found in fruits and vegetables.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:26 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
It looks like the Keto diet except for the cashews and fruit.

Old 04-23-2024, 04:32 PM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
They have already got one arm and one leg off me. They aren't going to get my brain. Bxstards.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:36 PM

732 posts, read 601,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
This might be a good time to bring open the question, "Exactly what DID cause my heart arteries to become clogged?"
I have no idea, of course, but seems like simple genetics had to play a role. You may have been 30 pounds overweight, but something explains why in your case that coincided with clogged arteries, but in someone else's case it would not. What's your family history, particularly males in your family? That can sometimes be a clue, although certainly not always.

Old 04-23-2024, 07:55 PM

732 posts, read 601,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolfan View Post
From my understanding you can use MCT oil to help jump start ketosis, especially in the beginning. But having the ApoE4 gene also supposedly means you have to be aware of your saturated fat intake because the gene affects how we handle lipids. I will have to look at the ApoE4 forum and see what others have said about having problems getting to ketosis. I need to buy a ketone meter so I can see if I do reach ketosis after the fast. I was hoping to be able to assume I was. Do you mind my asking about your percentage or grams of carbohydrates? I have been trying to use the Lose It app to keep up with net carbs and trying to stay at 50 or below. That usually puts me at about 10-20% carbs so not full keto but certainly much lower carb than the average diet. I think the lower carbohydrates are one of the keys though for getting in ketosis.Thanks for sharing your experience.

I also am one copy of the gene and have just been trying to learn more for prevention in my case, and treatment for a family member. Maybe you can prevent or delay, maybe you can't. Maybe for some people you can reverse decline, and for some you can't. But if the drugs for dementia are not working for somebody, I figure it is worth a shot to try something else that won't harm you either. I am reading Dr. Bredeson's The First Survivors book where these people have written in their own words their experience with the protocol. It is quite fascinating to say the least.
Yeah, I've read a little about MCT oil but am reluctant to introduce more saturated fat. Honestly, although I'm interested in the whole ketosis theory as it relates to brain health, I'm not sure about how much weight it merits over other preventative theories. I do not count carbs at this point. I have found counting and all that just ratchets up a kind of anxiety related to trying to exert control over things that are not in my control. I mean, I adopt the principle and restrict carbs as a matter of practice, but I don't meter and count myself. It just makes me crazy and scared and I can't live like that.

I found out about my APOE4 allele just casually through a 23&Me test. I don't know whether the other one is e2 or e3. I started reading about Alzheimers and the gene and so forth and got a little freaked out, but it's been a few years and I'm not so much anymore. I do what various reputable sources say a person should do, maybe could do, and I try to do it all, but at a certain point psychologically I have to back off and not steadily feed a state of worry about it. I'm 70. No signs of cognitive impairment now, I'll keep up healthy practices on two fronts; those that help keep your brain from becoming diseased, and those the build up the reserves and neuronal connectivity as a compensation for any losses. I am unaware of any relative on either side of my family that developed Alzheimer's or dementia, so at least there's not that to also cope with.

I would be interested to know if my not reaching ketosis is something typical of APOE4s, but it doesn't seem like it would be related as it's a function of blood sugar. (My glucose has never been abnormal, so I can't attribute it to that.) Anyway, it's okay. If it doesn't happen for me, then it just doesn't. I'm not going to do 24+ hour fasts just for the sake of arriving at that outcome until/unless I'm convinced it serves some purpose. I'm not all-in on Keto to begin with, not so much with regard to low carb which seems sensible, but especially as it relates to high fat. There really are some things that are probably way worse for e4s and I think saturated fat, high sugars, and alcohol are a few of them.

Last edited by Jessie Mitchell; 04-23-2024 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement