Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 07:27 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
The Atheist says there is no God. So, for them that would make Death their all-encompassing and greatest authority over them. Declaring Death as greater than life, and namely the life God shares.
You are describing hard atheism -- a minority view among atheists -- and then drawing a wrong conclusion from it.

I have never heard of an atheist "declaring death greater than life". Indeed, most Christians would not declare the opposite (life > death) because they consider the afterlife superior to this life. Paul himself said death would be "gain" to him, but he continues to live for the sake of his ministry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 04:10 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
The Atheist says there is no God. So, for them that would make Death their all-encompassing and greatest authority over them. Declaring Death as greater than life, and namely the life God shares.

You recognize the existence of Death and claim there is no passage past the personification of this entity called Death as if it rules overall. Teaching others to follow you down your dead-end road, to home with Death while claiming to be most wise.

I see so many posts on this forum using people and props to accuse God to no end. While I am most thankful to know in my heart that God is not my accuser.

When people write all those posts accusing God to the point of non-existence, they do the very thing they claim to despise. Preaching Hell.

You can write your question as if you are strong and fearless, while it is all the unrighteous judgements you have proclaimed that will become your greatest fear.

Personally, I don't seek judgement, I seek reconciliation with God from the lowest point.
Declaring death as "all-encompassing and greatest authority over them" is an attitude that is dependent on culture and the ability to apply the principles taught by the culture. Death is inevitable, and, in a sense, a more powerful event than life because it is eventual. It is an experience we must go through whether we want it or not.

Because an atheist doesn't believe in God, then life after death is not part of the sequence. If it were part of the sequence of existence, then it is more powerful than death whether or not the atheist wants it to happen. It is not dependent on attitude.

Attitude, on the other hand, has possibilities. It can be shaped by our culture. We may be able to apply principles more effectivity than our predecessors, or we can carry on traditional attitudes. An atheist doesn't have to be consumed by the eventual death. They can be consumed with their current life which has more possibilities on how to live life.

Of course, an atheist can think a little too much about death in comparison to a believer because there is nothing after it, but if the thought consumes them, then to a believer, it might look like believing in a god is a simple remedy, to believe that the sequence of recognizable life doesn't end. Unfortunately, I have met believers who are still very anxious about death. The belief in God does not put them at ease for the event that will surely come.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:25 AM

992 posts, read 782,612 times
86:1.4 (950.6) Early man lived in uncertainty and in constant fear of chance—bad luck. Life was an exciting game of chance; existence was a gamble. It is no wonder that partially civilized people still believe in chance and evince lingering predispositions to gambling. Primitive man alternated between two potent interests: the passion of getting something for nothing and the fear of getting nothing for something. And this gamble of existence was the main interest and the supreme fascination of the early savage mind.

86:6.3 (955.8) Into this major premise of illusion and ignorance, mortal fear has packed all of the subsequent superstition and religion of primitive peoples. This was man’s only religion up to the times of revelation, and today many of the world’s races have only this crude religion of evolution.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...ution-religion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality