Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 12:03 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I regularly shop at a Walmart Neighborhood Market and a Supercenter and I’m usually in one every other day as I buy my food in small amounts. I had no sense of what was going on until last Thursday when I went to do some shopping and had toilet paper on my list. There wasn’t one roll in the store, which alarmed me. There are seven Supercenters in my city and I made it my mission to go check the toilet paper status at each of them. When I got to the first shop after the initial fail they had some. A gigantic pack was the only size they had and people were lined up snagging them as quick as they were being put out. Every cart I walked by had tp in it. That would be the last time I would see any toilet paper available for sale, or bottled water either. I was in Walmarts on Saturday, Monday and today and they were out of a lot of stuff but there was plenty of food available you just might have to do some substitution. I loaded up ($57!) with a couple of weeks worth of stuff. I hope this wraps up in a couple of weeks. I have new reverence for our grocery workers! If anyone reading this is currently working in a food chain job, Thank You for your service!

I don't know if this secret is out yet, but Walmart also has toilet paper in the camping/RV section. We needed to make an old septic system last till we saved for a new one and so I started using RV toilet paper (made to dissolve in water more quickly). They don't sell it in the grocery section. In my store the RV aisle is near the auto parts aisle.

If there's an RV store or camping store nearby they might have it, too.

I also have a bidet attachment on my toilet. It hooks up to the toilet tank in 5 minutes. Mine was $30 on Amazon but last I looked they were up to $75.00. I bought mine way before this, several years ago before a back surgery when it hurt to twist. Cool water aside, it works well and we love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 12:10 PM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I wanted some boneless chicken, but all they had was chicken claws/feet. I am not buying those.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
This food hoarding has got to stop now. Have the National Guard start patrolling Walmarts.
I don’t know why stores are allowing this.
This is going to go on a long time. Rioting is going to start breaking out if people are hungry and can’t find food.

They just need to set limits. Our local supermarket ShopRite started rationing as soon as the hoarding started, limits of 2 on many, many products including meats, rice, eggs, paper and cleaning products, thermometers, some vitamins, etc etc. with giant signs advertising as much. While Walmart has not even tried to do this. Not complaining as I was able to buy 5 packs of ground turkey there the other day, but at ShopRite I would've been allowed to buy only 2. I haven't seen any problems there with the rationing that would require the National Guard. If Walmart did the same there would be more for everyone.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:16 PM

43,078 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They just need to set limits. Our local supermarket ShopRite started rationing as soon as the hoarding started, limits of 2 on many, many products including meats, rice, eggs, paper and cleaning products, thermometers, some vitamins, etc etc. with giant signs advertising as much. While Walmart has not even tried to do this. Not complaining as I was able to buy 5 packs of ground turkey there the other day, but at ShopRite I would've been allowed to buy only 2. I haven't seen any problems there with the rationing that would require the National Guard. If Walmart did the same there would be more for everyone.
Walmart give their store managers the authority and discretion to put limits.
If your Walmart is not doing that go complain to the manager there.

March 10, 2020

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...he-coronavirus
We have also authorized our store managers to manage their inventory, including the discretion to limit sales quantities on items that are in unusually high demand.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'll give you all a tip from a poor Appalachian.

If you're needing something like toilet paper on an emergency basis, check places most people won't look.
Gas stations often sell a 4 pack of TP, though at high prices. Dollar stores in rural areas far from the Targets will have plenty.

I was looking for TP and some other consumables for my grandmother and aunt who have not done adequate preparation today. I didn't bother to even look at Target. They're cleaned out. I did go to McCoy's Salvage Grocer in a poor neighborhood. They had plenty of toilet paper and plenty of food, though with the caveats of a salvage grocer.

https://www.facebook.com/McCoy-Salva...0354869335556/

That is an excellent point about looking for necessary things in odd places
. My niece was almost out of distilled water (for her sleep apnea machine) and checked at four different stores and couldn't find any at all. She called her dad to see if he had any extra bottles and he discovered that he was almost out, too. They sent my nephew out to track some down. He found enough bottles for all three of them at some unusual place (I think an auto supply store or a hardware store or something like that) where no one else thought to look for distilled water.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Walmart give their store managers the authority and discretion to put limits.
If your Walmart is not doing that go complain to the manager there.

March 10, 2020

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsro...he-coronavirus
We have also authorized our store managers to manage their inventory, including the discretion to limit sales quantities on items that are in unusually high demand.

I'm not complaining about it, like said I got 5 pounds of ground turkey. The only thing I can't get through multiple trips so far is my sugar free flavored coffee creamer. My only point however was, how about setting limits first before we start talking about calling the National Guard into grocery stores to stop hoarding.

I think it'd be easier on all the managers to have a national chain policy though.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
<sigh>. I’m going to stop reading these panic threads but as long as everyone is so focused on washing things down every hour on the hour ——-

I hope nobody has forgotten the handles of their walking devices. Canes, walkers, wheel chairs, etc.

Don't forget the wheels on the walkers, etc...….

Old 03-20-2020, 12:49 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
when this began, I thought "maybe this will slow the obesity epidemic"....

Please stay home. Dead people don't need toilet paper. How many people are out more than usual trying to get ready for the pandemic? Its here. You have been asked to help contain it by staying home.

15 days is what they are asking us. Can you do it? It gets easier every day. I am old enough to ask myself "is this trip necessary?". For me, the real answer is no. It is a way for me to do my part not to become part of the problem.

This is likely off topic.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:52 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You mean the shop rite in our town on the Pike by McD's and dunkin donuts? I was there yesterday about 10:30 am looking for ground beef, there wasn't any, nor any chicken. Just their higher priced steaks and roasts.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
YOU are the problem. Don't freaking overbuy and hoard. In order for this to work EVERYONE should have access to cleaning supplies. 50 bottles of bleach sitting in your basement does NOBODY any good, and in fact INCREASES the chances you personally will catch this.
Where did she say anything about 50 bottles of bleach? She said 8 bottles of bleach...…..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement