Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2023, 02:26 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Sometimes people say things that get back to other mortals, and those mortals make it happen. Then those mortals become the "gods" that the wishful one didn't know was eavesdropping on their wishes. Try keeping your wants to yourself and see if they manifest. How easy is it to keep something you really, really want...to yourself? Without any other mortals (nada. zero.) knowing about it? (rhetorical) I'd say that's the true test (but of course you'll still have mortals making assumptions...). If those wants manifest, THEN figure out who or what made that happen. Or maybe just be glad that it happened?
Not sure if you're referring to my post but this person tried to contact me on Dec 21, over a month before I knew I was toast, and we just missed each other (I thought it was a spam call as it was from an unfamiliar phone #, and she was just busy) but she had been meaning to get back to me.

No there is zero chance this was someone inside my current company tipping her off, for multiple reasons. It was just her being ready to make a move at a good time for me.

I even checked with the former, pre-acquisition CEO to see if the two had been talking, and no.

Simultaneously, the former owner is putting out feelers to buy the company back, which was prompted by other events, and is unlikely to happen for various reasons.

The reality is that a bunch of stuff was going on that had nothing to do with me, and I'd be flattering my own ego to imagine it was because of me and my brilliance or desirability. Which is another problem with supposing that some fortunate event is divine largesse: it's rather inherently arrogant to assume something is happening because you're such a special person anyway, particularly to the creator of heaven & earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2023, 02:36 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times
My response was to the subject line. I skimmed most of the posts.

How do you know for sure she wasn't tipped off? I'm not saying you're wrong (really, I'm not ), but do you know every individual in the company? If so, do you know every person in their network? How about every person they're connected to that they aren't telling you (or others for that matter...) about? Rhetorical questions.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:54 PM

Quote:
My response was to the subject line. I skimmed most of the posts.

How do you know for sure she wasn't tipped off? I'm not saying you're wrong (really, I'm not ), but do you know every individual in the company? If so, do you know every person in their network? How about every person they're connected to that they aren't telling you (or others for that matter...) about? Rhetorical questions.
Anything is possible; not all things are likely.

My (also atheist) stepson says this is the biggest coincidence ever, but I said, not really, because I've cultivated relationships and helped people at all these companies out over many many years, which creates the possibility for someone to think of / know of me, whether at just the "right" moment or not. The flip side of this is that once I get fully engaged with these people I may find out that they are miserable human beings, bad managers, or both.

In any event I am a reprobate and god should not be tipping the scales on my behalf, right? And back when I wasn't an apostate, he almost never did answer a "911 call". Strange, that.

Old 02-04-2023, 03:15 PM

I can't answer some of this. Some people who don't believe may think all their wealth was their own creation, and I can't say it isn't. But what if you find out it was the being you didn't believe in that provided it to you? What will you say to that being? (rhetorical) Or what if it wasn't that being, but another you didn't believe in? Also rhetorical.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I can't answer some of this. Some people who don't believe may think all their wealth was their own creation, and I can't say it isn't. But what if you find out it was the being you didn't believe in that provided it to you? What will you say to that being? (rhetorical) Or what if it wasn't that being, but another you didn't believe in? Also rhetorical.
It isn't a question of who gets credit. My professional life is partly a function of my own efforts and skills, sure, but it's also lots of dumb luck (for example, being born white, male, anglo-saxon protestant, heterosexual -- I had no control over those things but they greased a lot of skids for me in life), plus help and kindness from others, known and unknown, intentional or not. If some god-critter wants to be one of those unknowns, I'm not complaining. If they have an oddly human need for credit or adoration or whatever, then they should claim it. I don't mind giving credit where credit is due. There's just no evidence for such an actor.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:16 PM

I had a peer in my single digit years who told me about their non-Abrahamic deity & a sign of what would happen to signal a certain time. I was all but otherwise had no context for it. Nobody in my family knew this person's family (at least not to my knowledge) & we were not close. It was just "trivial" info that I didn't recall until a much later time (not gonna give specifics cuz that would be TMI for the noseys ). Something about this peer came into my consciousness that I have no way of verifying because I have no idea where this person is, or if they are still alive (hopefully they are). But whaddaya know? This person's name is part of a saying of an Abrahamic religion.

Maybe that doesn't mean what I think it does, but that's way more than a coincidence to me.

Old 02-08-2023, 03:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Has this ever happened to you?
According to my former minister, Reverend Kathianne Lewis, of Seattle's Center for Spiritual Living, you are experiencing the flow of the living God in which we all live and have our being. It is the Church of Religious Science, and vows that you create reality through faith and affirmations.

https://www.spiritualliving.org/what-we-believe/

Old 02-09-2023, 04:28 AM

676 posts, read 203,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
The placebo effect is a real phenomena that has to be taken into account in drug development.

Please read this link for a full explanation:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/menta...placebo-effect

Here's a small excerpt:

Placebos work up to a point. They are not going to cure your cancer, but they might help you to manage pain for example.

State of mind is an important factor in how you live your life.
There are no miracles here though. You have to make things happen yourself through your own actions. Live a good life, be kind, look after yourself and your family. Be happy. These are the things that are going to have a real influence on outcomes.
You said -> Placebos work up to a point. They are not going to cure your cancer...

This is where your wrong. A placebo could indeed cure cancer, it has already has with many patients.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...e-in-the-mind/

From article -> In recent decades reports have confirmed the efficacy of various sham treatments in nearly all areas of medicine. Placebos have helped alleviate pain, depression, anxiety, Parkinson’s disease, inflammatory disorders and even cancer.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:09 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
The placebo effect is a real phenomena that has to be taken into account in drug development.

Please read this link for a full explanation:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/menta...placebo-effect

Here's a small excerpt:

Placebos work up to a point. They are not going to cure your cancer, but they might help you to manage pain for example.

State of mind is an important factor in how you live your life.
There are no miracles here though. You have to make things happen yourself through your own actions. Live a good life, be kind, look after yourself and your family. Be happy. These are the things that are going to have a real influence on outcomes.
The bold is the most cogent aspect of your post, IMO, Cruithne. It is the typically misunderstood "true focus" of the myriad religions and philosophies throughout the ages. True to human perversity the focus has been on what we DO instead of WHY we do it. The latter is the essential factor, IMO, whether atheist or theist.

That is why the "obedience to God's commands" meme in religions is counterproductive to the actual purpose of the so-called "commands." Obedience to attain reward or avoid punishment does NOT reflect the actual status of our Spirit (consciousness for you atheists, also known as our state of mind ). What we have BECOME spiritually is what ultimately matters, IMO.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:26 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,161,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Has this ever happened to you? I have to admit it has happened a time or two when I mentioned something and then it came to pass. I did that today and I probably jinxed whatever it was I was babbling about.

My question is.....what do you call this particular phenomena? Is it divine or is it just dumb happenstance? I mean, according to how I was raised you spoke with certainty about it to god and then he/she/it/they would immediately answer. Really? I think I might be able to recall the scripture that speaks about it......
Yep, this happened to me recently. I ask for something and I got what I wanted. I call that an answer to prayer because I was asking God for it.

My belief is that God knows us, hears our thoughts, and watches over each of us. He must have several bazillion eyes! When we pray, He sends His angels to do His bidding. They will use their best influence to make our prayers become a reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality