Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 09:16 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I'll have what she's having!
AH! You beat me too it! Exactly!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 10:43 AM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I cannot imagine alcohol being as necessary as pants. However I do like an excellent Gewürztraminer. It makes me feel shiny and beautiful. It is the complex taste and not the fuzzy feeling that i am attached to.
Addiction is when anything will do as long as it gives fuzziness. It is not about the taste. It all about drink till you pass out. That is addiction.
Why addiction is a mystery. Same as why any disease.

Alcohol addiction is not a mystery to me. It's an anesthetic that induces insensitivity to pain and suffering, the kind of misery that drove Siddharta to look for the deathless state. Science, naturally, explains alcoholism away in the way it does obesity: genetic predisposition.

Alcoholism not a disease. Human life, as we are living it, is the disease. A friend of mine texted me a picture of her six weeks old baby boy. His cute face and bright eyes broke my heart. He's a new arrival to our diseased world. And his chances of making it without anesthetic of some kind are slim to none.

I don't consider wine as alcohol. It enhances the enjoyment of food much like salt and pepper. Alcoholics don't eat and have no interest in food.

Last edited by myuen2; 01-28-2023 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-28-2023, 10:52 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Reads a little to righteous to me, or maybe just doesn't seem to leave much room for being human. People don't necessarily need to "walk on water" in order to be very good people, good spouses and good parents.

Item "D" is a little perplexing to me too. Beware the fashion and morals police!

About drinking too, I prefer to advocate for moderation, balance. I have a very good friend who darn near ruined his life as a result of becoming an alcoholic. Ruined his marriage and almost killed himself a few too many times before he finally got sober. Now into his sixth year of sobriety, I'm glad to witness that he's back to the fine person he truly is. After finally getting sober, he worked for a good while at a rehab center to help others achieve sobriety like he was able. He's now back to being a good contributor to society and no doubt society needs more people like him.

We go back as friends all the way to high school where drinking was commonplace, even when we were underaged, and we both did our fair share. Over time, as we became older adults, he became a serious alcoholic, and I stayed his friend all through that nightmare, but although I have always been a drinker (mostly wine and beer), I've never had the sorts of issues or problems alcoholics develop. It's a disease after all, and like other diseases, it affects some people in deadly ways while leaving other people essentially problem free. I would never argue that alcohol doesn't have it's negative health effects, but not everything I do is always as healthy as could be.

Again, these are personal matters and/or choices about how people want to live their life, and as long as people do what they do in a "live and let live fashion," also responsibly, then that's all plenty okay far as I'm concerned. I still drink. My friend doesn't have a drop of alcohol anymore. We're both good far as I'm concerned, even though our life journey and experience with alcohol has been very different. "People are different" as my daughter is locally famous for noting at a very young age...
It would say it reads a little impossible.

Old 01-28-2023, 04:18 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Alcohol addiction is not a mystery to me. It's an anesthetic that induces insensitivity to pain and suffering, the kind of misery that drove Siddharta to look for the deathless state. Science, naturally, explains alcoholism away in the way it does obesity: genetic predisposition.

Alcoholism not a disease. Human life, as we are living it, is the disease. A friend of mine texted me a picture of her six weeks old baby boy. His cute face and bright eyes broke my heart. He's a new arrival to our diseased world. And his chances of making it without anesthetic of some kind are slim to none.

I don't consider wine as alcohol. It enhances the enjoyment of food much like salt and pepper. Alcoholics don't eat and have no interest in food.
True alcoholism, not just over drinking, is a very complex issue to deal with. Treating is is just like treating any addiction, so it is dealt with as a disease.

Wine has alcohol in it. The alcohol is what made wine safe to drink before sanitation processes were developed. The alcohol killed off the little critters in the water.

Old 01-28-2023, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
True alcoholism, not just over drinking, is a very complex issue to deal with. Treating is is just like treating any addiction, so it is dealt with as a disease.

Wine has alcohol in it. The alcohol is what made wine safe to drink before sanitation processes were developed. The alcohol killed off the little critters in the water.

Really? That is an interesting piece of information. Alcohol abuse is no laughing matter, but is it sinful to drink?

We Catholics celebrate the holy Eucharist, the God to God worship, with bread and wine.

And the finest champagne, Dom Pérignon, bears the name of its maker, a Benedictine monk.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:03 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Really? That is an interesting piece of information. Alcohol abuse is no laughing matter, but is it sinful to drink?

We Catholics celebrate the holy Eucharist, the God to God worship, with bread and wine.

And the finest champagne, Dom Pérignon, bears the name of its maker, a Benedictine monk.
Yes, wine is alcohol. One can abuse wine and get addicted to it as well. Red wine can cause acid reflux which can lead to severe complications.
Many religions offer wine and spirits in worship. Why not? We offer to Divinity the best of what the world gives us - fragrant flowers such as roses and jasmine, ripe fruits, leaves and plants, grains cooked with love and reverence, fragrant with spices and ghee. In Hinduism animal sacrifices were replaced by smashing a coconut and offering the pieces as blessing. In some sects animal sacrifices and alcohol are still offered and the meat is fed to all.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:14 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:

It depends on your religion.

Episcopalians have wine and beer at their church potlucks.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes, wine is alcohol. One can abuse wine and get addicted to it as well. Red wine can cause acid reflux which can lead to severe complications.
Many religions offer wine and spirits in worship. Why not? We offer to Divinity the best of what the world gives us - fragrant flowers such as roses and jasmine, ripe fruits, leaves and plants, grains cooked with love and reverence, fragrant with spices and ghee. In Hinduism animal sacrifices were replaced by smashing a coconut and offering the pieces as blessing. In some sects animal sacrifices and alcohol are still offered and the meat is fed to all.

I never knew why that guy at the temple gate kept cracking coconuts for the devotees going for Thaipusam. I was in India. Now, thanks to you, I know.

Hinduism, like Buddhism, is stunning in an Asian setting. We westerners look down our noses at them as superstitious, and think our rationalization of their spiritual theologies leads to the truth beyond human understanding. We wish.

Anyway, this thread is about building character through spirituality. Wine provides a bridge to spirituality if one is not of this world and has sensitivity. In this video clip below, there are two guys connecting with wine. One of them has character while the other has none. Guess which one is an atheist and a candidate for alcoholism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzJR4Emxvo

Old 01-29-2023, 07:57 AM

There's always the Fireball option...

There's no whiskey in mini bottles of Fireball, so customers are suing for fraud

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/27/11519...ottles-lawsuit

Old 01-29-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

As I commented before, a few too many people really don't know much about alcoholism. They base their opinions on limited life experience rather than learn what they should from websites like WebMD, the Mayo Clinic and/or the professionals who actually know what they're talking about. Know better like you seem to know.

Very true what you write, including the how and why alcoholism is treated as a disease. Also more commonly referred to in professional circles as an Alcohol Abuse Disorder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality