Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 09:58 PM

558 posts, read 340,170 times

Advertisements

SO is afraid to go into Walmart, doesn’t want me to go in and get sick, so we tried the pick-up last week. Went great, they packed up the truck(yes, we are now those TP/8 gallons of bleach people). Tried again this week, rice was out so it was cans of beans, which is fine. Pickup busy, try again later. Just checked on my pending order, 5 of the 7 canned beans are now out. The frozen carrots and Bud Light are still available, so not the end of the world. Just guessing the pickup backup will slow down when there is nothing to pickup.

Live near a HUGE Walmart, “We didn't find any results for "cereal" with the Store Filter you selected.” This is fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 01:16 AM

344 posts, read 418,695 times
I regularly shop at a Walmart Neighborhood Market and a Supercenter and I’m usually in one every other day as I buy my food in small amounts. I had no sense of what was going on until last Thursday when I went to do some shopping and had toilet paper on my list. There wasn’t one roll in the store, which alarmed me. There are seven Supercenters in my city and I made it my mission to go check the toilet paper status at each of them. When I got to the first shop after the initial fail they had some. A gigantic pack was the only size they had and people were lined up snagging them as quick as they were being put out. Every cart I walked by had tp in it. That would be the last time I would see any toilet paper available for sale, or bottled water either. I was in Walmarts on Saturday, Monday and today and they were out of a lot of stuff but there was plenty of food available you just might have to do some substitution. I loaded up ($57!) with a couple of weeks worth of stuff. I hope this wraps up in a couple of weeks. I have new reverence for our grocery workers! If anyone reading this is currently working in a food chain job, Thank You for your service!

Old 03-19-2020, 01:22 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,442,522 times
I was in a Walmart yesterday as my last shopping stop. Grabbed a cart in the parking lot, wiped it down with sanitizer. It was easy to keep 6 feet of separation. I used the self checkout. Hand sanitizer when I got to the car. Clothes into the washing machine and into the shower when I got home. Washed my hands several times as I unpacked things. Washed my credit card. Washed my smartphone.

Welcome to the new normal for the next year or so.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:48 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,928,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was in a Walmart yesterday as my last shopping stop. Grabbed a cart in the parking lot, wiped it down with sanitizer. It was easy to keep 6 feet of separation. I used the self checkout. Hand sanitizer when I got to the car. Clothes into the washing machine and into the shower when I got home. Washed my hands several times as I unpacked things. Washed my credit card. Washed my smartphone.

I found an easier way to sanitize after being out in the public. I just go through the car wash and leave all the windows down. The car and I come out squeaky clean and have a coat of protective wax on. Also the final blower stage of the car wash makes my hair look like Farrah Fawcett.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:59 AM

1,673 posts, read 1,938,087 times
<sigh>. I’m going to stop reading these panic threads but as long as everyone is so focused on washing things down every hour on the hour ——-

I hope nobody has forgotten the handles of their walking devices. Canes, walkers, wheel chairs, etc.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:38 AM

962 posts, read 617,379 times
Quote:

Well done sir. That's about all you can do.

I tried to do the same yesterday after a few shopping stops, but you definitely did if better than I.

No reason for me to leave the house for weeks now.

Good luck, stay well.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,830,123 times
Quote:

My husband has gloves on for the shopping cart. I use the plastic bags to pick up large items and put them in the cart, he can put them in the smaller bags. We leave all of our shoes outside the house, we use inside shoes indoor, no virus can be dragged in. We have not washed our clothes yet, but we wash our hands immediately when we come inside the house.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:35 AM

654 posts, read 638,829 times
Quote:
yes, we are now those TP/8 gallons of bleach people.
YOU are the problem. Don't freaking overbuy and hoard. In order for this to work EVERYONE should have access to cleaning supplies. 50 bottles of bleach sitting in your basement does NOBODY any good, and in fact INCREASES the chances you personally will catch this.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:59 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,830,123 times
We haven’t bought any bleach, Lysol, nor wipes. But we did buy more soaps, 8 soap bars instead of the usual 3 bars.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:27 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,183,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
YOU are the problem. Don't freaking overbuy and hoard. In order for this to work EVERYONE should have access to cleaning supplies. 50 bottles of bleach sitting in your basement does NOBODY any good, and in fact INCREASES the chances you personally will catch this.
Yes! Why would you be proud of hoarding in a crisis situation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement