Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:41 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,555,722 times

Advertisements

I got a letter from my doctor a couple of days ago stating that he was retireing at the end of 2013. I am 66 and just am in the process of changing my part D insurer as of Jan 1. It does kind of throw things into a bit of a turmoil for me. I just wanted to spout off. Even though I have medicare, I think I am the victim of the unaffordable care act, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Lots are deciding to retire that have private practices but it shouldn't effect your part D.Now days more and more doctors are creating private corporation they own shares of and that centrally does everything for their practice.Mine is into statewide one and they own hospitals and he loves it since all he has to do is practice medicine without the running his business part.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,854,805 times
.... ? So are you suggesting that if it were not for the 'UCA', doctors would no longer retire and you would not be facing the turmoil of changing doctors? -- I'm not really a fan of the ACA and believe that it has been poorly thought out, implemented and administered ... but, what does that have to do with your doctor retiring?

Old 12-21-2013, 10:12 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,555,722 times
Well, texdav, thanks for the reply. I want to say that it does affect part d insurance very much. A doctor is required to write or otherwise order the prescription. Since in two weeks all my previous scripts are going to basically terminate since they were with one of the mail order companies. So, I need to coordinate finding a new dr, not knowing if they will follow what my old dr was doing and then asking the dr to give me all new prescriptions to a whole new pharmacy. All of that instead of just basically doing nothing. It is a whole lot more complicated than I wish to talk about right now.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,042,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
.... ? So are you suggesting that if it were not for the 'UCA', doctors would no longer retire and you would not be facing the turmoil of changing doctors? -- I'm not really a fan of the ACA and believe that it has been poorly thought out, implemented and administered ... but, what does that have to do with your doctor retiring?
Exactly. What a ridiculous excuse of a thread. I suppose if the OP gets a flat tire while driving to the drug store, he'll want to blame that on the ACA as well.

And on a related matter, I just love how it is apparently okay for the Government to provide subsidized health care to the OP, but when the Government provides it to those under 65, then the OP is somehow a "victim."

Old 12-21-2013, 10:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I think he is say doctors are reacting to change as all professions do. His doctor is aging and decided to go ahead and retire and not go thru changes coming. Where I worked with any big change we saw the same thing;people opt not to go thru the turmoil if they were close to retirement. He believes that is case with his doctors.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:40 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,668,730 times
can you get your current doctor to write new prescriptions before the end of the year so that you have time to find a new doctor? I know time is running short. I do think you should have been given more notice if possible.

good luck!

Old 12-22-2013, 12:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,190,820 times
I lost 3 Drs. this yr (while I still had Kaiser)... they were all younger than age 40.
None are staying in General practice, 2 left the profession and one headed back to school.

I'm sure it is just a coincidence, but I have not lost a Dr in my previous 50 yrs, unless they died.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,530,686 times
How are you a victim of the ACA? Doctors don 't work forever. Like any other occupation, doctors retire. Unless you have some information you've left out, your statement is irrational.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:42 AM

31,959 posts, read 27,083,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How are you a victim of the ACA? Doctors don 't work forever. Like any other occupation, doctors retire. Unless you have some information you've left out, your statement is irrational.
Yes, physicians are choosing to retire and or look at other options away from direct patient care in whole or part due to "Obamacare".

The ACA is a wide reaching piece of legislation that among other things mandates switching from paper charting to EMR (electronic medical records). Many old school physicians and or those operating on slim margins simply do not want the expense and bother of installing and learning EMR, nor having to pay for the same for their office staff.

My primary care physician retired early this year (was his patient for >20 years), in part he confided to me was not wanting to deal with the changes the ACA was going to bring to the medical profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement