Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 08:20 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times

Advertisements

I hate to be repetitive but, there's still confusion between "fear of death" and the ROOT fear of death, expressed in the survival instinct.
Root cause is like whatever is that is millions layers deeper, than the deepest hypothetical root layer of the quantum realm. Just as example. It is unknown and not even theorized about.
"I do not fear death" is mental, mind thing. It takes some time to think about, develop the idea, convolute it into definitions, come to conclusion. Headed thing, as OSHO said.
I'll say something rather odd, but it just popped in my memory and I tend to follow such insights.
Once in my early years, I had to escape a hooligan, plenty we had back in the 'ol country.
I ran on water. Dead serious. I ran away from him, without any thought, I just reflexed and, the only way to escape, was to cross a small swampy pond. All I remember, I was on the bank of it, opposite to the guy, with him still standing there sort of frozen, with complete expression of surprise on his face. If you remember old keds, they had about 3/4 inch rubber overlap onto the fabric. Mine were only about half of that wet. I came back to that pond later and tested the depth. About foot length away from the dry ground, my foot would go into the wate completely. And, I crossed it dry shoes, basically.
But I had no recollection of how I did it, without sinking deep into the water.
That is what I am referring to, as the root cause. Uncontrolled, illogical, non mental, instinctive fear of death, manifesting itself in the survival instinct. I know for sure, it takes trained martial artists and warriors many many years, to learn, how to tame that instinct.
Hope, this helps.

PS. MQ, actually, said same. "I don't fear flying" = mental thing. "I am likely to run if train is going to hit me" = root fear of death. Phobia vs instinct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 08:42 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
survival does not stem from fear.

any more than breathing, sleeping, walking, or eating stem from fear.
instincts are hard wired. they are not a byproduct of emotion. and they do not have an emotional component to them.

awareness of hunger, and eating to resolve it, is not caused by fear.
awareness of fatigue, and sleeping to remedy it, does not stem from fear.
awareness of danger, and removing myself from it, does not stem from fear.
breathing is not out of fear.

fear can be dissolved. breathing, sleeping, eating can not be dissolved.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-16-2024 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-16-2024, 09:04 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
survival does not stem from fear.

any more than breathing, sleeping, walking, or eating stem from fear.
instincts are hard wired. they are not a byproduct of emotion.

awareness of hunger, and eating to resolve it, is not caused by fear.
awareness of fatigue, and sleeping to remedy it, does not stem from fear.
awareness of danger, and removing myself from it, does not stem from fear.
breathing is not out of fear.

Yeah, well that is some real "Garden of Eden" stuff right there.

Out here in the real world we are very much driven by fear. Ever heard of "Lions, and Tigers and Bears?"

or "traffic, and car wrecks and insurance premiums?"

Old 03-16-2024, 09:15 AM

here is a resource

Survival is a biochemical reaction: eating, sleeping, breathing, remove ourselves from danger.
yes, that is instinct. not optional. hard-wired for it.

Biochemical Reaction
"Fear is a natural emotion and a survival mechanism. When we confront a perceived threat, our bodies respond in specific ways. " [just like when we are tired we sleep, when we are hungry we eat, and all the time we breathe. try holding your breath for a long time, can't do it.] "This physical response is also known as the “fight or flight†response, with which your body prepares itself to either enter combat or run away. This biochemical reaction is an automatic response that is crucial to our survival." yes, that is the survival instinct.

Emotional Response
"The emotional response to fear, on the other hand, is highly personalized. " However the emotional element is NOT instinct and it is not survival. it is individual and it is personalized. and as such, it can be adjusted, dissolved, re-programmed, changed.

from here The Psychology of Fear

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-16-2024 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-16-2024, 09:20 AM

156 posts, read 27,581 times
My original idea was that fear is driving a lot of what religious people believe is faith. I don't think that is true faith.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
My original idea was that fear is driving a lot of what religious people believe is faith. I don't think that is true faith.
so then do you also believe that "fear is driving a lot of what atheists believe is faith. that is not true atheism."
or do you find that convoluted and contrived.

Old 03-16-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
so then tell us, in your view what is "true faith" ?

Old 03-16-2024, 11:09 AM

1,478 posts, read 478,086 times
Many years ago, I was on a float trip through thick forest. We were traveling through a section of the river where the water was deep and a slow current carried us along. It was quiet and peaceful. There was a girl in the front of the canoe and I was in the back, and as we were floating along in the current, not far from shore there was a mid-size tree that had fallen over and the top of the root ball was sticking up out of the water.

When we were getting close to it, I noticed a cottonmouth all wrapped around the root ball. The root ball and snake were only an arm's length away when floating past it. When I saw it I didn't make a sound, because if I had alerted the girl, she most likely would have screamed and gave a reaction that would possibly tipped over the canoe. She floated past and didn't notice it. And then I quietly floated past it. I never told her about that incident. I figured she might have expected a different situational action.

The spider casts it's web using the struggle against its prey to expel all its energy in a self-consuming manner, as it then seeks its lifeblood. Where the struggle of a butterfly to exit the cocoon gives strength to its wings and development. So, if you remove an insect from its struggles in the spider's web it is set free and if you remove a butterfly from its cocoon, it dies as it is not fully developed.

The beauty of the butterfly is that at the end of those struggles it fly's away floating on the wind.

There is positive struggle and there is negative struggle.

Old 03-16-2024, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I hate to be repetitive but, there's still confusion between "fear of death" and the ROOT fear of death, expressed in the survival instinct.
Root cause is like whatever is that is millions layers deeper, than the deepest hypothetical root layer of the quantum realm. Just as example. It is unknown and not even theorized about.
"I do not fear death" is mental, mind thing. It takes some time to think about, develop the idea, convolute it into definitions, come to conclusion. Headed thing, as OSHO said.
I'll say something rather odd, but it just popped in my memory and I tend to follow such insights.

Once in my early years, I had to escape a hooligan, plenty we had back in the 'ol country.
I ran on water. Dead serious. I ran away from him, without any thought, I just reflexed and, the only way to escape, was to cross a small swampy pond. All I remember, I was on the bank of it, opposite to the guy, with him still standing there sort of frozen, with complete expression of surprise on his face. If you remember old keds, they had about 3/4 inch rubber overlap onto the fabric. Mine were only about half of that wet. I came back to that pond later and tested the depth. About foot length away from the dry ground, my foot would go into the wate completely. And, I crossed it dry shoes, basically.
But I had no recollection of how I did it, without sinking deep into the water.

That is what I am referring to, as the root cause. Uncontrolled, illogical, non mental, instinctive fear of death, manifesting itself in the survival instinct. I know for sure, it takes trained martial artists and warriors many many years, to learn, how to tame that instinct.
Hope, this helps.

PS. MQ, actually, said same. "I don't fear flying" = mental thing. "I am likely to run if train is going to hit me" = root fear of death. Phobia vs instinct.
i love reading this! the incident above.
this is wonderful

Old 03-16-2024, 06:07 PM

156 posts, read 27,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
so then do you also believe that "fear is driving a lot of what atheists believe is faith. that is not true atheism."
or do you find that convoluted and contrived.
Atheists are using their own fear to drive their beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality