Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 03:35 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,251 times

Advertisements

And as long as I have to pay taxes I have a voice in what the government does.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:32 PM

47 posts, read 182,760 times
Good points Benny. I guess you know that Leftists would never tolerate such libertarian viewpoints. Nor would they tolerate freedom of speech, religion, or anything else if given enough control. The irony of leftism is a fact of history. It extorts and utilizes "diversity" until it gains control. Once empowered, leftism turns on its base and becomes a sadistical, intolerant regime. Leftist regimes have only two approaches to religion. Either eliminate all religions, or make them conform to the doctrine they dictate.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:56 AM

In my experience diversity is nothing but a codeword for anti-white, anti-american, anti-jew, and anti-christian.
Us white american christian jews must hang together or we will certainly hang separately.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:24 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,707,347 times
This topic has strayed severly from what I originally intended. The topic was intended to provide any hints at how the movie Brokeback Mountain has affected tourism in Wyoming. One thing many of you have proven is that Wyoming has at least 50 years to go before it catches up with the states on the east and west coast on the progressive scale. You folks shouldn't have to worry too much about loosing your spot as the lowest populated state in the country because I don't think too many educated people want to live there.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM

264 posts, read 1,095,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
One thing many of you have proven is that Wyoming has at least 50 years to go before it catches up with the states on the east and west coast on the progressive scale. You folks shouldn't have to worry too much about loosing your spot as the lowest populated state in the country because I don't think too many educated people want to live there.
LOL! If these educated people are the sort that we'd find in the circles you travel, then I hope you're right and "you folks" stay put. Besides, ask around and I doubt you'll find anyone here worried about "losing our spot as the lowest populated state".

Look, Wyoming is what America once was. If you want to call it antiprogressive then so be it. As for me, that's the medicine I've been needing.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 PM

269 posts, read 830,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post
Not to do a debate here, but lets rise above PC rhetoric and challenge the cliches that our society has been inundated with. Non-thinking people may sanctimoniously throw out the label of "homophopbia" as if it trumps all reason, but thinking adults should be way above this. Lets consider this at the basic level. The thing that determines what a person is, is what he DOES. For example: a mechanic is a mechanic because he fixes things. Not because he was born a mechanic. What he does determines what he is. Likewise, nobody says that a man who cheats on his wife was born as an adulterer (and therefore did not choose to do the actions he does). No, he is what he is because of what he does. A thief is a thief because of what he does. An alcoholic is an alcoholic because he drinks. Sure, he MAY have a pre-disposition to be addicted to alcohol, but he would not be an alcoholic if he never drank. Yet, for the sake of PC, our society is supposed to acknowlege "gayness" as if it were NOT identified by what they do, but to be treated as another gender or race. Go to a gay pride parade sometime and WATCH the things they do in public. If it were not for the fear of being un-PC, you would call it for what it is. There are all kinds of things that people DO that have not achieve the political blindfold of homosexuality. What about beastiality? What makes somebody a beastialist? It is the things he does with animals, which are as unmentionable as what gays do. Why don't beastialists get the pass for being "born that way?" What about beastialist rights? Hey, they are downtrodden and unnaccepted by society too you know. (Solely because of what they DO BTW). Is someone going to call me a "beastiality phobe" because I mention this?

My whole point here is that it is OK if people in a state or area (such as Wyoming) tend to be less inundated or more resistant to an agenda being rammed down their throats. To smugly call their independent mindedness a "phobia" betrays shallow thinking. If there is anything that ever was an opiate of the masses, it is this politically correct bandwagon.

BTW, when PC advocates cannot answer dissenting oppinion, they attempt to shout it down. If they cannot do that, they demand immediate censorship. They cannot afford the competition of reason in a free arena of thought. Therefore, after having their say, they will surely demand my post to be deleted. However, if the powers-that-be will honorably resist this demand, nobody need to feel offended. The remedy to cleanse ones mind after being offended by sound reason is simply to dutifully repeat PC mantras and hurl anathemas at closed-minded homo-phobes.
Double!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,256,600 times
Wow! I've lived in Wyoming for 37 years, straight as an arrow (except I lean a little to the right), and I've got to say, most people I know have no problem with gays. I think gay couples should have all the rights of hetro couples, and I believe that sentiment is accepted by the majority in Wyoming. I base this belief on my own experiences, so I could be wrong. I hope not. We're mostly live-and-let-live type of people who welcome most everyone.

I'd also like to point out that Wyomingites, as a whole, are not ignorant, uneducated people, as some contributors to this thread seem to think. As the jobs in the state demand more blue-collar workers than office workers, a college education is not a requirement for a livable income, but believe it or not, many people here can read, write and form thoughts on their own. We're just about like the folks from densely populated states, except maybe a little more independent and not quite as neurotic. And we like our extra elbow room. I moved here from Alaska. It was too crowded there! My late wife was born in Brooklyn and raised across the river in Westwood, New Jersey. She absolutely LOVED Wyoming and only regretted she hadn't found it sooner. (My current wife is from Oregon, and... well... enough said.)

And to the OP: I'm active on a couple RV forums and answer questions all the time from people planning vacations to Wyoming. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Devils Tower National Monument) gets mentioned frequently but never Brokeback Mountain.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 AM

Some of the most ignorant fools I know are highly educated.
Just because someone went to a university does not mean they are smart.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:23 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,864,990 times
I have been reading this thread and finding it to be rather humerous and ignorant. I will say first off that I am a believer in God and Christ and I believe that the Holy Bible is the word of God. Now that I have said that, I now want to ask this question to all of you who believe that homosexuality is against God's law, can you prove 100% that God the Father is truely the one true God and therefore his laws should be the only laws? I know I can't prove that he is the only true God. Can you also prove that Christianity and all that goes along with being a Christian is the only religion one must follow to be right? I know I can't.

I believe in God because I want to believe in something that is good, kind, compassionate and forgiving. But that does not mean that my beliefs are the right beliefs. How do you or I know that all the things spoke of in the Holy Bible really came from God or are truely God's words. We are mearly taking the word of man that the Bible is what it is said to be.

You know why I can't prove that God is the only God and why Christianity is not the only religion? It's because I have had people from all walks of faith and beliefs pray to or ask whomever it is they pray or talk to for me and for things that have happened in my life and within my family and things improved and got better, but I do not know which prayer was heard or which God answered.

I am glad that I live in a country, where we have the right to believe what we want and in whom we want. I am glad that there is seperation of church and state and that no one religion or belief should be followed. Our founding fathers did not want one religion dictating how the government is ran and did not want the government dictating which religion or beliefs we follow, because I'm sure that they could not prove which God is the true God or which religion is the true religion and therefore which laws should be followed.

Having laws against murder, rape, and theft do not necassarly come from a Bible or a book of some God's laws, those laws are good common sense and that is what seperates us from beasts. It's called being civilized.

So if we are going to make laws for this country based on one religion and one Bible, then why stop at homosexuality? Why not also make laws against fornication, and adultry. They too are sexual sins, yet I do not see anyone being excluded or banned against for having an affair or having sex out of wedlock. Why should a man or a woman who commits adultry be allowed to re-marry? Why should a person who has sex before marriage be allowed to marry? Why should a prostitute be allowed to marry? Afterall they have all commited sexual sins and these sins also go against the sanctity of marriage and the sin of adultry is directly named in the ten commandments, where as homosexuality is not.

Now I'm not saying homosexuality is right and it goes against my beliefs, but I can also say that I can not 100% prove that my beliefs are right. I also believe that God forgives all sins except blasphamy of the Spirit, and if he is the one true God he will forgive those who ask for forgiveness. If he can't or won't forgive us of our sins, then he wouldn't have given us free will knowing that tempations of sins lay around each and every corner. No one is without sin, (or what is defined as sin in the Holy Bible) and sin is a sin in the eyes of the God (at least the God I believe in) and no one sin is greater or lesser than another.

So if you can 100% prove that God is the one true God and Christianity is the one true religion, then I will be happy to hear you out about why homosexuals should not be allowed to have the same rights as hetrosexuals. Also if you can prove that homosexuality is an unforgivable sin and or the only sin then I will happily join you in casting stones. In the meantime, I am going to take the words of Christ to heart, "those without sin, cast the first stone." I am also going to take to heart the words of God, "judge not lest thou be judged."

Old 11-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Homosexuals would have you believe this is about rights. But it is not.
This is all about govt control. Homosexuals in this country are almost entirely liberal/leftist. They want govt control like the rest of the left.
Homosexual marriage by govt license is one more control.
Like I said before, I do not care if gays want to marry each other or if they want to marry a piece of furniture. BUT the govt has no right to sanction the marriage of anyone, gay or straight. Marriage licenses should be abolished. That would make this entire nonsense a dead issue. The govt should keep out of religion and religion should stay out of the govt.
How you want to get married is your business and nobody elses, BUT if you get the govt involved in your marriage then it becomes my business since I pay taxes that support the govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality