Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think will be the fate of atheists after death?
They will go to heaven, no punishment necessary 5 5.68%
They go to hell for an eternity 19 21.59%
The shall be punished for their beliefs, but will be forgiven eventually 2 2.27%
Other (please explain) 37 42.05%
Don't know/care 25 28.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:52 PM

250 posts, read 246,056 times

Advertisements

you're funny. i bet if you tried it with people offline they'd find you funny as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
when people die, i imagine nature recycles whatever is left. if there is a spirit, we don't remember where we came from & we don't really really know where we may go. i prefer to believe in having spirit.

i think your question was meant to be, 'where does the metaphorical "spirit" of an atheistic person go after the physical body is no longer maintained'...

you're lucky that my gods are more generous than yours!

Kate

Old 09-03-2009, 12:09 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Were you there?
Were you?

Quote:
How can you honestly attribute this view to being a fact?
I'm not! Just saying that that is what the evidence points towards.

Quote:
Only faith ....
Oh yeah...'faith'. Isn't that the thing that allows you to break every one of the ten commandments without fear of retribution. With 'faith' you can also pontificate about the sins of being born gay, the sins of being born in another country, and pour scorn on the less well off, in the name of the Christ, of course. You can, with faith, kill Johnny Foreigner on the end of a bayonet, blow up infidels, claim two eyes for an eye, and argue that anything written by a sun-stroke victim from the desert must be the word of god. A wonderful thing, faith, it allows you to read all about eyes of needles and camels, and ignore the obscene wealth of the churches, it allows you to read about a man who hung out with twelve blokes, and then you can tell other guys who hang about with blokes that they are full of sin.

You can vilify paedophiles, and turn a blind eye to Father O'Malley's little indiscretions with the choirboys. You can read about a prestidigitator changing water to wine, and vilify those who drink, whilst ignoring the boozey breath of Father Jack O'Fondler. With faith, you can readily accept that men who never have sex are the ideal people to proffer sexual advice to young boys and newlyweds, and that elderly virgins are the right kind of people to teach young girls all about sexual matters.

Yep, faith, it's just wonderful!!

Quote:
Only faith ....B]history....[/b] that has confirmed every biblical prophecy that transpired as an event that was not only real, but fulfilled to the very "t".
Would you like to give us just one that can be verified to have taken place and does not rely on the Bible for confirmation.....and please, not the State of Israel!!

Old 03-22-2015, 06:15 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
What's with this weird poll? It's monotheist biased.

In all likelihood, atheists (and all religions) will not go to your afterlife. They go to theirs.

In the case of atheism, this involves simply dying and not going to any afterlife.

In Hinduism, this means reincarnation.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:27 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
As an atheist who loves to have a intellectually stimulating debate with anyone who disagrees with me, I often get told (verbal debates with Christians I know, not on good ole CD ) "you're going to hell" and "You will regret being an atheist one day" or something in those respects. I've always pondered the statistics of Christians who think atheists in particular go to hell, considering our beliefs directly contradict to each other more than say Judaism or Hinduism compared to Christianity. So, what do you believe will happen to atheists after death?

They will be reborn as fundamental "Moslems" and have to spend another lifetime buried in "Religion" up the their ears.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I figure god has had a bellyful of the religious sorts, pestering him all day with their prayers and petty problems, boring him to death with dull ceremonies and rituals, making up ridiculous rules in his name, endlessly flattering him and so forth. God will get his revenge in the afterlife and really put the eternal arm on that crowd. The specifics of their punishment I do not know, but I imagine it will be severe.

On the other hand, the atheists left god entirely alone, didn't ask a thing, didn't demand his attention, never assumed that they were beloved creatures of god deserving special treatment. For making things so easy for the Big Guy, atheists will receive some eternal reward, again the specifics are unknown, but I suspect it involves perpetual sex, drugs and rock n roll.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
What do you believe is the fate of atheists after death?

The same as everyone else's.

(But they get to go Business Class.)

Old 03-23-2015, 12:45 AM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
The question is foolishly simplistic. Truthfully, none of us knows. But the questions lumps all atheists into one category, which is clearly foolish. Some atheists are horrible people and others are not....so I really can't see how those of us who believe in an afterlife could think they're all going to one place or another.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
There's no evidence for any kind of afterlife so the question is moot.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:46 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
The same thing that happens to them when they die happens to all religious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality