Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 07:31 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times

Advertisements

Mrs 5150 says I often mumble the first part of my sentences. My problem. Not hers. Yet when I begin a sentence with "Cindy" pause then proceed she hears it all. She really doesn't notice sounds as well as I. Often I ask; Did you hear that? And she says no.

Two older friends. Have to repeat the original question twice. For some odd reason my other friends and younger coworkers understand me just fine. Am I a mumbler?

Thank you for reading my rant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 07:42 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,856 times
You didn't mention how old Mrs 5150 is. But you say that your older friends don't hear you and that younger co-workers do. You may have answered your own question - older people don't hear as well.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:44 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Normally, the mumbler's voice gets lower at the end of a sentence as opposed to the beginning. You are probably not a mumbler.

My husband lost all of his hearing due to chemo. He does not wear his hearing aids. I feel your pain.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:51 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Have you suggested she get her hearing checked?

Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
My husband can hear perfectly fine but he only hears about thirty percent of what I say lately. At least in your wife's case, she can get her hearing checked and it's possible the situation will improve.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:58 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,979,166 times
Feel your pain. My husband lost 30% in one ear. He refuses to try hearing aides. I refuse to yell or constantly repeat myself. This past week was the worst. His son came to visit us and I could tell he was annoyed at having to repeat himself.
It gets to the point where I will stop what I'm doing go closer to him and talk to him now.
So that he can hear me.

I pray one day he'll want to improve the quality of his life and use hearing devices.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:35 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
DH has a soft, relatively weak voice for a man. It has always been hard to hear him. This has gone on for 25 years. I had to say, "I can't hear you" three times tonight at dinner.

I do have some hearing loss, though it's never been tested. I can hear sounds behind me much louder than those that come from in front of me. Ambient noise is often quite loud, too. I can't handle heavy accents, particularly on the phone.

If he's doing that annoying thing where he's talking to me while facing directly away from me, I just don't respond. I think it's rude and I don't put up with it.

I found out years ago that if the brain doesn't get enough of a signal from the person who's speaking, it will make up words to fill the gap. This led to a few embarrassing social situations where I responded to what I thought someone had said. Now I keep quiet. Most people are only interested in listening to the sound of their own voices, anyway.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:48 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,165 times
You just may well mumble. I was fine till I met my new husband. He has some really bad communication habits. He likes to walk away from me while talking, AND..do it with a cigarette in his mouth.
He also has a very low and quiet voice.
He drives me crazy with this, and then says I have hearing problems! I had never questioned my own hearing until I met him and married him.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:12 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
I have some hearing loss and I also have tinnitus. If the person speaking is facing me, I don't have a really hard time hearing what they say, but facing away from me makes it very difficult.
Young people are often unaware that I have a problem and if I ask them what they just said, they frequently say, "Never mind".

On Saturday, I was having dinner with family and my 14-year-old granddaughter was relating to us that since school was dismissed early on Wednesday for the Thanksgiving holiday, they had played Bingo in one of her classes and she "won a journal". Those three words were said with her head down and I didn't say anything, hoping that someone would ask her how that was possible. A few minutes went by and I had to know - "What did you say you won?" I asked. She looked at me and said "A journal". I laughed and told her I thought she had originally said, "A urinal". We had a very merry moment but I think she got it that Grandmama has a wee bit of a problem.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
"Yet when I begin a sentence with "Cindy" pause then proceed she hears it all."

I have the same thing. I cannot process multiple sounds as quickly so when the husband is not facing me and just starts to talk, I miss the first part of the sentence until I "catch" the sounds. Usually the radio or the TV is on when he is speaking. For several YEARS, I have asked him to repeat the first part of the sentence, not just the end which I heard.

Noticed the same thing regarding sight. Focus doesn't change as fast.

We all are getting older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships