Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think will be the fate of atheists after death?
They will go to heaven, no punishment necessary 5 5.68%
They go to hell for an eternity 19 21.59%
The shall be punished for their beliefs, but will be forgiven eventually 2 2.27%
Other (please explain) 37 42.05%
Don't know/care 25 28.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 PM

112 posts, read 128,016 times

Advertisements

As an atheist who loves to have a intellectually stimulating debate with anyone who disagrees with me, I often get told (verbal debates with Christians I know, not on good ole CD ) "you're going to hell" and "You will regret being an atheist one day" or something in those respects. I've always pondered the statistics of Christians who think atheists in particular go to hell, considering our beliefs directly contradict to each other more than say Judaism or Hinduism compared to Christianity. So, what do you believe will happen to atheists after death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:38 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,578,119 times
It is not a pretty picture.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
As an atheist who loves to have a intellectually stimulating debate with anyone who disagrees with me, I often get told (verbal debates with Christians I know, not on good ole CD ) "you're going to hell" and "You will regret being an atheist one day" or something in those respects. I've always pondered the statistics of Christians who think atheists in particular go to hell, considering our beliefs directly contradict to each other more than say Judaism or Hinduism compared to Christianity. So, what do you believe will happen to atheists after death?
We'll probably rot in the ground forever (or, until the Earth is destroyed by human means or the sun).

But, if I had it my way, we'd all take a cosmic trip to other galaxies (kind of like in star trek but better), singing "99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer!" as we discover "A world we've never seen! To infinity and beyond!"

But hey, that's just my hunch. I believe it'd be pretty kick ass.

Last edited by kb09; 08-22-2009 at 01:23 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,364,011 times
As long as I've lived a good life, helped my fellow man and respected the earth that we walk upon .. I think I should be ok.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:02 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Default Other (please explain)

On the basis of all evidence, we die, and that's it. If there is anything else, such as an afterlife, it's like birth and death. It's for all of us, not just those who pray to the 'right god'.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,353 times
I think the dead are dead and know nothing

I believe there will be a ressurection of the just and the unjust

I believe the unjust will be judged in front of the white throne and die a second death

at the end, I think also the unjust will raise from (second) death to take part in the olam haba, as God is the savior of all men as the bible says (1. Tim 4:10)

Old 08-22-2009, 05:59 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,864 times
They, burn baby burn....

Old 08-22-2009, 06:56 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
voted "other" just so I could see the results.

Dead is dead. No brain activity means no consciousness. Feed the cycle.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 7,014 times
Default Like to Zip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
On the basis of all evidence, we die, and that's it. If there is anything else, such as an afterlife, it's like birth and death. It's for all of us, not just those who pray to the 'right god'.
After all, we're also told there's a lot of different, proven and established god-figures here. They are either all correctly described, and the heavens are run by some sort of majority-wins annual-vote deity counsel, or there's really none, and we get to zip around the etherial universe as we see fit.

I like the later!

(Likely, there's just nothing at all.. As Aerequipa says; based on the evidence)

Old 08-22-2009, 07:43 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
I vote life ever lasting, since all the elements in our decaying bodies will go on to form minerals that will in turn renew life on our planet (well at least if you don't spend goozillion dollars on some stupid crypt).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality