Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 05:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 685,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
So, now...you continue to show how badly you just don't get it. That's what.
You claim to understand that God is a "all-knowing deity" that "knows everything".
We got that.
We also know where you got that information from: The Bible.
If you sourced that info from some other place...please let us know.
We also know that in The Bible...God instructs and directs His followers to pray.
So, we clued you in to what you were wondering about: Why prayer to a all-knowing God?
Answer to your inquiry: BECAUSE THE ALL-KNOWING GOD SAID TO DO THAT...over and over again.
Ya got it now?
I did not get "the information" from the bible.

You have made some erroneous assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 06:57 PM

22,733 posts, read 19,389,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
then where did you get it?
The question was asked in post 121

Quote:
You claim to understand that God is a "all-knowing deity" that "knows everything".
We got that.
We also know that in The Bible...God instructs and directs His followers to pray.
So, we clued you in to what you were wondering about: Why prayer to a all-knowing God?
Answer to your inquiry: BECAUSE THE ALL-KNOWING GOD SAID TO DO THAT...over and over again.
Ya got it now?

Old 02-08-2022, 08:07 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
We got that.
Ya got it now?
Quote:

Oh, yeah?
Then you forgot the follow-up ^^^..."If you sourced that info from some other place...please let us know".
If the information that "God is all-knowing" did not come from The Bible, where did it come from?
Where would you or anyone else get that info from, if not from there?
I contend that The Bible is the only direct or indirect source there is of that information.
Anyway...it doesn't change the answer to your inquiry as to why people pray to the all-knowing God: Because God said to do that.
Suggestions & instructions when, where, and how to pray...even a sample prayer, is provided.
You didn't know this?

Old 02-12-2022, 07:38 PM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
I just came across the following quote from Soren Kierkegaard:

"The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.”

Old 02-12-2022, 07:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 685,475 times
Quote:
Oh, yeah?
Then you forgot the follow-up ^^^..."If you sourced that info from some other place...please let us know".
If the information that "God is all-knowing" did not come from The Bible, where did it come from?
Where would you or anyone else get that info from, if not from there?
I contend that The Bible is the only direct or indirect source there is of that information.

Anyway...it doesn't change the answer to your inquiry as to why people pray to the all-knowing God: Because God said to do that.
Suggestions & instructions when, where, and how to pray...even a sample prayer, is provided.
You didn't know this?
Your assumption making is off the charts.

I was indoctrinated by the Cathechism when I was around five or six years old.

Old 02-12-2022, 07:46 PM

51,158 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

"The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays.”
In that case, God is not really part of the equation.

Old 02-12-2022, 09:06 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
Your assumption making is off the charts.

I was indoctrinated by the Cathechism when I was around five or six years old.
And what is the source of that information?
Virtually every paragraph is replete with biblical references.
You didn't know that?

Old 02-13-2022, 03:26 PM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

This is what I described as "meditative" prayer earlier in this thread. It is what a significant percentage of Christians emphasize over intercessory / requesting prayer, a few to the point of saying prayer is never for asking god for anything, not even the things he is alleged to have offered to us just for the asking.

Personally my feeling was that there was always way too much in the Bible about asking god for help / protection / support / encouragement / rescuing for anyone to credibly discount entirely that this is even a thing. I think the text supports both types of prayer. In my experience, though, meditative prayer was way more effective than the other kind, by a country mile. Tellingly, god is not needed to explain why meditative prayer works. It is literally no different than any other form of mediation or mindfulness, other than the assumptions in makes and the things it focuses on as a substitute for the ego's desires.

On the other hand for "prayer changes things" outside of one's attitude to work, god IS a necessary ingredient, and he is conspicuously absent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality