Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:05 PM

678 posts, read 431,436 times

Advertisements

Was thinking about this a bit and wondering what people think is the root of evil.

People who commit evil acts – Hitler, suicide terrorists, preaching hate at funerals have a common quality. Those acts can only be committed by egomaniacs. Someone is so selfish and so caught up in their ideology that they will do anything to cause harm to others not like them.

So if ego leads to evil, what leads to serenity and/or God? Reducing one’s ego, becoming more selfless, accepting personal flaws and what is outside of one’s control, stepping outside of one’s ideological and social bubble. My experience is that it takes self-awareness and work but leads to inner peace and increased happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,487,874 times
Pride...from our first decision that we didn't need our Creator...and here we are!

Old 08-30-2017, 12:17 PM

1,078 posts, read 943,989 times
Sin...? Is this a trick question?

I guess if you're talking about a specific sin, idolatry is at the root of every one I can think of from pride to lust to envy to lying to worshipping other gods to love of self to murder and all the rest.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:17 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,073,156 times
The root of all evil is the love of mammon, ie. self gain in any form, including that of lifeless doctrines devoid of His Spirit. It goes all the way back into the garden, which is why you cannot serve G-d and mammon, because His love is exactly the opposite in it's sacrificial nature. Peace

Old 08-30-2017, 12:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,286,629 times
Firstly, greed. Greed for money, power, sex, more of everything.

Secondly, intolerance. Such as is expressed by fundamentalists around the world who believe their way is the only way, their godling is the only godling.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,088,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Pride...from our first decision that we didn't need our Creator...and here we are!
Gott Mit Uns! ~ said every Christian Nazi supporter of Hitler who carried their messages into power.

When did the birds of the air decide they didn't need "their Creator" yet look at them struggle, suffer, steal, and die.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Sin...? Is this a trick question?

I guess if you're talking about a specific sin, idolatry is at the root of every one I can think of from pride to lust to envy to lying to worshipping other gods to love of self to murder and all the rest.
Bibliolatry and Mytholatry are the worst forms of destructive and violence-mongering idolatries.

"For the spirit gives life, but the letter kills"

The letters kill the good feelings and well-wishes of the breath of life. Don't waste your breath.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-30-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Firstly, greed. Greed for money, power, sex, more of everything.

Secondly, intolerance. Such as is expressed by fundamentalists around the world who believe their way is the only way, their godling is the only godling.
I agree with all posts so far, of course...but,
Jumbo asked the 'root', tho, thus, first, basic, the start of it all...in my opinion.
Where does it all begin?
From the tale of Lucifer to the story of Eve...where was the greed for money..why was there intolerance...
gotta follow it back and back to where was the starting point or root, I say.
It was wanting to 'go it alone'...thinking that you could! Become as God or more than God.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
The root of all evil is the love of mammon, ie. self gain in any form, including that of lifeless doctrines devoid of His Spirit. It goes all the way back into the garden, which is why you cannot serve G-d and mammon, because His love is exactly the opposite in it's sacrificial nature. Peace
The greatest self-gain is gaining blissful ignorance-of-others filled immortality through vicarious assisted-suicide sacrifice and cronyism, speaking in terms of the Abrahamic mythologies.

"Devoid of His Spirit" means that you expect self-gain from "His Spirit."

mammon means "wealth" "money" "profit" "possessions" "that in which one trusts, puts faith in [value of currency]" etc. And the same Bishop-chosen gospel stories [as the one you quote against money] say that you must always rake in profits and gain high monetary interest in order to return them to Jesus (who says he is the poor). Hard not to serve two masters when one if them [mammon] is the intercessor to the other [Joshua].

What does our mammon say right on it's face: "In God We Trust" to signify that this Nation trusts in both masters, not just money (although money would be seen as a lower master in our quasi-feudal monetary systems).

Old 08-30-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
When did the birds of the air decide they didn't need "their Creator" yet
look at them struggle, suffer, steal, and die.
'Root of evil', I believe was referring to humans, right Jumbo?

BUT, now that you bring animals into this...why don't we really follow the root of evil...the Creator. Do I hear gasps? Lol.

Then, we could discuss, 'Is evil all relative?" or 'What is evil'.
' Does evil really exist from the perspective of an Infinite Eternal Powerful Being or is it from our perspective when we are at the short end of something?'
I'm not taking a stand on these questions...just saying there could be spin off topics here.
Define evil, see?
I don't think Jumbo would mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality