Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 01:22 AM

106,570 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

my wife says i just don’t listen when she talks , at least i think that’s what she says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2024, 02:39 AM

106,570 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
When I was 32, my wife sent me to an audiologist for a hearing test because she said I was having problems.
He tested me and said: “You have selective deafness. Many husbands suffer from this”.
i got pulled over by a cop last week .

he said do you know your wife fell out of your truck about a mile back ?

i said , thank god that’s all it is , i thought i was going deaf .

Old 02-25-2024, 04:44 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
My Wife complained about my hearing loss when she speaks, and at times, others. I did get tested, and the results showed that the higher tones were a challenge, and that most women speak within that range, men tend to speak in a lower tone and are heard a bit clearer. I did get hearing aids (10k ), and they do help in some environments, in others, not so much, so I use them periodically.

Old 02-25-2024, 04:55 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
The OP may have a point about not being able to understand his wife. My GF has TMJ and cannot enunciate well. I can't tell you how many times I have had to ask her to repeat something. I can hear her ok but I do have a problem understanding her. I don't have that problem with anyone else. I'd say that if the OP doesn't have a problem communicating with most people he encounters that he might be onto something.

Old 02-25-2024, 05:51 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Have your hearing checked.

It may be that you don't process as quickly now. We have our 3 year old granddaughter a few days a week and Mrs. NBP has started spelling words out that she doesn't want the imp to hear. I'm not processing the spelling as fast as in the fast. Plus she talks too damn fast then, usually she takes f o r e v e r to say something. Enough so that I remind her that I have fewer tomorrows left than I have yesterdays.
Bingo on the "processing" part....my ex tried to claim I "mumbled" all the time. I claimed my ex was getting "hard of hearing" and "should have hearing checked"... because no one else asked me to repeat what I just said.

But, as we moved to new area before we finally separated (this is not the cause), I noticed when I said something... anything in ANY VOICE EVEN LOUDLY YELLING..that ex's "processing" seemed to be off.

Ex: up at old house, with a clean out crew on hand, I had just had major back surgery, so I basically had to sit and issue "orders," on what was trashed and what was going.
I said to ex "grab those empty boxes on top the Safe". Ex looked EVERYWHERE BUT at the safe in the corner. mumbling my "order" 'the empty boxes on the safe'...I was getting a little heated...repeated it 4 times, each time louder getting frustrated!
I finally said" WHERE is the SAFE?"... Again ex is looking everywhere but where it sat for several years...I knew ex heard me.. mumbling my instruction...BUT apparently it didn't register!

At least 4 other times in that room was similar issue!

Even down here...there was stuff dumped on the dining table and when I said "bring the next box on the table "...ex looked everywhere and went up every table in the combined living/dining room BUT the table we were sorting/putting stuff away on!
I said " WHAT TABLE WERE WE WORKING ON??!!" again, getting angry.

I realized then that there was a disconnect in ex's PROCESSING of what I said..not what I said or how loud I said it.. because again,ex was repeating my words, but apparently wasn't processing the meaning of the words ex was actually repeating out loud.

My late ex FIL had dimentia, and he was stubborn anyway, but this didn't seem to be an issue with him?

Ex is only 64, so in the future ex could have lots of trouble if what ex hears is not comprehended or mentally processed properly!

So, DO get hearing checked, and see your primary care to ask who to see regarding this issue.

Best

Old 02-25-2024, 06:04 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
If she whispers "Let's do it"

Do you hear that?

Old 02-25-2024, 06:19 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My husband and I have the same issue. I know I am hard of hearing because I’ve been tested. I cannot, for example, hear the stove timer go off. My husband hasn’t been tested, but I’m sure he doesn’t hear everything either.

I think he has acquired an “old man voice”, which is hard to understand sometimes.

Anyway, I still would rather continue to say, “what?” than spend thousands of $$$ on hearing aids.

Old 02-25-2024, 06:28 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
selective hearing (no being able to hear spouse when negging) is common, especially after retirement or older age.

Works for dogs and roosters too. (and bosses)

No one can hear their own obnoxious kids, pets, self...
Are you sure this is what you mean? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negging

Old 02-25-2024, 07:46 AM

24,473 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Please get your hearing tested and take your wife with you. She needs to understand suggestions and options of treatments and how she can assist.
You will loose not only hearing but also comprehension and use of certain letters over time.
SO simply ignored his hearing aids for a long time. Now he figured out how to synch his cell, his work conferences with them. No more head sets and he is back to being an active participant in conversations.

Old 02-25-2024, 08:11 AM

268 posts, read 56,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Please get your hearing tested and take your wife with you. She needs to understand suggestions and options of treatments and how she can assist.
I recognize my limitations. I think that of the 5 senses, I can barely leave the one of touch intact.
But my ears aren't too bad. I can still tell someone to ring the doorbell at home, as long as our dog is around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement