Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 PM

47 posts, read 182,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Which God are you talking about? The Hebrew God, or Allah? Perhaps you are referring to Vishnu?
Let's just put it this way, the God that created YOU put His law in nature and recorded it in words. If you oppose God's natural law and written law, you will naturally despise the God that gave them. I doubt he will care until judgment day, however.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Which God are you talking about? The Hebrew God, or Allah? Perhaps you are referring to Vishnu?
Judaism, Christianity and Islam all worship and believe in the same God. They just have different names for them.

Since it seems like everyone is cool with this thread spinning out of control, I figured I may as well clarify your theology before the thread gets (hopefully) shut down. While I'm at it, I once knew a guy named Vishnu. Had to remove my shoes when I went in his house.

Have a nice day.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM

108 posts, read 395,576 times
There is one thing that is to the point in the Bible, if you are homosexual, you will go to hell. If you believe that homosexuality is okay, well, that's between you and God. It's not hating or discriminating someone who's gay, it's God saying that Satan has interferred with His perfect design, and we are not doing anything to try to change it. Being gay isn't genetic or whatever all these people say, it is a choice. It is said that He will not force us to do or think anything, we know what is right and we have the option. We also know the consequences of doing it or at least not telling someone who is about what God says and trying to show them the way. If you are a Christian, it is your job to talk to these people and try to help them understand the truth. Satan has the world, and that is easily shown. It's also said that through time, more people will come out and be accepted by the government, and even some Christian or Catholic leaders. You hear the news, decide yourself.

Not trying to preach, but it is my job to say! Everyone is entitled to their opinion, what it seems like (with a lot, not just this subject) is no one thinks about how that decision will affect them in the long run.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:07 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,245,559 times
I know some gay people, I have some friends who are gay. I dont think these people chose to be gay. I think all of us are to some degree shaped by our environments. Somebody who is emotionally somewhere between being gay and straight can be easily influenced to make his/her life one way or the other. When society makes it too easy to be gay we are not doing a service to those who are on the fence.
A similar argument to the gay is normal idea is this: It is quite natural for men to rape, act violent and have multiple girlfriends and multiple children by many different women. Should we make it legal and actually encourage men to do so just because it is a man's nature to do so?
Just because something is natural doesn't make it right or desirable.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 AM

116 posts, read 450,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Bound View Post
Skunkape-why do you feel this should be deleted????
I just meant my post, not the thread. Sorry.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 AM

People need to be more tolerant of posts and threads that they disagree with. If we dont hear an opposing view then we are limiting our intellectual growth. Even if you disagree with something you may still get something out of it; you may learn something new or better understand people who live with us in this country.
As long as a post doesn't threaten someone I dont see a problem with it.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:14 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
[font="Comic Sans MS"]
However, Utah - which is just down the road - is known for having one of the highest concentrations of gay people in one place (Salt Lake City) in the country.
Where'd you get this info from? I'm curious...Salt Lake City is heavily conservative, with its huge Mormon population. Maybe it has the highest concentration of "closeted" gay people? lol...but highest concentration of "gay people" in one place, I find very hard to believe.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post
Not to do a debate here, but lets rise above PC rhetoric and challenge the cliches that our society has been inundated with. Non-thinking people may sanctimoniously throw out the label of "homophopbia" as if it trumps all reason, but thinking adults should be way above this. Lets consider this at the basic level. The thing that determines what a person is, is what he DOES. For example: a mechanic is a mechanic because he fixes things. Not because he was born a mechanic. What he does determines what he is. Likewise, nobody says that a man who cheats on his wife was born as an adulterer (and therefore did not choose to do the actions he does). No, he is what he is because of what he does. A thief is a thief because of what he does. An alcoholic is an alcoholic because he drinks. Sure, he MAY have a pre-disposition to be addicted to alcohol, but he would not be an alcoholic if he never drank. Yet, for the sake of PC, our society is supposed to acknowlege "gayness" as if it were NOT identified by what they do, but to be treated as another gender or race. Go to a gay pride parade sometime and WATCH the things they do in public. If it were not for the fear of being un-PC, you would call it for what it is. There are all kinds of things that people DO that have not achieve the political blindfold of homosexuality. What about beastiality? What makes somebody a beastialist? It is the things he does with animals, which are as unmentionable as what gays do. Why don't beastialists get the pass for being "born that way?" What about beastialist rights? Hey, they are downtrodden and unnaccepted by society too you know. (Solely because of what they DO BTW). Is someone going to call me a "beastiality phobe" because I mention this?

My whole point here is that it is OK if people in a state or area (such as Wyoming) tend to be less inundated or more resistant to an agenda being rammed down their throats. To smugly call their independent mindedness a "phobia" betrays shallow thinking. If there is anything that ever was an opiate of the masses, it is this politically correct bandwagon.

BTW, when PC advocates cannot answer dissenting oppinion, they attempt to shout it down. If they cannot do that, they demand immediate censorship. They cannot afford the competition of reason in a free arena of thought. Therefore, after having their say, they will surely demand my post to be deleted. However, if the powers-that-be will honorably resist this demand, nobody need to feel offended. The remedy to cleanse ones mind after being offended by sound reason is simply to dutifully repeat PC mantras and hurl anathemas at closed-minded homo-phobes.
I think if you had some gay friends, you would change your thinking. It's just a lack of experience, being around people different than yourself. You should get to know some diverse people, they won't bite.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
A few points here:
1. The majority of westerns were shot in Hollywood California, the San Fernando Valley(northern Los Angeles), and other areas near Los Angeles.
2. Being Homosexual and performing homosexual acts are 2 different things.
3. I do not care if someone is homosexual. I have homosexual friends and their lives are theirs to live. My problem is when homosexuals try to subvert my religion and it's beliefs to allow them to be married to the same sex. My religion(and most religions, if not all) state quite clearly that marriage is between a man and a woman. If you dont like that then you are free to get married elsewhere. Dont bastardize my religion by becoming ordained and then ignoring clearly stated biblical laws to satisfy your leftist agenda. Leftists join organizations to subvert them and religious institutions are not exempt from this infiltration. I do not believe in mohammad and therefore I am not a muslim, I do not believe in buddha and therefore I am not a buddhist. So why would I join these religions? But people who believe in same sex marriage are frequently members of religions that prohibit same sex marriage and ignore those teachings.
If you want me to be tolerant of you then you need to be tolerant of me.
A marriage has nothing to do with religion. It "CAN" be a religious ceremony, but that is a *choice*, they do not go hand-in-hand. See definitions below:

marriage - 8 dictionary results
mar⋅riage   /ˈmærɪdʒ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [mar-ij] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.
2. the state, condition, or relationship of being married; wedlock: a happy marriage.
3. the legal or religious ceremony that formalizes the decision of a man and woman to live as husband and wife, including the accompanying social festivities: to officiate at a marriage.
4. a relationship in which two people have pledged themselves to each other in the manner of a husband and wife, without legal sanction: trial marriage; homosexual marriage.
5. any close or intimate association or union: the marriage of words and music in a hit song.
6. a formal agreement between two companies or enterprises to combine operations, resources, etc., for mutual benefit; merger.
7. a blending or matching of different elements or components: The new lipstick is a beautiful marriage of fragrance and texture.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:34 PM

In many religions a marriage does have a lot to do with religion. And if anybody doesn't like that then they dont have to be part of that religion.
Simple,
I do not care if 2, 3, 4 or any number of people want to say they are married and get married to each other or to a piece of furniture. Just leave me and my religion out of it.
Create your own religion if you want to, you have that right.
You have no right to come into my religion and try to fraudulently take it over because you think we are wrong.
The government also has no business marrying people. Marriage licenses are nothing more than the government trying to control us and control marriage.
If people want to hold hands and say some words and then consider themselves married, then that is their choice. I dont care. Invite me to your wedding if you want to. I'll respect your choice to get married in that manner but it doesn't mean I think it is legitimate or not and it doesn't matter if I think it is. Just keep my religion and the govt out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality