Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:36 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,363,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Why do most women say........................" everybody says I don't look anywhere near my age " ?
yes, it just reeks of desperation when I hear it. Ugh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,363,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I think that when one gets too hung up on the outer man they have neglected to work on the inner man.
I am 63, and look nothing like my dad, more like my grand father through photos ,even then I am in better shape .
I am sorry that the stress had take such a tole on you in the last year , but now is the time to start working on the inner you and develop wisdom and courage and faith and grace ,more so than ever before. We all have room for improvement .
Wallowing in ones losses does not help one over come them, it just digs the hole even deeper.
Some folk have one major event in their life, and the rest of their life is consumed by it by their making, making an issue about of it in every conversation .
Soon no one wants to be around them. self imposed pity party.
A phrase I prod my self with is ,
One is either a problem or the solution.
I hope to make a difference in my life being a solution. not the problem.

Bravo!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:47 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,950,002 times
To add perspective: Someone recently told my VERY elderly mom that she looked good for her age. Her response was interesting in terms of self concept: She said, "What did you expect me to look like? An old lady?" (and she made this gesture with her body all hunched over). The truth is that she is an old lady and she looks like an old lady. She has a walker and everything. But in her mind, she is still young and attractive. I must have inherited that tendency for self-delusion.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 AM

207 posts, read 567,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Yes, but regardless of what others are mentioning about what others think, I believe both imcurious and I are talking about what we think about ourselves.
I realize her question was "how do you cope with it?"
That part is important because it can affect the way you feel so the way to cope with it is accept it and avoid mirrors and cameras or make your new best friend a plastic surgeon.
Get Photoshop. I am a photographer so anytime I'm in a pic I make it just a little bit nicer. But I would also do that for anyone who wishes it and most people do.

Also, just get out there and exercise. It will make you look and feel better about yourself. Especially lifting weights will do wonders for you self-esteem. The heavier the weight the better (without hurting yourself of course if you're new to it). Downward Facing Dog is also great or any yoga move.

Check out this article on HP: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellary...fifty&ir=Fifty

Last edited by Coolcin; 11-12-2013 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM

850 posts, read 1,028,993 times
darkdining.com

Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,461,420 times
Ugly, like beauty, is skin-deep. How I look doesn't keep me awake at night. Far more important - to my mind, anyway - is how I feel, and what I think, and the relationships I have with family and friends.

I'm 61, and truth be told, I have enjoyed getting older. Things that used to be important to me ... like my rugged good looks ( ), or being "fashionable" with my clothing, or having a new car ... these things are so unimportant now.

My health is good, my wife and I have been retired for 5 years and are doing fine financially, our family is doing well, we're busy with a variety of things we like to do (rather than things we have to do) ... in short, life is good.

If the price of getting older is to lose my looks over time, that's a very small price I'm happy to pay just as long as possible.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,140,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

I'm 61, and truth be told, I have enjoyed getting older. Things that used to be important to me ... like my rugged good looks ( ), or being "fashionable" with my clothing, or having a new car ... these things are so unimportant now.
Amen!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,007,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcin View Post
Get Photoshop. [/url]
Yep, I was just working on myself the other day.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:21 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,007,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Amen!
Oh right. I bet if a handsome guy walked by you'd be all about what you look like, lol.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:27 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,672,459 times
I like myself.

I don't like the way I look now. I deal with it by not looking in the mirror any more than is absolutely necessary, which is, surprisingly, very little.

For instance, I don't stand in front of the mirror to brush my teeth.

I trust my hairdresser. I never look in her mirror.

Fluorescent lights? No thank you.

I have made changes in the way I dress based on unexpected glimpses of myself in unflattering mirrors. I wear dark colors instead of the white tee shirts that used to be a staple.

I don't weigh myself. I know I weigh more than is flattering. I figure that if I wanted to be slim more than I want to eat, I would eat less. I like to eat, but even 10-15 pounds makes a difference to arthritic joints, so I stay within a range of comfort.

I keep my clothing and myself clean and wear a light fragrance. Its really easy to let this one slide when you start to feel bad about your appearance. Also, clothing that is worn and shapeless gets tossed. An attractive at-home ensemble keeps my spirits up.

I can relate to your health issues. They caused the biggest, fastest change in my appearance, and it was devastating to me. I felt like I aged overnight. Now, I am 10 years out and have things under control, but I am 10 years older.

I have never been photogenic, but black and white pictures of me are the most flattering.

Can you still get glamour portraits made? The ones that were popular in the 90's (I think) where they did your hair and makeup. That might be fun. A nice present to yourself, or a fun day out with a good friend. A little fantasy is a good thing. The picture of Lucille Ball is beautiful, but I'll bet she didn't get up in the morning looking like that, even then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement