Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 PM

344 posts, read 418,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I think it was just TP up until Sunday when Governors closed down schools & public places that set off "panic phase 2" which made the panic buyers run to the store to buy up everything else.
A large percentage of meals are eaten in restaurants and with that being drastically curtailed more people are being forced into the supermarkets. But I was in one yesterday and one today and there was plenty of food. The one I went into yesterday after the lunch hour was dead, the one I went into today around the same time was like the day before Thanksgiving with long lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 06:48 PM

35,205 posts, read 31,544,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
A large percentage of meals are eaten in restaurants and with that being drastically curtailed more people are being forced into the supermarkets. But I was in one yesterday and one today and there was plenty of food. The one I went into yesterday after the lunch hour was dead, the one I went into today around the same time was like the day before Thanksgiving with long lines.
The downtown association Facebook pages for the local cities are starting to list the places doing carryout or delivery. Most places are staying open for one of these, at least on a limited basis. People really need to order takeout to keep these places going.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Going very early is one thing I haven't tried, because they usually stock during the day at the stores I go to. I was waiting till mid morning thinking they'd have it stocked. I wonder if Fred Meyer here is now stocking overnight, due to unusual circumstances? I'll try getting there before 8 next time. At this point, I'd be happy with a tray of chicken breasts for pete's sake.
That would be what I would do. If you're in there at 6 PM pushing and shoving with the after work crowd, there won't be much left.

This is where seniors have a big advantage over the 8-5 office crowd. By the time I get to the store, everything set out that day is picked over. That's not even counting the use of the "senior time" at many stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
We can't get anything, been out of TP for a while and none to be had anywhere. I even tried shopping online at amazon, NUMEROUS other places and stores. We didn't hoard and we had no idea people would become so greedy and selfish. I saw video's online of people with tons of TP and fighting over it, one man was stabbed. Our store is basically out of everything. If everyone would have remained calm and shopped like they do each week there would be enough for everyone and the stores wouldn't be struggling to stock shelves. I'm ashamed of how people are acting. This is how people act in a crisis? May God help us all when it gets worse and I think this is just the start.
I haven't seen anyone act unruly. With that said, there was some lead time on this. I started buying a bit here and there for a couple of weeks, and now I have a sizable stash. The only thing I need to resupply on are fresh items and alcohol. It's nice to go to the garage and see plenty of everything.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 03-19-2020 at 07:01 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 06:58 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,958,498 times
What is so dumb about panic buying is you are upsetting the balance of inventory at the warehouse where the resupply comes from at the end of the day,each night by truck.
They keep an inventory of generally two days worth of supply,when it is stripped,the resupply takes a long time at the warehouse.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:59 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 19 days ago)

16,146 posts, read 21,284,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
YOU are the problem. Don't freaking overbuy and hoard. In order for this to work EVERYONE should have access to cleaning supplies. 50 bottles of bleach sitting in your basement does NOBODY any good, and in fact INCREASES the chances you personally will catch this.
While I am concerned about people hoarding, I think I am more concerned about how many posts, in this and the numerous other Covid19 threads, have posters talking about MULTIPLE shopping trips in a relatively short amount of time. Seems as though more people are afraid of shortages than they are of actually picking up the virus through 'social contact', as if grocery stores are an exception of some sort.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,831,733 times
I did my last little grocery shopping last week just to get the things I had forgotten--got stuff like TEN cans of ravioli, lol. It was on sale and I know there will be days when I don't feel like cooking a real meal. There is no end in sight to this situation.

I think I'll do my shopping using online delivery from now on. We probably won't run out of rice and beans or soup, but produce--carrots, potatoes, beets, greens, bananas, etc. Got lucky yesterday but this is probably the last time I'd dare to do this, friends from out of state came to visit and we went for a really long ride out into "mountains." Found a huge farm and it had a store attached. We were the only people in there so I grabbed some vegetables and we got fresh bread and decent cheese and oranges.

They also had seeds and I had been worrying about where to buy seeds. Now I can plant some greens and maybe by fall I'll have fresh beets, tomatoes, and carrots too, with any luck. No sitting on the balcony this summer as it will be crammed with vegetables, I hope. Can't get hubby to comply much with taking shoes off or leaving his jacket outside--but at least he's using the hand sanitizer and soap and water.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:34 PM

The problem is that the online orders seem to be taking a backseat right now.

I get it - no one wants to go into the grocery stores and risk exposure, but the stores are just stretched to the limit. Go in to ensure you get what you want, preferably off-hours.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:43 PM

5,042 posts, read 3,355,772 times
More things to worry about grocery shopping.......not keeping personal distance .....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ers-brawl.html

Last edited by Nerys52SoSilver; 03-19-2020 at 07:53 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 07:50 PM

17,585 posts, read 39,289,674 times
I am fortunate to live in a smallish city, home of Publix Supermarkets. There are several nice stores nearby where I can shop. That said, the scene here is much as many of you described: zero anything on the paper goods shelves, or sanitizer etc. I was lucky to even score some paper towels and Kleenex on Monday, now that is all gone, too.

I could care less about the TP, but I was getting scared about running out of pet supplies - I noticed those shelves were now dwindling so I picked up a bit more. I usually only like to buy what I need for a week, but I shopped twice this week to buy a little extra. A worker at the store told me there was no problem with getting food, they get trucks in every day, but the time of day varies. They now have purchase limits on many things in the store, especially meats and popular items. There was plenty of meat, chicken, fish etc., so I felt a little better. And while all the restaurants are closed for dine-in, many are still open at least for take-out so there's that.

I'm sure a whole lotta people are going to be a lot more appreciative of how good we have it once this is all over.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:02 PM

5,042 posts, read 3,355,772 times
Picture food situation NHS UK ambulance worker went grocery shopping....
https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen..._normal_times/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement