Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times

Advertisements

Yup, "Brokeback Mountain"---------------the movie that every ULTRA LIBERAL on chat sites proclaimed would win every Oscar imaginable.

It sure flopped on awards night !

Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,108,855 times
It should have been named "humpback canyon". I for some reason have a problem with the word "homophobic" It implies that people who don't like gays or the entire Idea of homosexuality are somehow afraid of the gays or the lifestyle. Phobia means fear. Many folks are anti gay for many other reasons other than fear. The word gay is also a bit misleading, my father was gay and so are several of my old friends and associates and they are/were not for the most part very happy. The word gay used to mean happy. Several of my friends who were gay have already died from aids and even though I never approved of their lifestyles they were still nice people for the most part and I still miss them.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 AM

37 posts, read 166,752 times
I thought it was a sad movie. It made me cry.
Love is love. I don't think it was about gay sex.
It was about how a brokenheart can hurt anyone.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:52 AM

540 posts, read 1,914,075 times
That movie was a great comedy! It should of won an Oscar for that. What I dislike mostly about it is that the movie was shot in Canada and not Wyoming and now people in other states oblivious to the state of Wyoming are going to get a stereotype of the people who are there which is so far from the truth! Don't judge Wyoming based on this movie.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,339,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Don't judge Wyoming based on this movie.
You're right, Wyoming isn't nearly as scenic as southern Alberta

(Yellowstone excepted)

Old 10-03-2008, 12:12 AM

357 posts, read 1,618,081 times
Default Charlie Russell had Hollywood pretty well summed up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
I was wondering if Brokeback Mountain caused any increase in tourism to Wyoming? I can't remember a movie showing the beauty of Wyoming (even though much of it was filmed in Canada) in such a way.

Also, did people go to see this movie because it depicted Wyoming? Just curious...
CMR said after hanging around with his buddy Will Rogers in California: "They say pictures don't lie, but Hollywood *****ed that talk..." (this was back in the early 1920's). Even back then, Hollywood was making an art of deceiving the viewer.

Almost no western you see is or was filmed where they claim it was set. Many modern westerns are filmed in Alberta, and not just for reasons of the scenery. The labor costs on films shot in Canada are lower than those shot in the US (by up to 25%, from what I've read). Many of the old westerns were filmed in southern California, and the Vasquez Rocks state park near Santa Clarita especially.

I get a heck of laugh out of films or TV series that are supposed to be taking place in Nevada. One look at the vegetation and I can tell that they're shot nowhere near Nevada. Same deal with Wyoming. Hollywood would have you believe the entire state looks like the area around Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. Ain't even remotely so.

And besides, most film directors and actors would go ape if they had to actually film on location in the rural west. Where would they get their double-shot, low-foam, fair-trade, non-fat, organic-soy-milk latte?

Old 10-03-2008, 12:59 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,593,659 times
Shoot, Brokeback Mountain starred Heather Ledger (Australian) and Jake Gyllenhaal (Jewish), directed by Ang Lee (Chinese) and filmed in Canada, is surely an accurate description. Parts of "Flicka" with Tim McGraw was shot in Sheridan, WY might be a better depiction of life in Wyoming.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:34 AM

154 posts, read 663,538 times
So, there is no mountain called Brokeback in Wyoming?? They filmed the movie in the Canadian Fort Macleod as far as I know.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:00 AM

357 posts, read 1,618,081 times
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_74 View Post
So, there is no mountain called Brokeback in Wyoming?? They filmed the movie in the Canadian Fort Macleod as far as I know.
Nope. No such mountain.

And men who work with sheep on open range aren't called "cowboys" either.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:29 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,235,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
I don't know whether people went to the movie because it depicted Wyoming, but I do know a lot of men who said that they would not go to the movie due to it being about gay cowboys. Although we'd not like to think that people are homophobic here, that tells us that there are those who are. I know many women who went to the movie but their husbands/sig. others, etc. would not go with them. So if that is any indication, I'd venture to say that more men are anti-gay than women.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me what people do in their private life. I thought it was a good movie myself.
Your statements are true to an extent however, the homophobia that you described among men seems particularly common in rural, conservative states like Wyoming.

I am gay. I grew up in Cheyenne for 9 years. After I graduated from high school, I moved to Denver to attend college. There is a night and day difference between the attitudes here and in Wyoming, particularly among straight men. Although I was not openly gay when I lived in Wyoming, I heard tons of anti-gay slurs, and many of the men I knew seemed very uncomfortable even being associated with a gay person (maybe they were afraid that the gayness would wear off, LOL).

People in Denver are much more open and accepting. I am friends with many straight men. I've taken several of them to the gay bars with me. Beleive it or not, quite a few bartenders at the gay bars that I frequent are straight. It's just not really a big issue here like it is in Wyoming.

I'm with the posters who feel that Brokeback Mountain did not provide a large tourism boost for Wyoming. The movie was after all, filmed in Alberta, Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality