Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 04:02 PM

1,250 posts, read 682,492 times

Advertisements

Just wondering why you would have to pray - God knows everything - why would I presume to tell "him" what to do? I am interested in the logic of prayer to a all-knowing deity. Why would a mere mortal be directing things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 04:08 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,546,429 times
There are two kinds of prayer: intercessory (requesting a particular outcome or thing) and meditative (not a request so much as a general submission to the will of god and reliance upon his grace). Many Christians lean more to the latter. Those who lean to the former, would argue that god has invited people to ask for their needs, so they can see god's goodness; they'll cite a verse that says "ask and see if I don't open the storehouse of heaven for you", in so many words. In the extreme, this becomes the so-called "prosperity gospel" ("name it and claim it"; "god wants his people to prosper [materially]").

The problem of course is that "answered prayer" is not meaningfully distinguishable from random happenstance, and usually represents confirmation bias anyway, which is why many Christians shy away from asking god for anything very specific, or claiming very specific guidance from god, for that matter.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
There are two kinds of prayer: intercessory (requesting a particular outcome or thing) and meditative (not a request so much as a general submission to the will of god and reliance upon his grace). Many Christians lean more to the latter. Those who lean to the former, would argue that god has invited people to ask for their needs, so they can see god's goodness; they'll cite a verse that says "ask and see if I don't open the storehouse of heaven for you", in so many words. In the extreme, this becomes the so-called "prosperity gospel" ("name it and claim it"; "god wants his people to prosper [materially]").

The problem of course is that "answered prayer" is not meaningfully distinguishable from random happenstance, and usually represents confirmation bias anyway, which is why many Christians shy away from asking god for anything very specific, or claiming very specific guidance from god, for that matter.
So you're saying there's virtue in begging, otherwise, since "God" knows everything and is perfect, why would he listen to me about how I want things to go - praying "the will of God" should be redundant. God does what "he" wants - so my thoughts about any matter are inconsequential.

I was asking for logic, not bible verses.

I know there are different kinds of prayer, but in the end, they are all prayer - us wanting something from the magical deity that will grant it or not.

Old 02-02-2022, 04:50 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Just wondering why you would have to pray - God knows everything - why would I presume to tell "him" what to do? I am interested in the logic of prayer to a all-knowing deity. Why would a mere mortal be directing things?
The same reason I call my earthly father…to talk, ask for help, seek advice, thank him for being a good father and tell him I love him. My earthly father enjoys hearing from me and I enjoy hearing from my kids.

Old 02-02-2022, 05:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,668,016 times
Quote:
Well, of course you would not understand the logic.
Because your assessment of this issue is based upon a literal interpretation of the Book and taking it that way.
And if this is how the Book is being critiqued...it's actually fully explained.
A literal assessment must include as a given the Omnimax Powered God that knows everything & can do anything, and has thoughts and ways that are above ours.
See...God knows, and we don't & even can't...a literal interpretation explains that in no uncertain terms.
It says that you are not to go off your own understanding. Oh, and...you are not supposed to question God.
If you are gonna question the Book from a literal interpretation standpoint, with everything as a given...you must also accept your inferior thoughts and ways relative to God's as a given.
So...BECAUSE GOD SAID SO...and God knows, while you don't & can't.
You acknowledged that God is "All Knowing", right? Are you? So...there ya go.
How did you miss that part of the Book?

Old 02-02-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well, of course you would not understand the logic.
Because your assessment of this issue is based upon a literal interpretation of the Book and taking it that way.
And if this is how the Book is being critiqued...it's actually fully explained.
A literal assessment must include as a given the Omnimax Powered God that knows everything & can do anything, and has thoughts and ways that are above ours.
See...God knows, and we don't & even can't...a literal interpretation explains that in no uncertain terms.
It says that you are not to go off your own understanding. Oh, and...you are not supposed to question God.
If you are gonna question the Book from a literal interpretation standpoint, with everything as a given...you must also accept your inferior thoughts and ways relative to God's as a given.
So...BECAUSE GOD SAID SO...and God knows, while you don't & can't.
You acknowledged that God is "All Knowing", right? Are you? So...there ya go.
How did you miss that part of the Book?
OMG, are you kidding me?

Old 02-02-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The same reason I call my earthly father…to talk, ask for help, seek advice, thank him for being a good father and tell him I love him. My earthly father enjoys hearing from me and I enjoy hearing from my kids.
So, I take it you are not into logic.

I didn't ask about relatives or love.

I asked a very specific question.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
Actually there are way more kinds of prayer...I think 7.
As explained in the book, "Prayers Answered Guaranteed!" by Frederick Price. He did excellent, sound research.
Responding to mordant, is all. Don't be mad at me!

Old 02-02-2022, 06:13 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,546,429 times
Quote:
So you're saying there's virtue in begging, otherwise, since "God" knows everything and is perfect, why would he listen to me about how I want things to go - praying "the will of God" should be redundant. God does what "he" wants - so my thoughts about any matter are inconsequential.

I was asking for logic, not bible verses.

I know there are different kinds of prayer, but in the end, they are all prayer - us wanting something from the magical deity that will grant it or not.
I didn't give you Bible verses. I'm an atheist and former theist. If you want to understand how theists think about prayer, I'm not a bad source.

You and I both know there's no logic to be had, and besides ... logic is way out of fashion at the moment, especially among those who pray.

Personally I don't think about the question of prayer so much in terms of the logic of it, as in terms of the (lack of) results.

A person asking for god to "bless" them can claim to be blessed, according to the fallacy of relative privation if nothing else. A person asking for god to take a fatal cancer diagnosis from their loved one can't paper over the fact of the person's suffering and eventual death. In the exceedingly rare cases of an incorrect diagnosis or spontaneous remission, they can claim victory, but often even among believers, in my experience, no one really thinks a miracle has actually happened. Someone asking for an amputated limb to regrow -- now that is something that to my knowledge has NEVER happened.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,437,403 times
Quote:
Just wondering why you would have to pray ...
Actually, you don't have to. Pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality