Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,994,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
all the hypocrisy in christianity makes me glad i'm a buddhist, especially since buddhism doesn't discriminate against anyone and penalize you for circumstances out of your control (& the fact that the leader of buddhism has been proven as a real person). i don't see why anyone would want to belong to a religion that isn't accepting of all people.
Jesus is a historical fact too.
Christianity doesn't exclude anyone. And people misunderstand that sin is sin, all of which means NONE of us can die and go to Heaven. Period - Without believing Jesus saves us by grace. We can't work our way to Heaven, we can't do good deeds to get to Heaven, nothing we can do will get us to Heaven. Jesus said He is the only way.
It irritates me too to hear Christians say that "gays" are going to Hell because they're gay. They fail to differentiate between the sin and the sinner with gays. Yet they have no problem differentiating the heterosexual adulterer from his or her sin.
People are not gay by choice. The sexual orientation is beyond their control, just as the orientation of heterosexual people is beyond their control. And what about the people who have sexual interest in both? Are they acceptable sinners if their sin is heterosexual sex rather than when they commit homosexual sex? People, and Christians too, often categorize sins along some kind of least to most acceptable ranking. It's BS and completely contrary to the teachings of Jesus and the Bible.
One would think any person with a modicum of brain cells could see that orientation has nothing to do with choice. Sexual activity though does involve choice.
All sin is sin, and sin, whatever sin it is, will keep you out of Heaven, gay or straight, unless you're saved.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:31 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,191,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Jesus is a historical fact too.
Christianity doesn't exclude anyone. And people misunderstand that sin is sin, all of which means NONE of us can die and go to Heaven. Period - Without believing Jesus saves us by grace. We can't work our way to Heaven, we can't do good deeds to get to Heaven, nothing we can do will get us to Heaven. Jesus said He is the only way.
It irritates me too to hear Christians say that "gays" are going to Hell because they're gay. They fail to differentiate between the sin and the sinner with gays. Yet they have no problem differentiating the heterosexual adulterer from his or her sin.
People are not gay by choice. The sexual orientation is beyond their control, just as the orientation of heterosexual people is beyond their control. And what about the people who have sexual interest in both? Are they acceptable sinners if their sin is heterosexual sex rather than when they commit homosexual sex? People, and Christians too, often categorize sins along some kind of least to most acceptable ranking. It's BS and completely contrary to the teachings of Jesus and the Bible.
One would think any person with a modicum of brain cells could see that orientation has nothing to do with choice. Sexual activity though does involve choice.
All sin is sin, and sin, whatever sin it is, will keep you out of Heaven, gay or straight, unless you're saved.
Well, done and said. People do get confused with the sin and saved by Jesus!!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:38 PM

325 posts, read 1,409,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Amen. Nothing more truthful than this has been said here.

Old 02-12-2007, 05:31 PM

355 posts, read 843,123 times
Being born again doesn't mean you can't be a liar, adulterer, homosexual, etc.

Therefore, I don't see why homosexuals can't be accepted as Christians..

Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 PM

603 posts, read 1,997,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
Being born again doesn't mean you can't be a liar, adulterer, homosexual, etc.

Therefore, I don't see why homosexuals can't be accepted as Christians..
Exactly. In terms of sin, homosexuality is no worse than adultery or lying, so it really has no bearing on whether a person can be a christian or not.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:07 PM

702 posts, read 2,526,908 times
I certainly don't equate an individual's innate, very natural orientation toward members of his or her same gender with: murder, child abuse, or the ever-increasingly common INFIDELITY. Aren't christians just the condescending crowd? Including gays and lesbians with criminals, cheaters and liars is such a mean-spirited and unchristian-like judgement to place on a group of people, the majority of whom are not violent or dihonest. That is yet another gold star in the hate column for christianity. I'm turning the results in to god in a few days too...let's see what he thinks of all this.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:41 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,726,214 times
Exclamation I am a recovering homosexual

Did the headline get your attention? That was my hope. Now that I have your attention I will go out on a limb with you all.

As an evangelical Christian who has been bought by the blood of Jesus I too have had a colorful past. We all have in one form or another. We've all sinned, we've all made mistakes we regret. We all have secret sins we will never share with anyone. My secret has been exposed. I was gay. Yes I say was. Was I cured? No. Am I still gay? No. Do I tell people? No way. I'm telling you all because the security of this forum allows me to do so without rejection that will hurt me personally. I've been hurt so many times in my life because of this sin. Yes I said sin. I believe wholeheartedly that being gay is a sin.

Many will say that God created us this way and how can he send all gay people to hell? Sin entered the world with Adam and Eve. We are a fallen world because of that. Let's not get off on blaming God or Adam or anyone for sin. It is what it is. Let's accept the reality and move forward.

There is a long version and short version to my story. The short version is that I have dealt with these feelings since I was a pre-teen. I am now 40. I accepted Christ as my Savior at age 21. I am going to heaven because I accepted Jesus in my heart.

I have been in a few gay relationships both before and after I became a Christian. Deep inside me I knew it was wrong, everytime. I never believed being gay was what God wanted for me. He did not create me this way. In my life currently I sometimes deal with being attracted to other men. It is a difficult thing to deal with because I know what the Bible says and I have chosen to not act on my desires because my faith is much more important to me than my physical desires.

I am married to a wonderful woman who knows my struggles. We have two beautiful children. Some say that I was never gay because I am married. Everyone has their own opinion. Everyone is entitled to that and I've stopped worrying about making others happy with my choices. The only one I concern myself with is first: God and second: my wife. She is a phenomenal support for me when I need it. Although we do not talk regularly about it because it does make her uncomfortable.

Why am I being so open to a group of people that I don't know and could easily bash me and reject me? Because I want to take this part of my life and help someone who is looking for answers. Someone like me who didn't have anyone to go to. Who had to find the answers out the hard way. I want people to know that there are Christian men out there who deal with this issue quietly and have no one to turn to. I cannot talk to my Christian male friends, or non-christian either because many will just not understand. But that does not deter me from standing strong in my faith, no matter the cost.

I believe every man and woman has a choice to live or not live the life of a homosexual. But then you'll say, why would I want to be gay? It's not a choice, it's who I am! Yeah, but everything we do in life is a choice. You just have to decide what is more important to you (not to your friends, partner or anyone else....but you).

I am not condeming or judging anyone. You may read this and think so. Not so. I have been judged and condemend by so many people throughout my life because of this one part of me, I am the absolute last person to ever do that to anyone. Think about was said here. If you're gay, you do have a choice. If you're straight, Christian or non...try to make an effort to remember that the person you work with, or the buddy in your men's group at church might deal with these issues. Be sensitive. Don't coarsely joke about homosexuals. It's not an easy life...believe me.

Blessings!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,201,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
Can you be gay and a Christian at the same time?
NO .

Quote:
Does being gay go against what the Bible says?
YES .

Old 02-12-2007, 08:49 PM

23,025 posts, read 34,417,745 times
Hoosier67 Thank you for sharing something so personal! You have a lot of courage and I admire you a lot. You have a awesome testimony for the Lord and He will bless you for sharing this story.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 29,138 times
I thought God and Jesus are about UNCONDICTIONAL LOVE?
I also thought it is the christians that say Thou Shale Not Judge?
I could be wrong I have and some christians tell me that before.Don't worry I still LOVE them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality