Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 07:08 AM

5,044 posts, read 3,362,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'll give you all a tip from a poor Appalachian.

If you're needing something like toilet paper on an emergency basis, check places most people won't look. Gas stations often sell a 4 pack of TP, though at high prices. Dollar stores in rural areas far from the Targets will have plenty.

I was looking for TP and some other consumables for my grandmother and aunt who have not done adequate preparation today. I didn't bother to even look at Target. They're cleaned out. I did go to McCoy's Salvage Grocer in a poor neighborhood. They had plenty of toilet paper and plenty of food, though with the caveats of a salvage grocer.

https://www.facebook.com/McCoy-Salva...0354869335556/
Gas station here sell you old stuff. S/O came back with the only half sliced rye bread and the last box of potato flakes. Went to cook and see it is past the date expiry. Says 02/2020. Anyone know is this still edible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 AM

10,642 posts, read 12,220,563 times
I'm going to have my brother shop for me. He's already out.
If he can get what I need, I don't need to go out also.
I'm exposed to people at work. I don't need to be in grocery stores, too.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:20 AM

5,226 posts, read 3,164,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Gas station here sell you old stuff. S/O came back with the only half sliced rye bread and the last box of potato flakes. Went to cook and see it is past the date expiry. Says 02/2020. Anyone know is this still edible?
Of course it is. Food banks hand out packaged foods up to year past the expiration date.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:23 AM

51,314 posts, read 36,980,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My hub and I had just done a large shopping trip 2 weeks ago, but meat and the big TP I bought only lasts so long. I made a 4lb corned beef last week, the meat was more then half gone just from my husband who's 140 lbs soaking wet. 5 lbs of ground beef lasted till this virus hit. I have 2 adult kids, a 6 year old that's the size of an 11 year old and most of last week his 3 year old sister who's always hungry. I don't know how, she's tall and thin.

I'd stocked up on my grandsons treat foods, a pack of cheese dogs, 10 cans of mini ravioli with meatballs which are usually his weekend lunch. His 3 year old sister has been here, it's wiped out. They also wiped me out of the cold cuts I bought to make my grandson subs.

I'm thankful I picked up 10 lbs potatoes when hub and I shopped but I'll be out in another week after making corned beef and beef stew.

I run a FB group for my development. We have a post where we post what's in stock when we go out and what isn't if it's on the need list of neighbors. I've never gotten meat from the Amish market, my neighbors said the wait to get in is over an hour and a half. No way I could do that. I haven't checked the town talk FB group to see if they have a shopping post too. I'll be surprised if they don't have one

I'm just going to watch both Walmart's with the app for the ground beef and will check shop rite next week when I run in for more ravioli for my grandson.
An hour and a half wait! That’s nuts!

Old 03-21-2020, 08:25 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,463,039 times
I've had to make an adjustment to my shopping routine. My favorite and closest big grocery store, Fry's (aka Kroger) has been running short of things like eggs, chicken, dry beans (like pinto beans), etc.

Here in Tucson, there is a good selection of small ethnic markets, especially Mexican grocery stores or meat markets. I found one in the area that keeps a good stock of many things that are often sold out at the big grocery store. So, I will be driving to the "carniceria" once or twice a week. The other good thing about that little market is there are only a fraction of the number of customers that go to the big stores, so less people to mingle with.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Yes I am sure it is still fine. Consumer reports and many other groups have stated many times that there is no scientific standard for those dates, the companies come up with themselves. And in most cases for things like potato flakes, it’s a “Best By” date and not an expiration date. But again it’s based on no real science. They said many many things are still good way beyond the expiration date. Eggs were one of the few fresh items but they said you didn’t really have to pay attention to the expiration date and they were probably good for another 3 weeks past that. I’ve also eaten yogurt that was weeks past expiration date with no problems. If it’s bad you’ll know as soon as you open it.

https://healthland.time.com/2013/09/...ck-to-toss-it/

Old 03-21-2020, 08:27 AM

23,926 posts, read 33,779,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
An hour and a half wait! That’s nuts!
That was Wednesday morning too when most people are working or doing online school with their kids.

There's a butcher on Main street across from my chiropractor, I may venture over there next week to check it out.

One gal in my development offered me a few pounds of ground beef if I can't find it, I told her I'd let her know.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
That was Wednesday morning too when most people are working or doing online school with their kids.

There's a butcher on Main street across from my chiropractor, I may venture over there next week to check it out.

One gal in my development offered me a few pounds of ground beef if I can't find it, I told her I'd let her know.
That was nice of her!

Old 03-21-2020, 10:19 AM

23,926 posts, read 33,779,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That was nice of her!
Yeah, I thought so too. She says she splits a butcher load with another family, had some she could spare

The neighbors are really coming together trying to get the kids outside with side walk chalk and painting rocks like our town did last year

Old 03-21-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I thought so too. She says she splits a butcher load with another family, had some she could spare

The neighbors are really coming together trying to get the kids outside with side walk chalk and painting rocks like our town did last year
Speaking of splitting butcher loads, I wonder what the deal is with companies such as Omaha steaks and others that deliver bulk meat orders. I wonder if they’re having problems staying stocked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement