Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 11:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,698,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's an approved miracle. There are countless others more dramatic than this one.

Does it cause you to believe that the Catholic faith is true? Do you want to become a Catholic now after hearing about Calanda? No? Then what would be the point in "jumping all over it" or promoting it?
I have a few concerns about Christianity as a whole, the time line, the story overall.

I have a major beef with 'the fall of man', (how and why it supposedly happened) I see God himself as the only one responsible for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 11:32 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have a few concerns about Christianity as a whole, the time line, the story overall.

I have a major beef with 'the fall of man', (how and why it supposedly happened) I see God himself as the only one responsible for that.
That's my point. Miracles generally don't cause people to believe or convert, though they sometimes do.

I'd be interested to engage with you further on the topic of the fall, though I know this thread isn't the place for it.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:27 PM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Hey rstevens62, I started a new thread to dig into this a bit if you're interested.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:32 PM

25,452 posts, read 9,876,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, to my knowledge no one has ever asked for an amputated limb to regrow, which shows us that even a devout believer like my late double amputee father understands that there are some things that there would be no point in praying for. On some level, most people must know that a healing of a fatal illness will not occur, either.
MQ, you didn't run in the circles I ran in, lol. Not to downplay praying for amputated limbs or for healing of fatal illnesses, but yeah, we did that. And it had the result that you might expect.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Assuming is one thing. Commanding is something very different.
I was thinking the same thing. Not much of a relationship if you're "commanded" to have one.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:44 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Not much of a relationship if you're "commanded" to have one.
You wouldn't teach your kids to talk to you?

Old 02-03-2022, 02:07 PM

51,169 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
That would be fallacious. Logic is not something that varies according to whether one is religious or not. If you had said "comforting" as opposed to "logical," I would not be responding.
That's a good response.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:08 PM

51,169 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Again, you're not detecting a difference between "teach" and "command".

And do you think that just because you command someone to do something that they will? If so, I command you to stop posting. Oh...I guess that won't work, will it.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You generally don't have to teach your kids to talk to you. Just spend time with them and talk to them, and the rest pretty much takes care of itself. But no, I would never command my children to talk to me. And I guarantee you they'd quit talking to me if they never heard me respond back.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:40 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You generally don't have to teach your kids to talk to you. Just spend time with them and talk to them, and the rest pretty much takes care of itself. But no, I would never command my children to talk to me. And I guarantee you they'd quit talking to me if they never heard me respond back.
Do you have kids? You've never had your kid try to give you the silent treatment? You've never had to pull out of a teenager what they did during the day at school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality