Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 06:16 PM

20,456 posts, read 12,848,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
So, I take it you are not into logic.

I didn't ask about relatives or love.

I asked a very specific question.
You asked why Christians pray. I told you, logically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 06:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 685,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Actually there are way more kinds of prayer...I think 7.
As explained in the book, "Prayers Answered Guaranteed!" by Frederick Price. He did excellent, sound research.
Responding to mordant, is all. Don't be mad at me!
I agree. I have studied world religions, and there are several different kinds of prayer.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:18 PM

51,101 posts, read 24,599,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Not really. You gave pretty much the standard Sunday school version.

Which is fine, but it's not "logic".

Old 02-02-2022, 06:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 685,015 times
Quote:
Please point out the logic.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:23 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,679,043 times
Quote:
OMG, are you kidding me?
Do you have something more to offer than the shock of the explanation based upon your own noted criteria?
You present as a given (based upon The Bible) that God is "All Knowing". It is also a given that we humans are not all knowing.
So...why would you question what God said we must do...since he knows all, and we don't (and can't)?
You already had your answer...based upon the information in the Book that you are assessing literally.

Old 02-02-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Please point out the logic.
It is logical to talk to your father, both earthly and heavenly.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
That only seems to be half right.
To a religious person, both are logical.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:57 PM

Quote:
To a religious person, both are logical.
Okay. Now actually think about that.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:19 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I didn't give you Bible verses. I'm an atheist and former theist. If you want to understand how theists think about prayer, I'm not a bad source.

You and I both know there's no logic to be had, and besides ... logic is way out of fashion at the moment, especially among those who pray.

Personally I don't think about the question of prayer so much in terms of the logic of it, as in terms of the (lack of) results.

A person asking for god to "bless" them can claim to be blessed, according to the fallacy of relative privation if nothing else. A person asking for god to take a fatal cancer diagnosis from their loved one can't paper over the fact of the person's suffering and eventual death. In the exceedingly rare cases of an incorrect diagnosis or spontaneous remission, they can claim victory, but often even among believers, in my experience, no one really thinks a miracle has actually happened. Someone asking for an amputated limb to regrow -- now that is something that to my knowledge has NEVER happened.
No, to my knowledge no one has ever asked for an amputated limb to regrow, which shows us that even a devout believer like my late double amputee father understands that there are some things that there would be no point in praying for. On some level, most people must know that a healing of a fatal illness will not occur, either.

Old 02-02-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, to my knowledge no one has ever asked for an amputated limb to regrow, which shows us that even a devout believer like my late double amputee father understands that there are some things that there would be no point in praying for. On some level, most people must know that a healing of a fatal illness will not occur, either.
I don't know. "most people", yes. But I have known some people firmly believe a miracle will happen right up until they or a relative dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality