Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2020, 04:41 PM

7,056 posts, read 6,319,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I was in a Walmart yesterday as my last shopping stop. Grabbed a cart in the parking lot, wiped it down with sanitizer. It was easy to keep 6 feet of separation. I used the self checkout. Hand sanitizer when I got to the car. Clothes into the washing machine and into the shower when I got home. Washed my hands several times as I unpacked things. Washed my credit card. Washed my smartphone.

Welcome to the new normal for the next year or so.
I hadn't thought to do any of that! You really made me think of what we have to do now to protect ourselves. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2020, 04:46 PM

14,367 posts, read 11,763,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think it's very much on topic. I find myself wondering if it's going to boil down to people lying in the hospital regretting that third trip to the grocery stores for coffee, or captain crunch, or the tenth bottle of sanitizer, or whatever thing they thought was a necessity at the time.
People who get coronavirus aren't going to know when or where they got it. First trip, second trip, third trip...grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, who knows?

Old 03-20-2020, 05:13 PM

43,258 posts, read 18,396,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
People who get coronavirus aren't going to know when or where they got it. First trip, second trip, third trip...grocery store, pharmacy, gas station, who knows?
Everyone and anyone can be a walking "Typhoid Mary"

"Trust No One"

Old 03-20-2020, 06:50 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,160,869 times
I have enough food to get to the end of the month -- except only one or two more days of produce.

I love produce. But, frankly, I'm wondering if I should just go until next week with no produce and just stick with the staples and pantry products I have.

The more I read...I'm really getting scared to go to the grocery store this weekend.
I don't HAVE to go.

And besides, I pick all my own loose apples, peppers, etc. DO I want to do that not knowing who touched all over them. I suppose even in "normal times" you never know who has touch the apple you pick -- and you should wash it anyway....but now especially, I don't know that I want to buy food if I don't know who has touched it. (Bagged peppers or apples might cut down on contamination...maybe.)

Anyway, just my thoughts....let things shake out for another week...not that corona will be resolved by then. But I'm hoping officials might have a better handle on it....and a way forward.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:55 PM

16,081 posts, read 21,199,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The point is that every trip is a risk, so much focus on sanitizing and not enough on staying home instead.
I'll be making my first grocery store run in three weeks come Sunday. It will also be my only trip for the next three weeks, because if I can't find it at that first store I will substitute, find it online, or do without.
What I'm not willing to do is run from store to store and up the risk to myself or others over something that is a want and not a necessity. Every time you (general you) go out you increase the chances of exposing, or running across someone who has already been exposed, to the virus. So not worth it to me over something I can do without, but it seems to me like a lot of people are ok with that risk. I have seen some posters report on their grocery runs nearly every day for multiple days, why?

Old 03-20-2020, 07:14 PM

10,621 posts, read 12,160,869 times
Quote:
So not worth it to me over something I can do without, but it seems to me like a lot of people are ok with that risk. I have seen some posters report on their grocery runs nearly every day for multiple days, why?
I know....
My brother has a big family. And has been going to some store everyday!
I declare he's been to Costco (or some other grocery store) at least three times in the past week.
Says he's got to keep building stock for this family, AND he's buying for a friend who can't get out, also.

He's retired. So other than going to the stores he doesn't really HAVE to go out.
Where as my workplace IS still open (not to the public), and most people are teleworking now, but just those employees not teleworking are in various offices.

Maybe sub-consciously, knowing I'm going to work....I'm more cautious about going out to stores. Whereas he's not going out, and his going to stores IS his out of the house time.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:24 PM

43,258 posts, read 18,396,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I know....
My brother has a big family. And has been going to some store everyday!
I declare he's been to Costco (or some other grocery store) at least three times in the past week.
Says he's got to keep building stock for this family, AND he's buying for a friend who can't get out, also.

He's retired. So other than going to the stores he doesn't really HAVE to go out.
Where as my workplace IS still open (not to the public), and most people are teleworking now, but just those employees not teleworking are in various offices.

Maybe sub-consciously, knowing I'm going to work....I'm more cautious about going out to stores. Whereas he's not going out, and his going to stores IS his out of the house time.
I've been getting myself down to the beach with my morning coffee..about 9am
It's fairly empty and I can walk, drink, get some air/sun and there is plenty of space to keep distance.
Other walkers are doing the same.

Previously most walked along the shore and said "good morning". Now we're nodding and waving good morning.

I think it's a heck of a lot safer than trying to take a walk around my neighborhood..sidewalks too narrow and lots of others out there walking as well.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 AM

23,893 posts, read 33,638,629 times
My hub and I had just done a large shopping trip 2 weeks ago, but meat and the big TP I bought only lasts so long. I made a 4lb corned beef last week, the meat was more then half gone just from my husband who's 140 lbs soaking wet. 5 lbs of ground beef lasted till this virus hit. I have 2 adult kids, a 6 year old that's the size of an 11 year old and most of last week his 3 year old sister who's always hungry. I don't know how, she's tall and thin.

I'd stocked up on my grandsons treat foods, a pack of cheese dogs, 10 cans of mini ravioli with meatballs which are usually his weekend lunch. His 3 year old sister has been here, it's wiped out. They also wiped me out of the cold cuts I bought to make my grandson subs.

I'm thankful I picked up 10 lbs potatoes when hub and I shopped but I'll be out in another week after making corned beef and beef stew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Wow, yes, that is the one! I think they are getting more people than Walmart, as I was talking to a woman the other day while shopping in Walmart who said she and her husband split up, she took Walmart and he went to ShopRite. Walmart was weirdly empty, eerily quiet. But she said her husband texted her saying ShopRite was a madhouse.

Have you tried any local meat markets, etc? I have a relative who works at Bringhurst who said they are pretty well stocked in the mornings. And on the way back from my mom's ALF in Washington Township, there is a produce market already open on Fries Mill Road, where I was able to buy potatoes and other fresh produce. I was thinking of looking for local people who sell eggs, which I'm sure there are many in this area. I was going to try the Amish market in Williamstown but I feel like that'll be a madhouse, too.

We are pretty well stocked for now, in fact we couldn't get anything else in the freezer if we tried. But when the fresh items get used up I'll want to replace them. And trying to be very frugal with my coffee creamer as even before this Walmart was out of it all the time, now the whole case is empty. I was able to buy light cream at Wawa but it isn't the same. I know we are lucky if that's all we want for, but having even little things like that makes me feel more secure.
I run a FB group for my development. We have a post where we post what's in stock when we go out and what isn't if it's on the need list of neighbors. I've never gotten meat from the Amish market, my neighbors said the wait to get in is over an hour and a half. No way I could do that. I haven't checked the town talk FB group to see if they have a shopping post too. I'll be surprised if they don't have one

I'm just going to watch both Walmart's with the app for the ground beef and will check shop rite next week when I run in for more ravioli for my grandson.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:43 AM

5,246 posts, read 6,178,680 times
I think the thing that saddens me the most about this virus is the amount of hoarding I am seeing going on at our local stores.

Now I know a lot of Americans have a spare refrigerator or deep freezer in their homes but my god you would think judging by our empty shelves no one has any room for perishables at home any more.

We haven’t seen milk, eggs, and many other staples in a week. I mean does every one have that much storage capacity that this is going to continue?

My family is worried about the catching the virus but I never thought I would be dealing with food shortages. Maybe the first week but the shelves are continually being emptied. Even toilet paper shipments are still disappearing.

I actually have a few people I work with that brag about going into their store, getting their limit, checking out and coming back into the store after they put their groceries in their car to purchase again.

Social media and technology has been a great addition to our society but I also think it has become at times the glass in which the Koolaid is drank from.

My two cents, hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Remember those friends and family living alone. A simple call will always brighten someone’s day in a way you might not imagine.

Old 03-21-2020, 07:04 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,403,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I think the thing that saddens me the most about this virus is the amount of hoarding I am seeing going on at our local stores.

Now I know a lot of Americans have a spare refrigerator or deep freezer in their homes but my god you would think judging by our empty shelves no one has any room for perishables at home any more.

We haven’t seen milk, eggs, and many other staples in a week. I mean does every one have that much storage capacity that this is going to continue?

My family is worried about the catching the virus but I never thought I would be dealing with food shortages. Maybe the first week but the shelves are continually being emptied. Even toilet paper shipments are still disappearing.

I actually have a few people I work with that brag about going into their store, getting their limit, checking out and coming back into the store after they put their groceries in their car to purchase again.

Social media and technology has been a great addition to our society but I also think it has become at times the glass in which the Koolaid is drank from.

My two cents, hope everyone stays safe and healthy. Remember those friends and family living alone. A simple call will always brighten someone’s day in a way you might not imagine.
I live in a relatively small city and I've seen this going on here. I figured some things may run short or that big cities may have issues, but I didn't see it happening here.

Sam's was absolutely raided yesterday. There was no fresh meat, almost no frozen meat, very few fresh veggies, and everything was rationed. Fresh spinach and raspberries were one per customer. Forget any paper products, cleaning supplies, etc. Walmart is no better. The regional grocer's flagship store in a very rural town was completely fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement