Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 10:43 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
post above makes an excellent point. regarding bold above, yes bingo. i agree.

although there is for me also (in the religion i follow) a formula that instructs how much to give also, which is a % of my income. This is not optional, it is required. It is an obligation and responsibility.

Commenting only on first part of post above, leaving second part for others to discuss.
Since you have twice in one thread mentioned 'the religion you follow', I feel free to ask: what religion is that? Of course, you are free to not answer.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:57 AM

412 posts, read 137,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since you have twice in one thread mentioned 'the religion you follow', I feel free to ask: what religion is that? Of course, you are free to not answer.
The poster has frequently stated that they adhere to Judaism, though they may not have stated which of the four branches, or it is my oversight. Judaism is an ancient monotheistic religion divided into four branches: Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist. Each branch has different interpretations and practices. Some, like me, may need to understand which one the poster identifies with to dialogue with them specifically regarding personal beliefs.

Old 07-16-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
The poster has frequently stated that they adhere to Judaism, though they may not have stated which of the four branches, or it is my oversight. Judaism is an ancient monotheistic religion divided into four branches: Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist. Each branch has different interpretations and practices. Some, like me, may need to understand which one the poster identifies with to dialogue with them specifically regarding personal beliefs.
I see.

Old 07-16-2023, 11:06 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I disagree with some of this.

It's much easier to help someone if that person isn't hungry. Feed them first, then offer help with other things. Basic needs must be met. The majority of people seeking charity are not doing so because they want to. They have hit stumbling blocks in their lives and need some temporary assistance.

I don't know what to do with the people that are unwilling to accept the conditions that come with the help being offered. For example, the homeless shelters near where I live do not allow residents to use alcohol or drugs while they are in the facility. I don't know how to help those who won't conform the the rules of the charity, but they still need basic things like food and shelter.
good points, well said.
thank you for this

Old 07-16-2023, 11:49 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
if the thread topic and OP is exhorting urging and extolling others to extend and engage in loving kindness, then subsequently using the phrase "my old lady" is itself a derogatory phrase that is loaded with disrespect and disregard. Use of that phrase in a public forum for all to read and see is offensive and does NOT convey respect and regard and kindness.

It is a Term of Endearment. Some people say "dear Hubby" or "Smoopsie" or some other cute pet name. We started that "Old man/Old Lady" long ago and she thinks it is still funny, although I do not use it as much around her. And no, we are not bikers. Or rednecks.
Kind of like the term "knocked up" which she used to refer to herself with the first kid....although her mom hated that so we stopped around her

NOW I realize that it is difficult to sometimes transfer the satire/humor on a message board. At least once every few months, for example, someone reads one of my posts or predictions on the pro football forum and tries to correct me that the Chargers do not live in a salvation army shelter, that Roger Goodell is not a robot, or that Mike McCarthy does not weight 410 lbs. (Even though he looks like it)
The other posters are, I hope entertained and at least a few are.
SO the "Old Lady" term stays. As a cute loving term of endearment because I don't like any of the others.

Next Question Please

Old 07-16-2023, 11:57 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

It is a Term of Endearment. Some people say "dear Hubby" or "Smoopsie" or some other cute pet name. We started that "Old man/Old Lady" long ago and she thinks it is still funny, although I do not use it as much around her. And no, we are not bikers. Or rednecks.
Kind of like the term "knocked up" which she used to refer to herself with the first kid....although her mom hated that so we stopped around her

NOW I realize that it is difficult to sometimes transfer the satire/humor on a message board. At least once every few months, for example, someone reads one of my posts or predictions on the pro football forum and tries to correct me that the Chargers do not live in a salvation army shelter, that Roger Goodell is not a robot, or that Mike McCarthy does not weight 410 lbs. (Even though he looks like it)
SO the "Old Lady" term stays. As a cute loving term of endearment because I don't like any of the others.

Next Question Please
If you and your "old lady" are good with it, that's good enough for me.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

Next Question Please
if it is a "cute loving term" when used between two people, then whatever pet name floats their boat.
however the difference is when someone posts it on a public forum, and to the public at large, no that is not read as a term of endearment. nor is it "humorous" and "entertaining." It is offensive and derogatory. it bears mentioning as such on this thread because the OP is pointedly extolling others to engage in kindness towards others, while themself engaging in behavior that is not that, and doubling down on the behavior when it is pointed out.

for the same reason post above mentions "stopped using a phrase which her mom hated" that shows a level of respect and regard towards the mom for that. my observation is that same level of respect and regard is not extended to readers on a public forum. which is of course a person's choice. but again it is not humorous or entertaining to preach at readers to engage in respect and kindness, while not extending respect to those very same readers by acknowledging a phrase used may be offensive and disrespectful.

that is why it is relevant to the thread topic.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-16-2023 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-16-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
if it is a "cute loving term" when used between two people, then whatever pet name floats their boat.
the difference is when someone posts it on a public forum, and to the public at large, no that is not a term of endearment. nor is it "humorous" and "entertaining." It is offensive and derogatory. it bears mentioning as such on this thread because the OP is pointedly extolling others to engage in kindness towards others, while themself engaging in behavior that is not that, and doubling down on the behavior when it is pointed out.

for the same reason post above mentions "stopped using a phrase which her mom hated" that shows a level of respect and regard towards the mom for that. my observation is that same level of respect and regard is not extended to readers on a public forum. which is of course a person's choice. but again it is not humorous or entertaining to preach at readers to engage in respect and kindness, while not extending respect to those very same readers by acknowledging a phrase used may be offensive and disrespectful.

that is relevant to the thread topic.
You're very fond of pointing out that something is that poster's opinion. Okay, you've stated your opinion.

This is a phrase I have heard spoken for as long as I've been living, and rarely did it denote anything negative. Friends of mine called their fathers "my old man". Well, let's see...to them their fathers were old(er), and theirs, and a man.

Old 07-16-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're very fond of pointing out that something is that poster's opinion. Okay, you've stated your opinion.

This is a phrase I have heard spoken for as long as I've been living, and rarely did it denote anything negative. Friends of mine called their fathers "my old man". Well, let's see...to them their fathers were old(er), and theirs, and a man.
there are times when black people use the n word to address each other.
but most people have enough awareness why this is not a good idea for non-black people to use the n word.

same in the gay community. there are times when people in the gay community use the words q----, or dy--, or f--g-- to affectionately address each other. but most people have enough awareness why this is not a good idea for non-gay people to use those words in public discussion.

and most people have enough awareness why words and phrases such as those and yes including "my old lady" are viewed as offensive and derogatory, and are not seen as "funny" or "humorous" and definitely not "affectionate" particularly when posting on a public forum that is open to all.

so for a thread topic specifically extolling others to increase and extend kindness towards humanity, and then to not only use but to double down on using language seen by much of the general public as offensive......well that's like someone starting a thread telling people to treat blacks better, and then using the n word. and when called out on it, then doubling down on why they will continue to use the n word. that is how it comes across.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-16-2023 at 02:07 PM..

Old 07-16-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
there are times when black people use the n word to address each other.
but most people have enough awareness why this is not a good idea for non-black people to use the n word.

same in the gay community. there are times when people in the gay community use the words q---, or dy--, or f--g-- to affectionately address each other. but most people have enough awareness why this is not a good idea for non-gay people to use those words in public discussion.

and most people have enough awareness why words and phrases such as those and yes including "my old lady" are viewed as offensive and derogatory, and are not seen as "funny" or "humorous" and definitely not "affectionate" particularly when posting on a public forum that is open to all.

so for a topic extolling others to increasee and extend kindness towards humanity, and then to not only use but to double down on using language seen by much of the general public as offensive......well that's like someone starting a thread telling people to treat blacks better, and then using the n word. and when called out on it, then doubling down on why they will continue to use the n word. that is how it comes across.
You find it offense. Just as I AND OTHERS find your constant lecturing down to us as offensive. We each have our cross to bear (to put it biblically).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.