Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 09:16 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Some interesting points. I like the be kind to children and don't touch alcohol. My father became an alcoholic and I completely avoid it...so does my husband...I am so happy he does avoid it.

I don't understand alcohol addiction. My parents always had wine at dinner. I felt very "grown up" when they served me wine also as soon as I got to high school at 14. The only time when I have food without wine is when I am in Asia and eating food of other cultures. In Japan, it's beer and rarely saki unless the meal is fancy. I cannot imagine having dinner without an alcoholic beverage. It's like walking around without your pants on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2023, 06:22 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
I don't understand alcohol addiction. My parents always had wine at dinner. I felt very "grown up" when they served me wine also as soon as I got to high school at 14. The only time when I have food without wine is when I am in Asia and eating food of other cultures. In Japan, it's beer and rarely saki unless the meal is fancy. I cannot imagine having dinner without an alcoholic beverage. It's like walking around without your pants on.
I cannot imagine alcohol being as necessary as pants. However I do like an excellent Gewürztraminer. It makes me feel shiny and beautiful. It is the complex taste and not the fuzzy feeling that i am attached to.
Addiction is when anything will do as long as it gives fuzziness. It is not about the taste. It all about drink till you pass out. That is addiction.
Why addiction is a mystery. Same as why any disease.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:33 AM

412 posts, read 137,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I cannot imagine alcohol being as necessary as pants. However I do like an excellent Gewürztraminer. It makes me feel shiny and beautiful. It is the complex taste and not the fuzzy feeling that i am attached to.
Addiction is when anything will do as long as it gives fuzziness. It is not about the taste. It all about drink till you pass out. That is addiction.
I'll have what she's having!

Old 01-28-2023, 07:16 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
I'll have what she's having!
LOL. I cannot name any labels because i never remember. We tasted an excellent one at an Ojai wine tasting. But generally look for French and German varieties. Try several, never hurts

Old 01-28-2023, 08:40 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying and there are many different viable ways to improve oneself. I just have built a great relationship with Jesus, he was there with me during difficult times, and I believe the Society of Friends is very fundamental to who I am as a person.
Of course. I understand. I sometimes think, however, that for whatever their reasons, people develop "one track" ways of thinking and looking at things that prevent them from achieving some worthwhile possibilities in terms of fulfillment, growth, and among other things, character.

All that said, "if you're happy, I'm happy."

Old 01-28-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Thank you, you are too kind. I am still learning on the job. Later this spring my boys turn 2 and 1!!!

Those are good points.
2 and 1?!? Hard to think back to those days, and boy how they do fly by from day one! Enjoy them, because in the blink of an eye, they're leaving the nest...

My daughter is 32, and my son is 30. Very glad to say they've turned out to be very good people that my wife and I are very proud to call our kids. The job of parenting is one of the most challenging there is. If not the most, and it really never ends. A real character builder too! In more ways than can be counted. Good luck with yours, because good luck is among the many blessings every parent must count on along that long journey.

"Parenting, the final frontier!"

Old 01-28-2023, 08:50 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I will say that Quaker values are very portable—possibly more so than any Christian denomination besides Unitarian Universalism (to the extent they can be considered Christian, a fight in which I have no dog).

As you may be aware, Quaker primary and secondary schools are possibly the most religiously diverse of any religiously affiliated K-12 educational institution. In the Philadelphia area, Jews form a plurality-to-near-majority of the student bodies at Friends’ Central, Friends’ Select, Abington Friends, Germantown Friends, and Penn Charter, to name a few.
Yes! As a woman of words and the mother of a linguist, I am a fan of John McWhorter, the author of The Power of Babel and a professor of linguistics at Columbia University. I occasionally listen to his podcasts and have seen one of his Ted Talks.

He is an African-American man from Philadelphia who was educated at Friends' Select, and he said most of his friends were Jewish.

My daughter taught for a short time at Friends Academy in Locust Valley, NY, on the Long Island "Gold Coast". (Tuition for kindergarten is $23K.) Many of her high school students were the children of Chinese-American businesspeople.

Old 01-28-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
There are three levels of the first point, which is

A - "patience and forgiveness".

Level 1 - When someone does injustice to you, you do the same to them. And this is 100% justice. Nothing wrong with it.
Level 2 - When someone does injustice to you, and YOU (NOT the local law of the land) forgives them.
Level 3 - When someone does injustice to you, you do a favor to them in return.

Level 3 is the highest and most challenging one to achieve, and not many can't do it. Most, can't even imagine it's possibility.

B - Must not be a hypocrite who has two faces. Should be good and clean inside out.

C - 100% monogamous and faithful to his/her life partner.

D - If a man, then lowers his gaze when talking to other females (no lust in the eyes). And if a female then wears with modest clothing and avoids a slutty demeanor.

E - Respects his/her parents and treats them with tender love when they reach the old age.

F - Keeps his promise and does not break trust.

G - Truthfulness. Does not speak a lie even in a joking way.

H - Honest. Does not play games and lives an honest life in his day to work and in his means of earning.

I - Maintains excellent manners, etiquettes and is polite in speech. Meek and docile. Should have a full control on his/her anger.

J - Stands with the justice without any personal bias even if it goes against a family member or a loved one.

K - Kind to children, the elderly, the weak, and kind to animals and nature.

L - Generous in giving charity to the needy and less fortunate, and those who are in genuine need.

M - Must not go on any extremes.

N - Eats and sleeps in modesty.

O - Loves to achieve cleanliness, and has a good nice and clean appearance.

P - Does not waste resources and is caring towards other. Lives a minimal life style and is not greedy to pile up.

Q - And this one may irk some of us but this is just my personal opinion. Avoids drinking alcohol.
Alcohol drinking (regardless of the quantity), in my opinion is the mother of many, many, many ills. On a personal level and also on social level for the entire society.

Slowly and gradually, it takes many, many and many of us into darkness and abyss. But unfortunately, there is WAY, WAY, WAY JUST WAYYYY TOO MUCH money involved in it's business. And hence, with all the medical evidence against it's consumption, our governments and big corps wont advertise much against it's use.
Reads a little to righteous to me, or maybe just doesn't seem to leave much room for being human. People don't necessarily need to "walk on water" in order to be very good people, good spouses and good parents.

Item "D" is a little perplexing to me too. Beware the fashion and morals police!

About drinking too, I prefer to advocate for moderation, balance. I have a very good friend who darn near ruined his life as a result of becoming an alcoholic. Ruined his marriage and almost killed himself a few too many times before he finally got sober. Now into his sixth year of sobriety, I'm glad to witness that he's back to the fine person he truly is. After finally getting sober, he worked for a good while at a rehab center to help others achieve sobriety like he was able. He's now back to being a good contributor to society and no doubt society needs more people like him.

We go back as friends all the way to high school where drinking was commonplace, even when we were underaged, and we both did our fair share. Over time, as we became older adults, he became a serious alcoholic, and I stayed his friend all through that nightmare, but although I have always been a drinker (mostly wine and beer), I've never had the sorts of issues or problems alcoholics develop. It's a disease after all, and like other diseases, it affects some people in deadly ways while leaving other people essentially problem free. I would never argue that alcohol doesn't have it's negative health effects, but not everything I do is always as healthy as could be.

Again, these are personal matters and/or choices about how people want to live their life, and as long as people do what they do in a "live and let live fashion," also responsibly, then that's all plenty okay far as I'm concerned. I still drink. My friend doesn't have a drop of alcohol anymore. We're both good far as I'm concerned, even though our life journey and experience with alcohol has been very different. "People are different" as my daughter is locally famous for noting at a very young age...

Old 01-28-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Most people don't really understand alcoholism, and for too many, once they do, it's too late...

I grew up with wine always at the dinner table too. Never thought twice about it. I've always enjoyed wine as part of dinner too, but it's not a necessity. Just good with certain dinners, and/or with a Mexican meal, I always have a beer. Typically a Modelo Negro.

We took our kids to Italy when they were young teenagers, and at one dinner, we thought to let our kids have a glass of wine for the first time. They were around 16, so when we got around to ordering the wine and asking for four glasses, I wondered what the waitress might do. She took our order and poured everyone the wine no differently than she did the water. In Italy, the thought of restricting consumption of wine is something like cutting off one's finger.

It's just not done or even thought about...

Old 01-28-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
"Shiny and beautiful?"

"I'll have what she's having."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality