Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:54 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

Are there differences?

What are the perceptions of the Christian Right?

Is a Conservative Christian presumed to be part of the Christian Right?

Has the Christian Right helped this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times
Conservative christians, the christian right. Its all the same. I live in Ted Haggert land, it is the skid mark on America's underpants, to be sure.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
I beg to differ. Painting with a broad brush is never good. I know many conservative Christians and they don't belong to the Christian Right. They vote their conscience. I consider myself to be a moderate (politically) Christian. Will probably vote for Obama unless Hillary gets the nod, then I don't know.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,126 times
Christian right?
christian conservative?
These are just sterotype labels the media love to give, they love coming up with new words and lingo, makes them look like good Journilist.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:36 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1210 View Post
Christian right?
christian conservative?
These are just sterotype labels the media love to give, they love coming up with new words and lingo, makes them look like good Journilist.
perhaps, but it isn't just the media that puts labels on people.

right wingers and left wingers label each other all the time.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
I don't agree with more than 90% of what the christian right says. But they aren't all bad.

I am no christian, but I do think that there is some good in christianity. Likewise, I am no conservative, but they have some good ideas also.

Sure, they have done some good, But in my opinion, they haven't done enough to make up for what they lack. Either way when it comes to politics I say the bird needs both wings to fly.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:00 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I say the bird needs both wings to fly.
That's a good way of putting it. Right now we are flopping around in a downward spiral.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
perhaps, but it isn't just the media that puts labels on people.

right wingers and left wingers label each other all the time.
Very true. The media contributes to this a lot but they aren't the only ones. Unfortunately a lot of people want issues simplified to make a nice quick hasty decision instead of thinking about the intricacies of the problem and the actions you have and their impact on others.

For example, you give Wal Mart your business, you help them keep a sweatshop in China going.

You move to AZ to retire and use a lot of water, thats water thats not growing crops in winter for the rest of the nation.

Very complex issues that require a lot of thought and intricate solutions if our society/nation is to stand the test of time. However a lot of people want to simplify things to one idea.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:44 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Depends on what you mean. I consider myself orthodox, which is a "conservative" understanding of Christianity. But my orthodox Christianity puts me at odds with the so-called Religious Right --- and it also puts me at odds with the a great deal of the Left.

Politically, I have no home. I disagree with the Republicans on a great many things, and I disagree with the Democrats quite strongly on a great many things.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,808,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Depends on what you mean. I consider myself orthodox, which is a "conservative" understanding of Christianity. But my orthodox Christianity puts me at odds with the so-called Religious Right --- and it also puts me at odds with the a great deal of the Left.

Politically, I have no home. I disagree with the Republicans on a great many things, and I disagree with the Democrats quite strongly on a great many things.
I agree, in my state you cannot vote Independent anymore, I do not like being pushed to make a one sided call when I can clearly see there are good canidates in both parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality