Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 02:44 PM

20,461 posts, read 12,854,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
That would be fallacious. Logic is not something that varies according to whether one is religious or not. If you had said "comforting" as opposed to "logical," I would not be responding.
The logic is not varied. Non-religious people do not acknowledge a heavenly Father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 02:54 PM

16,745 posts, read 15,785,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The logic is not varied. Non-religious people do not acknowledge a heavenly Father.
Logic doesn't depend on whether a person believes in God.

Old 02-03-2022, 02:56 PM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Sure it does. If a person denies the existence of God, then they are denying reality which is the most illogical thing one could do.

The claim that God does not exist is the single most illogical claim one could possibly make.

Old 02-03-2022, 03:09 PM

20,461 posts, read 12,854,610 times
Quote:
I agree, but if a person is religious, it is logical that he/she would reach out to their heavenly Father.

Old 02-03-2022, 03:52 PM

20,177 posts, read 13,607,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
Are you saying Cain was not shown mercy? After Cain was given his punishment, God put a mark on Cain so that others would not take out vengeance on him and kill him. And God said if anyone kills Cain, he will suffer vengeance seven times over.

Which is why I said that I hear Abel crying out for mercy upon his brother Cain. As that is in context with what followed.
Sure, if you like. Most exegetes see it as a cry for justice, if not vengeance. I think Cain deserved consequences, and one could argue he got them, if not the usual OT tit-for-tat. A form of banishment, essentially. I think if you argue that god decided what was just, then justice was done.

Doesn't matter to me how different believers spin this or any other part of scripture though. In any case I'm not sure how this addresses the OP.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
A great many miracles didn't occur because of unbelief.
Many are in those positions not really wanting healing which might remove their eligibility for free services and extra attention.
Some have grown attached to their condition and don't actually want healing.
Somehow it does not surprise me that someone invested in prayer actually changing things would explain away unanswered prayer as all the prayer's fault somehow. Insufficient belief / faith, on the dole, getting pity.

It's not like malingering never happens, but, come on. You'd be singing a different tune if you had some sort of cancer or chronic health issue that wasn't responding to prayer, I'm sure.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:09 PM

51,158 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Sure it does. If a person denies the existence of God, then they are denying reality which is the most illogical thing one could do.

The claim that God does not exist is the single most illogical claim one could possibly make.
Wrong.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I do not claim that God doesn't exist. I simply want someone who claims he exists, to provide the first iota of actual proof in support of that view.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:26 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I agree, but if a person is religious, it is logical that he/she would reach out to their heavenly Father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Wrong.

That God Exists is a perception that is so prolific it can be considered a "Standard of Human Understanding".
90% that have lived over the last thousand years can perceive God. Very few lack that ability.
It is as logical to say that humans are God perceiving creatures as it is to say they are emotional creatures.
Some aren't...but they would be considered outside of the norm.
It is completely logical to claim God exists.
Claiming God doesn't exist is illogical.
My sympathy is with those few that cannot perceive God...but it is not cool that anyone claims it isn't illogical to deny the existence of God.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:55 PM

25,452 posts, read 9,876,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Do you have kids? You've never had your kid try to give you the silent treatment? You've never had to pull out of a teenager what they did during the day at school?
You were talking about teaching kids to talk to you. You don't normally have to do that. Not sure how that morphed into your latest post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality