Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 09:57 PM

412 posts, read 139,577 times

Advertisements

I strongly believe in the principle that "charity begins at home." It is essential to prioritize helping those closest to us, such as our family, neighbors, and friends, before extending our aid to those further away. By starting with the people in our immediate community, we can build a solid foundation of support and create a more significant impact.

In contrast, there's a radio preacher who takes great pride in bragging about providing aid to Africa, despite living in a city with a poverty rate north of 24%. However, I believe that if the preacher focused on helping those in his city first, he could make a more immediate and visible difference in the lives of the people around him. It would also enable him to form meaningful connections with those he assists, fostering a sense of community and understanding.

By concentrating efforts on his local community, the radio preacher can address the pressing needs of those struggling in his own backyard. Once a strong impact has been made at home, he can then consider extending his assistance to other regions, like Africa, with a better understanding of how to help those in need effectively. Starting close to home ensures that his efforts directly benefit the people he interacts with daily, ultimately making a more meaningful and lasting impact on the lives of those he aims to support.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:46 AM

7,617 posts, read 4,192,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
post above makes an excellent point. regarding bold above, yes bingo. i agree.

although there is for me also (in the religion i follow) a formula that instructs how much to give also, which is a % of my income. This is not optional, it is required. It is an obligation and responsibility.

Commenting only on first part of post above, leaving second part for others to discuss.
Thanks, Tzaphkiel. Though I admit that based on my own definition, I am not a very charitable person. Not even at home when I give an allowance to my daughter who is instructed to use it however she wants. There is an expectation she will not use it on drugs or for other things that can have a negative effect on her, but that is not explicitly stated. Not yet, anyway. Instead, my willingness to give is highly dependent on our past interactions where both parties feel understood.

The rest of this post is not specifically directed toward you, Tzaphkiel. But education was mentioned as a charitable act. I would say that it depends. If people are in an environment where education is valued, then, yes, it is a charitable act because then they will become productive citizens for having a well-rounded education. However, if the learner only wants the information that will lead to a life they think is worth living, then they may not appreciate anything outside of that information.

"Charity begins at home" is another great point of discussion. I would say this only works if the person giving wants nothing in return, but usually that is not the case. When people give, there is an expectation of at least being treated with respect which is often not well-defined. Perhaps meaningful relationships are desired but the giver's personality may hinder it leaving them unsatisfied. Or they have an image of how society should look once they have provided something.

My instructions to my own child are to always give back if something is given to her and keep an open mind about what it means to give back because money is not the only way. Nor should one's body or some other private property or even personal time have to be given back. Clear and polite communication at that moment can be the gift that gives back.

Old 07-17-2023, 05:13 AM

492 posts, read 148,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I strongly believe in the principle that "charity begins at home." It is essential to prioritize helping those closest to us, such as our family, neighbors, and friends, before extending our aid to those further away. By starting with the people in our immediate community, we can build a solid foundation of support and create a more significant impact.

In contrast, there's a radio preacher who takes great pride in bragging about providing aid to Africa, despite living in a city with a poverty rate north of 24%. However, I believe that if the preacher focused on helping those in his city first, he could make a more immediate and visible difference in the lives of the people around him. It would also enable him to form meaningful connections with those he assists, fostering a sense of community and understanding.

By concentrating efforts on his local community, the radio preacher can address the pressing needs of those struggling in his own backyard. Once a strong impact has been made at home, he can then consider extending his assistance to other regions, like Africa, with a better understanding of how to help those in need effectively. Starting close to home ensures that his efforts directly benefit the people he interacts with daily, ultimately making a more meaningful and lasting impact on the lives of those he aims to support.

A great deal of the charities are just scams. The so called Christian Church that exist is America is rife with scams and theft.

So I would say, it sounds a lot better to say Africa. I mean if he gave the money to his home base, folks could see the improvements.

So, he would have to spend the money. If he says, Africa, then how would anyone know if they get the money?

The money is going to him and his pocket.

It is much easier for the preacher man to say Africa, give,give,give to those in Africa.

I agree with you though, whole heartedly, folks here in America need help.

Its why I always give directly to folks, never to any organization.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:58 AM

19,137 posts, read 27,774,643 times
Truly, we are not talking money in this thread.
We are talking the spiritual side of giving.
Money is one of those things, made believe that they mean something.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:01 AM

although there is for me also (in the religion i follow) a formula that instructs how much to give also, which is a % of my income. This is not optional, it is required. It is an obligation and responsibility.

Commenting only on first part of post above, leaving second part for others to discuss.

Ah, the almighty CALCULATION. The very moment, something is calculated, it is of the mind, of the intellect. It's the "headed" thing, not the spiritual thing.
Though I do understand that, some time back in history, someone calculated that yey much must be given. Without explanation, where the number came from, why it is not less, or more.
Well, a tax is a tax, no matter, how convoluted.
With all due respects.

Old 07-17-2023, 11:04 AM

5,526 posts, read 7,371,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What do you mean by " the spiritual side of giving"?

Old 07-17-2023, 06:54 PM

22,678 posts, read 19,370,594 times
Quote:

Ah, the almighty CALCULATION. The very moment, something is calculated, it is of the mind, of the intellect. It's the "headed" thing, not the spiritual thing.
Though I do understand that, some time back in history, someone calculated that yey much must be given. Without explanation, where the number came from, why it is not less, or more.
Well, a tax is a tax, no matter, how convoluted.
With all due respects.

but explanation is given, and makes perfect sense to those who tithe.
to those who do not tithe, well they do not understand or implement. And yes it does vary, it is a range so sometimes less sometimes more. To say it is not, is to lack understanding in this area.

tithing of money yes actual money, is very much "a spiritual thing" to use phrase from post above. It is a physical act done for "spiritual reasons"
a person has free choice in this, whether or not to tithe, just like they do in every other place in life.
i can understand if someone does not tithe and it does not upset me.
however it baffles me when there are people who do NOT tithe, but take issue and get upset that the practice of tithing exists and is alive and well and put into practice.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-17-2023 at 07:26 PM..

Old 07-17-2023, 07:28 PM

22,678 posts, read 19,370,594 times
Quote:
everything physical has a spiritual side.
all of physical reality is an outpicturing of spirit.

there is nothing in physical reality that does NOT have a physical side. including money. including giving charity. including tithing.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:53 PM

5,918 posts, read 3,817,431 times
Quote:
And, here's an example.
" I feel very sorry for someone".
To feel sorry for someone, you must feel higher of yourself, mmm? It can't be any other way, as, otherwise, you do not feel sorry for....
And this is the sin of pride.
Sure, sure....the "sin" of pride. Since I don't believe the bible is the word of anything other than madmen, I don't accept what you said. I do feel sympathy for this poor person, that's the truth. You can either accept that or not.

Actually, I said "somebody", if we're going to pick apart a post that was extremely vague, then this should also be picked apart as well. What exactly do you think I meant? This is awfully presumptuous.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Sure, sure....the "sin" of pride. Since I don't believe the bible is the word of anything other than madmen, I don't accept what you said. I do feel sympathy for this poor person, that's the truth. You can either accept that or not.

Actually, I said "somebody", if we're going to pick apart a post that was extremely vague, then this should also be picked apart as well. What exactly do you think I meant? This is awfully presumptuous.
Maybe, give #36 a good thought?

Namaste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality