Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:51 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,221,206 times

Advertisements

I really cant even believe this is a concern for anyone. How vain can you be to have this be an issue. Who cares? How does this effect your life and those around you? probably not a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,747,822 times
I don't much care how I look. Time makes wreckage of us all. My stud muffin years are far behind me.

What *does* bother me is the loss of physical vitality that comes with age. My hikes are getting shorter and shorter, and I would never consider strapping on a backpack and heading for the mountains like I did 40 years ago. Things I do around home take longer, if I will even attempt them at all. Crawling into a tight spot with a pipe wrench is best left to younger men. The joints just don't bend like they used to.

Just be content with what you have. If nothing else, you are this side of the dirt.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,747,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
To be honest the way some of the younger people look and dress, they look and seem very unattractive to me - both male and female.
ROFL! What's worse than being old and ugly?

Being young and ugly!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:14 PM

23,177 posts, read 26,280,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
I really cant even believe this is a concern for anyone. How vain can you be to have this be an issue. Who cares? How does this effect your life and those around you? probably not a bit.
Good grief, Charlie Brown. Between the cosmetic Industry, magazines, plastic surgeons and everything else related , more money is probably spent on looks than is spent on the National debt!
You been hiding in the hog pen?
I hereby sentence imcurious, myself and anyone else that gives a thought to their looks to daily therapy...we're so weird we shouldn't have to wait for an appointment

Old 11-12-2013, 01:36 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,147,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post

I have thought about aging animals and I find them beautiful
And the feeling is mutual--your dog will always think you're beautiful, no matter how you change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh right. I bet if a handsome guy walked by you'd be all about what you look like, lol.
Not really, I'm kinda used to it. One benefit of volunteering at a fire house is you see handsome firefighters walking by all the time. Plus I'm married to a good looking guy (well, IMO anyway ) and I see him walking by all the time, too.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,520,753 times
I used to have a friend who would moan and groan when she saw a model or actress because that person was so beautiful and my friend wasn't. I would tell her that the person she was looking at was a standard who was held up to the rest of us as beautiful because she was rare. If everyone looked like her, she would be ordinary not considered beautiful. And she had on makeup, professional lighting, picture retouching etc. A lot of work.

But my friend who was just an ordinary plain Jane couldn't get around that. She still wanted to look like that woman in the magazine or on the TV or movie screen. It really bugged her sometimes. Unfortunately, this friend died in her early 50's. I would give anything to see her face no matter what it looked like and it always looked just fine to me and her other friends. I wish she hadn't spent so much time worrying about her looks and more time just accepting who she was and that people liked her for that instead of what she looked like.

A face is a face. You can change it by artificial means but you can't bring back time. There is no changing that.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,316,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That is so and I understand what imcurious is saying because I could have written her first post.
I don't mind the 'old' part at all. It is the 'ugly' part I am not happy about.
I had our wedding photo out for our anniversary party and the reaction of our new Florida friends when they looked at it verified it.
Many people look like 'themselves', just older. Others, and maybe this is what imcurious means, like me, look much different. Until I smile and speak, there's no recognition from those I haven't seen in a long time.

One thing that makes a big difference, in my case as well as with some others, is removal of the teeth. It causes a change in the facial structure and isn't always for the better.
One girl, always considered one of the cutest in school, lost her teeth at a very young age and was one that had to go for several weeks without for healing time. After that, there was no way cute or pretty would be used to describe her.
The only reason stress would make it worse, though, is the tendency to not smile much. making the mouth droop along with the already sagging jaw line.
So smile!

PS...if it weren't for the preferred anonymity of the www, I would post a before and after to prove it
I lost half my back teeth in my teens when the wisdom teeth came up way early and destroyed the roots of the molers. I've always since had this 'flat' look on my cheeks. Sadly I lost one of the wisdom teeth on the bottom recently and can't chew on that side. No partial dentures for me either. Won't take a chance of damage to existing teeth.

Someone said I had a 'model's face once. Models will hae molers pulled to get that 'flat cheek' look. Ugh, horrible.

My front teeth are all there, but bunched a bit and I'm not worried about them being perfect.

I'm going on sixty two, the age mom didn't make, and will soon have outlived her. But despite illness and calamity, I look decades younger than her when she died. She looked like an old woman. The interesting thing is I know what I'll look like. I can already see it. I'm going to be the image of my grandmother, though I've always looked more like mom before. And since Grandma never gave up and fought on and made her life hers to the end, I will be quite pleased to be her image.

I think its sad when older women do lots of surgery and still look like older women with a big medical bill.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM

31,690 posts, read 41,124,913 times
If ladies in their 60's allow themselves to be seen as men in their 60's see them they would realize that many of them haven't lost their looks at all. It is when they hold themselves to 25 year old standards that they feel wanting.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,012,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
How can I arrange to have celebrations from here on out only in venues with flattering lighting, I wonder. I might have to start carrying candles and pink light bulbs. No wonder there are jokes about weird habits of old people. "Necessity is the mother of invention."
Disco lighting?

Old 11-12-2013, 03:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,012,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If ladies in their 60's allow themselves to be seen as men in their 60's see them they would realize that many of them haven't lost their looks at all. It is when they hold themselves to 25 year old standards that they feel wanting.
You mean the husbands with a 25-y-o girlfriend?

I wasn't that self conscious before this thread started and today I'm looking everywhere for those lightbulbs. I also wonder about a wig that has big bangs.

Seriously though, this has stayed with me all day. I think the OP has more women in her boat than she realized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement