Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:19 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,655,200 times

Advertisements

Even just a few decades ago, Christian preachers would NEVER describe a moral system in terms of being 'Judeo-Christian' or having 'Judeo-Christian' values. The term would simply be 'Christian,' or often, 'Godly,' which implied 'Christian.'

But now, 'Judeo-Christian' almost seems MORE popular as a descriptive term than 'Christian' alone. How often do you hear the phrase 'This nation was founded on Judeo-Christian values' as opposed to 'This nation was founded on Christian values'?

Why is this? Did any of the 'founding fathers' describe themselves as 'Judeo-Christians?'

As an outside observer, I find this very curious. The thing is, a few decades ago, 'Judeo-Christian' would not have made sense, because it would seemingly combine the Torah along with a bunch of Old Testament principles later repudiated in the New Testament into Christianity. Christians until very recently saw Judaism as rather heretical and pernicious, and were not afraid to express these feelings on the pulpit.

How, when, and why did this change? How do Jewish people feel about this? Do you find it progressive and inclusive, or do you think it is a cynical ploy to wrangle religious Jewish people into the political designs of certain Christian interests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 AM

364 posts, read 766,875 times
Judeo-Christian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

look here as a christian I believe that right.

One thing is ALOT of american laws are from the bible.

Deuteronomy is where most of our laws come from

Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,082,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post

Not even close to being correct.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,408,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
Judeo-Christian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

look here as a christian I believe that right.

If you look at the Criticism portion of this article, this is where I stand. I think that this term was "made-up" but doesn't make sense because of how different Judaism and Christianity are right now. Yes, they share Old Testament (although if you ask an Orthodox Jew, Christian's Old Testament is very different from their Torah). I don't share this argument, I think OT is a very well interpreted Torah/Tanakh. But Judaism's stand point as it exists today is that Christians believe in the false Messiah and Christians believe that Jews are misled by rejecting the true Messiah and THAT'S what makes them opposite.
Besides Judeo-Christian - there is a notion that it doesn't only refer to Orthodox Judaism, but "judeo" comes from Judaism and Judaism doesn't necessarily equal Jewish.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:28 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,277,208 times
It started because of the ignorance of so many Christians who deny that their god is the same god as Jews worship. It is simply a recognition that the two religions are inked in history and beliefs. You can argue till you die on theological differences, but it remains a fact that Christianity is an offshoot of Judaism just like Islam is. You could just as well call it the Levantine religions. It is never applied to describe any individual sect - only as a blanket term to cover all the different sects of both religions as opposed to Hindu's, for example.

And our laws are not based on the Bible. Most of them grew out of English Common Laws which developed slowly as the King's power was limited after abuse after abuse. The King claimed biblical power over the people and like everywhere that claims such divine rights, regularly abused the people. English Common Law restricted that power. Our form of government was based on the ancient Roman Republic which was invented by pagans all. Nothing biblical in it at all. The bible promotes the power of the state and slavish obedience - not individual rights.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,573,242 times
Or you could research and find that your Jesus was a jew and that his teachings were Jewish intrepretations of their gods will. Jesus never repudiated the jewish teachings and never stated that he was founding a new religion.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Or you could research and find that your Jesus was a jew and that his teachings were Jewish intrepretations of their gods will. Jesus never repudiated the jewish teachings and never stated that he was founding a new religion.
yet, new religion was found, whether or not Jesus intended for it to be found or not is kind of irrelevant. The term Judeo-Christian is only ok for Christians, and "who cares" that followers of Judaism find it insulting. Yes, we as Christians believe that Christ completed Jewish faith and Judaism, but Judaism observers DO NOT feel that way whatsoever.

Yes, there are Jewish Christians - Christians who are ethnically Jewish
Yes, there are Messianic Jews - Christians who are ethnically Jewsih who believe in Christ is Messiah but also follow many of Jewish traditional holidays and laws.

The truth is Jesus was a Jew and He did follow Torah even in terms of following Passover, keeping Sabbath on Saturday and etc... However, modern Christianity does not celebrate Passover, yet alone keep Sabbath on the Saturday. Christianity strained so far away from where it started from first Christians that it is hardly have much to do with Judaism or any kind of Jewishness at all. Therefore Judeo-Christian is not a correct term, contradiction if I may.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,004,834 times
Default Judeo-Christian: Valid?

Jesus' teachings appeared in many ways to be radically different than those of the Jewish religious authorities of his time.

The question to ask is, was Jesus reforming Judaism, i.e. addressing its faults & shortcomings? Or was he returning the practice of Judaism to its roots, to what it had been before it deviated from its originality, or became corrupted?

Would answering this question would help determine whether the term Judeo-Christian is a valid one?

Old 01-06-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Jesus' teachings appeared in many ways to be radically different than those of the Jewish religious authorities of his time.

The question to ask is, was Jesus reforming Judaism, i.e. addressing its faults & shortcomings? Or was he returning the practice of Judaism to its roots, to what it had been before it deviated from its originality, or became corrupted?

Would answering this question would help determine whether the term Judeo-Christian is a valid one?
The answer to this question may or may not determine, because simply put, for Christians, yes, Jesus is the promised Messiah and perhaps that makes Judaism complete, however, as we all know, the answer to this question is not the same for everyone. It definitely will not be the same answer for Modern Judaism as it exists today. I don't think Jesus came to reform Judaism, it was not His part. His part was to die for our sins and fullfill his Messiahnship. As Christians, we all know that it was prophesized by prophets that Judaism will reject Him as Messiah and therefore it will remain a separate faith from those who do accept Him as Saviour. Did Christ intend for Christianity to be the way it is right now, I think not. He never commanded for Sunday to become a Sabbath day, He never commanded to stop eating Kosher food, He was a Rabbi, He kept Torah. It is not how Christianity like right now.
Christianity is different from Judaism at this moment in time. When Christ comes back, it will be a different story.
Quite honestly, I don't understand why people have to add Judeo in front of Christianity? What is the purpose and what are they trying to tell by it? Are you embarrased to call yourself just a Christian? To me that means being "followers of Christ", why add Judeo in front of it, when Judaism rejects Christ wholeheartedly, passionately and really want nothing to do with Christianity whatsoever?

Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,573,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
yet, new religion was found, whether or not Jesus intended for it to be found or not is kind of irrelevant. The term Judeo-Christian is only ok for Christians, and "who cares" that followers of Judaism find it insulting. Yes, we as Christians believe that Christ completed Jewish faith and Judaism, but Judaism observers DO NOT feel that way whatsoever.

Yes, there are Jewish Christians - Christians who are ethnically Jewish
Yes, there are Messianic Jews - Christians who are ethnically Jewsih who believe in Christ is Messiah but also follow many of Jewish traditional holidays and laws.

The truth is Jesus was a Jew and He did follow Torah even in terms of following Passover, keeping Sabbath on Saturday and etc... However, modern Christianity does not celebrate Passover, yet alone keep Sabbath on the Saturday. Christianity strained so far away from where it started from first Christians that it is hardly have much to do with Judaism or any kind of Jewishness at all. Therefore Judeo-Christian is not a correct term, contradiction if I may.

By that logic, christians are not following the true teachings of Jesus. They changed his teachings to meet their, not his, criteria. Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality