Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 10:33 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Speaking of splitting butcher loads, I wonder what the deal is with companies such as Omaha steaks and others that deliver bulk meat orders. I wonder if they’re having problems staying stocked?
Our local butchers seem to be keeping fully stocked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 10:34 AM

14,421 posts, read 11,877,600 times
I think a lot of people are going to start realizing that for years now, they've been wasting untold amounts of food by throwing it in the trash the minute it reaches the "expiration" date.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:38 AM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think a lot of people are going to start realizing that for years now, they've been wasting untold amounts of food by throwing it in the trash the minute it reaches the "expiration" date.
I agree. My mother is one of those people. The very day it reaches the date, it’s in the trash. I took home two jars of peanut butter that she wanted to throw out the day they reach the best by date, they weren’t even opened. It’s ridiculous those numbers are made up there’s no science behind them. My brother didn’t want to use mustard at my house once because it was past the “best by” date, that’s completely ridiculous!

Most people don’t understand the difference between expiration date and best by date. Expiration dates normally refer to things like meats or milk that will go bad and are harmful once they do. All the dates on canned items and other things like that are best by dates. Even with things like milk though, if it doesn’t smell sour I’m going to drink it until it does. And I keep eggs much longer than the expiration date now. I can tell as soon as I crack one if it’s bad, and if I use it for hard-boiled eggs you can tell because they float if they’re no good anymore.

“...most mustard will last for 2-3 years beyond their "best by date".

https://www.eatbydate.com/other/cond...-mustard-last/

Old 03-21-2020, 10:38 AM

13,539 posts, read 17,094,394 times
My local Aldi basically has everything except toilet paper and bleach. I stocked up with a few weeks worth of canned food a few weeks back that's being kept in reserve. Went there today, still loaded with soups, vegetables, canned chicken, even a decent amount of tuna. the toilet paper thing is still an issue here.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:42 AM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Our local butchers seem to be keeping fully stocked
That’s good to hear!

Old 03-21-2020, 10:46 AM

163 posts, read 88,189 times
Went to the Whole Foods in Milford (Connecticut) this morning. Fairly well-stocked including ample ground beef, chicken, and even some soups.

Frozen pizzas and dinners were available also. They are re-stocking like crazy. Produce was plentiful and the lines at the register were not bad at all.

We'll get through this, folks. We just need to be patient.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:04 AM

3,558 posts, read 1,674,913 times
We are all eventually going to get the virus, they are just trying to spread it out over longer time period so hospitals and such arent overwhelmed. You get it, kinda crap shoot how it affects you. Might not even be aware of having it or it might kill you.

I am about out of raw produce and thats a big component of my diet so wondering what I will run into Monday. Some of this stuff people are hoarding is insane. Sounds like eggs in short supply. I assume nobody is hoarding produce. You do and you better eat LOT produce or you just end up with an expensive pile compost by end of two weeks. Most commercial produce stored long periods in cold low oxygen warehouses to reduce spoilage and avoid necessity of "in season" surplus sales at low prices. Anyway once its out of that environment it seems to want to make up for lost time.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:29 AM

4,858 posts, read 3,674,747 times
Here in the Seattle area Amazon shipping has really slowed down. We live on an island and we have no Amazon-direct deliveries. All by USPS, USP, Fedex.

I did have a couple of items, coffee pods and creamer ship today, dried onions and ground flaxseed (egg substitute) shipped.

They are out of stock (currently not available) on many items. Some items I ordered have an "in stock" date after 1 April. So I have a few bucks tied up just sitting there waiting on deliveries.

We are self-quarantining so no trips to the grocery store for us. Schwans delivered yesterday (bless them) so we'll eat. No fresh foods or milk products in the house.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:37 AM

23,178 posts, read 26,302,781 times
Since it appears that it can linger in the air for some length of time, staying 6 , 10, or 20 feet away from people isn't going to do much good unless you can hold your breath from the time you walk in the door 'til you leave.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:55 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,070,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Most people don’t understand the difference between expiration date and best by date. Expiration dates normally refer to things like meats or milk that will go bad and are harmful once they do. All the dates on canned items and other things like that are best by dates.
It does depend on what the ingredients in the packaged items are, though. I ran into a good example the other day when I picked up a box of these butter cookies that I have been buying for more than a year at Stop & Shop:

https://www.instacart.com/products/1...butter-6-17-oz

They contain no preservatives; the only ingredients are flour, Butter 27%, sugar, egg yolks, sea salt, skim milk, and whole eggs.

Unfortunately I didn't think to check the box for an expiration or use-by date, and only realized when I went to open the box at home that the date was almost a year ago: April 2019. And almost all of the dozen cookies inside the box were broken into bits. I strongly suspect that either the manufacturer or the Stop & Shop warehouses are shipping "old stock" in order to have the items on the shelf at the moment. I tasted a small bit of one of the cookies and it was definitely rancid. Ugh. Into the trash can it all went.

Anything similar (i.e., with a high fat content AND few or no preservatives) is probably dicey after the recommended date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement