Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 04:34 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling very sorry for somebody's "old man" right now, if there even is one.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:45 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
yes i agree with bold above.
however to say as opening post did that helping others must benefit your own self, is itself an act of selfishness and greed. quite simply it is the selfish mindset of not helping others unless you get something out of it.

also kindness, dignity, love, respect, regard, helping others, those are not "measurable."
so still wondering why view expressed in the opening post insists that helping others "must be measurable?"
Blind handouts may cause more harm, than good, as donator never knows. From the kindness of your heart, you give a panhandler 5 bucks, he goes gets high and kills someone. Happens. Cruel example, but how many times have we seen stories, when society put its soul into helping someone and grew a murderer?
Also, I hate to do this to you, my dear Tzaphkiel, the Leader of Erelim, but a lot of charity is pride. I strongly, very strongly encourage everyone, interested in this topic, to read up on what OSHO said about dogooders.

True charity is not giving. True charity is educating. Raring the entire country so that its citizens become self conscious and then, they simply can not do any wrong and, really do not need any charity. Of course, such a country will be destroyed by its good willing neighbors way before it achieves such goal.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:31 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Blind handouts may cause more harm, than good, as donator never knows. From the kindness of your heart, you give a panhandler 5 bucks, he goes gets high and kills someone. Happens. Cruel example, but how many times have we seen stories, when society put its soul into helping someone and grew a murderer?
Also, I hate to do this to you, my dear Tzaphkiel, the Leader of Erelim, but a lot of charity is pride. I strongly, very strongly encourage everyone, interested in this topic, to read up on what OSHO said about dogooders.

True charity is not giving. True charity is educating. Raring the entire country so that its citizens become self conscious and then, they simply can not do any wrong and, really do not need any charity. Of course, such a country will be destroyed by its good willing neighbors way before it achieves such goal.
Several times here in the States when I would give a beggar $$, they would walk right into a 7/11 and buy beer.

Old 07-16-2023, 06:25 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
My wife and I have been " giving " for decades.
In time, talent and resources.

Some friends and relatives think we're generous.

Honestly, it never seems I'm giving enough.

But I know I'm approaching the " right " amount, when it begins to hurt.

Then I know it starts to be become sacrificial.

Old 07-16-2023, 06:38 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
You go to work everyday buying stuff driving a car, you are already giving a great amount in taxes and red tape. They take your money and chairably give to somebody else.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:55 PM

This is for you, my dear Tzaphkiel:

Now, two more diseases, two more complexes, two more illusions. We discussed three in the night: mind, lust for life, and desiring. Now the fourth is sattva – it means virtue. It means an inner accumulation of being good.
This feeling of being good is also a disease – for so many reasons. One is: you cannot feel you are good, unless you feel others are bad. Mm? that’s impossible. You cannot feel you are good unless you feel others are bad, and the feeling that others are bad is a disease; the feeling of good is just a relative term. So a person who wants to feel good is bound to condemn others as bad; and the more you condemn others as bad, the more you can feel you are good. So these so-called good men go on condemning everyone.
Bertrand Russell has criticized Jesus for this reason. He says, “Everything is divine, everything looks holy, except one thing: why Jesus condemns the sinners so much – that they should be thrown into hell, and they should be condemned? Jesus cannot feel good unless he condemns.” I don’t think that Jesus ever condemned – a person like Jesus cannot condemn. The condemnation has come through the tradition; it is really St. Paul who speaks through Jesus, and he is one of the most deeply involved personalities who feels himself to be good. But whosoever it may be – whether Jesus says so, or St. Paul puts is in Jesus’ mouth – the criticism is valid.
A good man can never be good if he is condemning others as bad, but you can never feel good unless you condemn. So a good man must be unaware of his goodness; only then it is not a disease. He must not be aware at all that he is good; only then is he not aware that others are bad. No religion other than Hinduism has condemned even goodness – even goodness becomes a sin, because it is ego-strengthening. It feeds your ego – of course with very pure food. But sometimes poisons can also be pure, so purity in itself is not something to be hailed. Poisons can also be pure, and when the ego becomes strengthened by purity, by virtue, by being good, it is pure poison – it is dangerous. That’s why you can never feel at ease with any so-called good man. Around him there is always restlessness; no one can feel at ease. and unless you can feel at ease, the man is not good, not good at all.

[Source] : Oshofriends.com
[Link] : https://oshofriends.com/subject_index/43417

Old 07-16-2023, 09:00 PM

So the true charity, the pure one, is the one, that is done, as a natural inclination, without any attachment to it, without any thought of it and definitely without any thought of the others. It is like breathing. You breath and you do not even notice it. You have to concentrate on it, to notice it. If you do not, it is simply living. We never really pay attention to how we "live", mmm? Organs function, muscles act, body moves, life goes on, all this is naturally unnoticed.
So is true charity. The very moment you notice it - a worm of sattiva, virtuous pride, enters your heart. Oh, I am such a great benefactor to someone/humanity. Mmm?
So what is this thread about?

Old 07-16-2023, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I'm feeling very sorry for somebody's "old man" right now, if there even is one.
And, here's an example.
" I feel very sorry for someone".
To feel sorry for someone, you must feel higher of yourself, mmm? It can't be any other way, as, otherwise, you do not feel sorry for....
And this is the sin of pride.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:43 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
So the true charity, the pure one, is the one, that is done, as a natural inclination, without any attachment to it, without any thought of it and definitely without any thought of the others. It is like breathing. You breath and you do not even notice it. You have to concentrate on it, to notice it. If you do not, it is simply living. We never really pay attention to how we "live", mmm? Organs function, muscles act, body moves, life goes on, all this is naturally unnoticed.
So is true charity. The very moment you notice it - a worm of sattiva, virtuous pride, enters your heart. Oh, I am such a great benefactor to someone/humanity. Mmm?
So what is this thread about?
and when giving x% of income becomes automatic then it is as natural as described above.
it is simply living and yes like breathing.
no, not as a "great benefactor" but as a requirement and as an obligation, just like eating food and drinking water and sleeping and grocery shopping and paying the rent. are requirements and a simple part of daily life.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:52 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
My reasons, my feelings, my intentions, my sincerity,...

Are irrelevant!

Charity is always good.

The widow or orphan will not care why they were helped.

They will be greatful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.