Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 10:58 AM

155 posts, read 27,581 times

Advertisements

Do you think that this type of religious trauma is directly correlated to the wealth that a person has? Or perhaps being a part of a favored social group in society?

I got that impression from watching this discussion.

https://youtu.be/dHURtj7EymI?si=tlp4h5B51rnApuyH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 02:53 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
Do you think that this type of religious trauma is directly correlated to the wealth that a person has? Or perhaps being a part of a favored social group in society?

I got that impression from watching this discussion.

https://youtu.be/dHURtj7EymI?si=tlp4h5B51rnApuyH
I’ve started watching the video, and will watch the whole thing later.
But Religious Trauma Syndrome is quite well known now:

https://www.alternet.org/religious-t...edium=referral

Once somebody challenges and no longer accepts their former belief system, it can be quite traumatic.
Many lose their family and friends and support structure over it too.
Religious addiction is related to all of this, although other factors may also be involved.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:32 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
In my case it's more than an addiction, it's a raging storm of obsession. It takes me a week to read the bible cover to cover if I skip the logistics.

When you read the bible every week for a couple years you begin studying in your sleep.

After 2 decades of obsessively reading the bible, most of my dreams is sitting at a desk studying as if my brain knows the bible better in my sleep.

It's weird, but I have learned a great deal while sleeping, wake up and say," That's what it meant."

But yea, trauma from religion.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:28 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
In my case it's more than an addiction, it's a raging storm of obsession. It takes me a week to read the bible cover to cover if I skip the logistics.

When you read the bible every week for a couple years you begin studying in your sleep.

After 2 decades of obsessively reading the bible, most of my dreams is sitting at a desk studying as if my brain knows the bible better in my sleep.

It's weird, but I have learned a great deal while sleeping, wake up and say," That's what it meant."

Interesting. I do understand what you say. Some believe that, during the sleep stage, mind can connect with Akasha and learn. Might be just that.
I learned not to force my thinking. Simply drop a concept into it and let it run somewhere in the background. Then, some time - pop, insight!
Subconscious never stops its work, just need to set it on the right tracks.

be well

Old 03-14-2024, 07:29 PM

To OP.
there is pretty much one and only root cause to all fears.
Fear of death.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
To OP.
there is pretty much one and only root cause to all fears.
Fear of death.
I never feared death, all my life since I was like 6, what I fear is having my skirt pulled over my head and everyone sees my nakedness.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:46 PM

155 posts, read 27,581 times
Quote:

I think the trauma actually comes from our own heart. So it is wrong to put all the blame on religious upbringing or whatever other external source. Some people raised in the same environment do not have the same trauma.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I never feared death, all my life since I was like 6, what I fear is having my skirt pulled over my head and everyone sees my nakedness.
Ha ha, I had many dreams of that nature.
I stay with what I said.
Fear of death is the primary instinct in any living being.
Pretty much, there are two basic instincts.
Fear of death and sexual instinct. The Thanatos and the Eros. All human behaviour is caused by one or the other, in forms perverting those two basics. For example, greed or craving for power are perverted Eros.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 03-14-2024 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-14-2024, 09:29 PM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
survival is an instinct, but i don't see that fear of death is an instinct.
they aren't the same.

my whole life i have recognized and known that death is not the end. so there has not been the fear of death.
it's like walking into a different room.
yes, we do whatever we can to survive. but that is because we are hard-wired to stay alive.
but i don't see fear of death as a given or as universal, and i don't see it as an instinct.
the prospect of death may not be fun or pleasant or desired. but i don't see it as something that is fearful.

i can't be afraid of something that i've done a whole bunch of times already before. dozens of times. hundreds of times. thousands of times. and i can't be afraid of something knowing that i'll be OK no matter what happens.

over the course of my life there have been things that have been scary for me, terrifying even.
but death and dying have never been among them.

as the saying goes, F E A R = False Evidence Appearing Real

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-14-2024 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-14-2024, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
I think the trauma actually comes from our own heart. So it is wrong to put all the blame on religious upbringing or whatever other external source. Some people raised in the same environment do not have the same trauma.
You bring a child up teaching him hell fire and that everything you have ever done will be revealed, you are traumatizing a child. Christians talking about tribulation and how Satanic people are coming to kill them, that's traumatic.

We were taught that we would soon be tortured if we didnt deny Jesus.

Some kids really believe what you teach them, I never made plans because I expected the end of the world every year, what did I need plans for?

By the time I was 7 or 8, I had already excepted hell and figured there was no way out if it, I may as well kill myself because I walked around in fear knowing it was coming.

Kids should not be traumatized like that, and once they are brainwashed at such an earlie age, there ain't no fixing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality