Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 11:17 AM

15,647 posts, read 26,351,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
How have you coped with losing your looks (if you feel you have lost your looks)?

I had a couple of very rough years, and aged ten years in one year. When I see my photos, I think I look "ugly."

I am not sure what to do about this, because I am not going to be getting more attractive with age.

How do you manage seeing less than flattering pictures of yourself as you age?

I just processed a bunch of pictures and actually said, "You are ugly."

I think I am seriously ugly now. I used to be attractive, so it is a little disturbing. I would be okay with just losing my looks, but crossing over into ugly is too much.
Time for an update! New hairstyle, learn some new makeup tricks and add some new stuff into the wardrobe and evaluate your colors!

A number of years back, I went through what you were going through and discovered that -- for me -- black made me look much older. The color took away from skin tone, made me sallow, and was just too harsh.

It's out of my wardrobe, except in pants.

Also go in for some pampering -- facials, massages.... you might learn that your old way of doing things isn't the best way anymore.

Just shake things up a little.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:19 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,177,828 times
For me, there are some up-sides to becoming less attractive and older.

I was always preoccupied with my looks, well into my early 40s I was still consumed with how I appeared to others. Everything had to be right before I left the house. Perfect make up, hair, right shoes, bag, did I look right for going hiking, shopping or to a concert, whatever it was, I made sure that whoever glanced my way would be rewarded. And when I looked in the mirror I wanted to smile back and think, yeah, presentable.

Now I look back and think OH MY GOD. How could I have worried about things that were so unimportant?

It is with great relief now, that I am almost invisible, and no-one checks me out. Women are not jealous, men are not wanting my phone number. There is such freedom. I occasionally go out shopping with no makeup. None. And nothing bad happens. I am happier, more content, and don't have to worry about what impression I make. When I look in the mirror, I see a collage of my mother's family, and gently remind myself that I need to try and lose that little tummy. But it's such a soft voice that it doesn't really matter if I do or not. I eat well and try to be as active as possible.

For me, far worse than losing my looks is losing my reading glasses and having to actually prepare to read a label on a bottle of medication!

Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,604,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
For me, there are some up-sides to becoming less attractive and older.

I was always preoccupied with my looks, well into my early 40s I was still consumed with how I appeared to others. Everything had to be right before I left the house. Perfect make up, hair, right shoes, bag, did I look right for going hiking, shopping or to a concert, whatever it was, I made sure that whoever glanced my way would be rewarded. And when I looked in the mirror I wanted to smile back and think, yeah, presentable.

Now I look back and think OH MY GOD. How could I have worried about things that were so unimportant?

It is with great relief now, that I am almost invisible, and no-one checks me out. Women are not jealous, men are not wanting my phone number. There is such freedom. I occasionally go out shopping with no makeup. None. And nothing bad happens. I am happier, more content, and don't have to worry about what impression I make. When I look in the mirror, I see a collage of my mother's family, and gently remind myself that I need to try and lose that little tummy. But it's such a soft voice that it doesn't really matter if I do or not. I eat well and try to be as active as possible.

For me, far worse than losing my looks is losing my reading glasses and having to actually prepare to read a label on a bottle of medication!

I see there is at least one grown-up here!

Apparently many of us can age without becoming adults.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:28 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,081,283 times
yep;its like going to a reunion and talking .You hear from girls you knew but never asked out who say they had a crush on you and you tell others about remembering now hot they looked then to you but you never asked out. Nothing to do with today or wanting to date at this age. At 66 when a young girl tells me I look good ;I know its you look good for your age at best.I am more interested in dressing and basic physical upkeep for my satisfaction really.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,369,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I see there is at least one grown-up here!

Apparently many of us can age without becoming adults.

Great googa mooga!!! Couldn't have said it better myself, thanks!

Old 11-13-2013, 01:28 PM

16,195 posts, read 7,163,461 times
Such pretty blue eyes! I get compliments on my eyes just about every other day as well which is kind of nice since i am losing a bit of hair every other day.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,525,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Such pretty blue eyes! I get compliments on my eyes just about every other day as well which is kind of nice since i am losing a bit of hair every other day.

Thanks. I had deleted my post because I didnt think anyone would really want to see it but, now that you've commented on it, I'll re-post it.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,525,623 times
Since Caladium was brave enough to post her photo, I'll do so too. Here are photos of me at age 25 and at age 65 (2 years ago). I doubt I'll need to tell you which is which.

Being somewhat good-looking in my youth brought me nothing but trouble. I'm quite content with having lost my looks. I'd love to have the physical fitness that I did in my 20's but I wouldnt want to look like that again.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM

3,268 posts, read 5,029,604 times
On the one hand, I stopped coloring my hair and it's become a really nice silver color. In addition I let it grow (had very short hair for years and years), to almost shoulder length. I get compliments on my hair all the time, which feels really good. When I look in the mirror, I focus on my hair and not so much the turkey neck.

On the other hand, I can't stand to look at my body in the mirror. I hate what's happened to it, just from gravity. So I don't look at it. I replaced my large bathroom mirror with a smaller one that basically just shows from the shoulders up. And I make sure I'm clothed when I look in a full-length mirror.

So here's my advice to you. If you don't like the way you look in pictures, stop looking at them. And as far as mirrors go, find one thing about your face or hair that you do like, and make sure to compliment that feature to yourself every time you look in the mirror. Learn to ignore the bits you perceive to be ugly.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,960,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
I really cant even believe this is a concern for anyone. How vain can you be to have this be an issue. Who cares? How does this effect your life and those around you? probably not a bit.
HILARIOUS.

Posted by a guy...who just recently posted trash talk about women on a thread about appearance in the workplace.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post30403375

Who also posted on a thread about getting with VIRGINS.

Hilarious and pathetic.

And people claim to be OH SO SHOCKED that so many women have a preference to just hang with other women later in life. Who in their right MINDS would be interested in someone like THAT? ^^ Even socially.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 11-13-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement