Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 09:27 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I don't know if it happens to you too. But as you get older, it seems that you are somehow to blame for your own shortcomings. At least for some, like my own wife. I'm already in my late 60s; my wife is 7 years younger. So she's still pretty free of these flaws.
Although it is true that my ears are no longer what they used to be, as well as my vision and my capacity for love, I believe that I am far from being a real deaf person. It happens that she speaks as a mumbler, often when she has her back to me or from another room. But she gets furious when I suggest that she's a big part of the problem, and claims that I'm actually deaf.
Are there other retirees who feel pejoratively treated for their faults?
You almost certainly have some hearing loss. Instead of accusing her of being part of the "problem" (actually she is from my perspective), ask her politely and respectfully to help you accommodate for this loss by: Not speaking to you from another room, always turn thy head towards you when speaking and enunciate clearly!

Assuming that a hearing check reveals deficiencies, consider getting hearing aids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 09:40 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Chances are both of you are at fault. You likely have some minor hearing loss. Hearing loss is generally a gradual process. It's not like flipping a switch from good hearing to bad hearing. Your wife needs to be in the same room and face you when speaking if she thinks your hearing is going. If you have her with you when you get your ears checked they will tell her this. It's probably somewhere on google for you to verify. My husband had hearing aids. I also did my share to help by realizing I needed to face him and sometimes speak up a bit.

Old 02-25-2024, 09:51 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
This is painfully familiar.
Incomplete sentences, muttered from another room, with no leading statement such as "I have a question about ...." which would assist greatly in formulating a quick and accurate response.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:03 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Costco offers free hearing tests. DH says I am deaf, so I went to the hearing center in Costco & got checked out. I do have some hearing loss, but not enough to warrant hearing aids. He said make sure the person is looking at you, when they talk, & other small measures to help you hear them.

Old 02-25-2024, 10:54 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Seriously, get your hearing checked. Many people are overly resistant to having their hearing checked because they would be forced to admit they have hearing loss. My wife is the same way -- constantly asking me to repeat, asking me if the timer went off, says that it's not her but everyone mumbles, etc. When I tell her to get her hearing checked, she takes it as an insult when I'm being serious.

People seem to have no problem seeing an optometrist for glasses. Seeing a dentist for a cavity. But suggest a hearing check and they respond that it's not their hearing but everyone else mumbles and talks to quietly.

And yes, I've had mine done. My job required annual hearing (turbine noise) and vision (lasers in use) so I know I've lost some of the higher frequences, as well as some of the lower rumbles.

Old 02-25-2024, 11:28 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
I recognize my limitations. I think that of the 5 senses, I can barely leave the one of touch intact.
But my ears aren't too bad. I can still tell someone to ring the doorbell at home, as long as our dog is around.
There is a difference between not too bad and functioning.

Old 02-25-2024, 12:15 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Time to get your hearing checked. There might be some frequencies that your ears are becoming less sensitive to. It happens with age.

Old 02-25-2024, 01:12 PM

794 posts, read 1,859,943 times
My wife has lost her hearing and uses two hearing aids and she still cannot hear me at times. My voice is just at the range she has difficulty with. It really takes a toll on our communication and creates frustration on both our parts. This is where you MUST show patience and put yourself in your partners shoes. Empathy is something that increases exponentially the older you get!

Old 02-25-2024, 02:25 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times
9 years ago went to an audiologist, at the recommendation of a friend. The doc gave he trial bearing aids for a week. Went shopping in a store with them on,name out of the store 15 minutes later, Pounding headache from the noise !

Yes, I did pay more, he, the doc told me how to use them. Asked about my hearing, some loss in my right ear, hear only 40% in my left ear. After several years, hearing aids returned to the factory, no charge.

Inexpensive, might not learn how to use them. Stick them in a drawer, say they don't work. You sometimes get what you pay for; went every few months learning, ie sorta big brother, he put a monitor on me, could tell how often I was wearing them. Put them when I arise, take them off when I retire.

Taught family, friends, lovingly, speak to my face, speak out, not loud please. They are grateful I educate them to speak to me/us who are hearing challenged.

Old 02-25-2024, 02:53 PM

6,987 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Hearing loss is weird. Before I got my hearing aids, and when I don’t have them on, it can take several seconds for me to process what’s being said. It’s funny, like my brain has to think about what it heard in order to understand it. Also, for me, often I can hear and understand what’s said across the room or even across the house, but I can’t get it when it’s said right in front of me. Again, that’s without the aids.

Before hearing aides (and I didn’t even realize it) I was doing a lot of lip reading. I could understand as long as the speaker was in front of me and I could see their mouth.

I agree you should get your hearing checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement