Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 12:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,081,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
'Root of evil', I believe was referring to humans, right Jumbo?

BUT, now that you bring animals into this...why don't we really follow the root of evil...the Creator.
Then, we could discuss, 'Is evil all relative?" or 'What is evil'.
' Does evil really exist from the perspective of an Infinite Eternal Powerful Being or is it from our perspective when we are at the short end of something?'
I'm not taking a stand on these questions...just saying there could be spin off topics here.
Define evil, see?
I don't think Jumbo would mind.
The root of all evil would ultimately be the ultimate cause. Unless it is not the truly "ultimate" cause, but only the "ultimate cause of goodness"... in which case, there would need to be a different "ultimate cause of evil" which one could personify or deify as Angra Mainyu (if they so chose to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
'Root of evil', I believe was referring to humans, right Jumbo?

BUT, now that you bring animals into this...why don't we really follow the root of evil...the Creator. Do I hear gasps? Lol.

Then, we could discuss, 'Is evil all relative?" or 'What is evil'.
' Does evil really exist from the perspective of an Infinite Eternal Powerful Being or is it from our perspective when we are at the short end of something?'
I'm not taking a stand on these questions...just saying there could be spin off topics here.
Define evil, see?
I don't think Jumbo would mind.
If it applies to the birds of the air (which, according to gospels, represent the Holy Spirit better than a mere ape does), then it applies to the apes of the ground. You will see the apes chanting for God, and you will see great (if not greater) evils among them. The female birds of the ground (hens) can represent Yahweh, according to Psalms.

For the Bibliolaters: A picture might say a thousand words, but a thousand words does paint a picture. Pictures are just images, idols are just images.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-30-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 01:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,342,734 times
I think that there are many reasons or sources for people doing terrible or ax you asked, evil things. I think trying t9 narrow it to a single trait denies all the other traits. There have been atheist and believers of every faith that has done horrendous acts and if that cannot be acknowledged then this becomes a thread of "evil is done if you don't think just like me".

Power, money, hatred, prejudices, anger and, mental illnesses can all be reasons for what is called evil. Even having said that money and power alone do not cause one to commit evil. Bill and Melissa Gates have loads more money than myself and yet other than Windows 98 how much evil have the Gates done? Most leaders of states, provinces or countries are not evil. But the love of money or piwer, and the willingness to do anything for it underlines a deeper problem in that person's character. I certainly would not agree that not believing in a particular God is a source of evil, that idea in itself leads to terrible consequences.

I lack a belief in God, have done stuff, especially when I was young, that were not right but I will claim with as much certainty as possible that I am not an evil person. I would guess that most on this gorum, including those that claim that we are all sinners, would be able to say the exact same thing.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,447,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
... to narrow it to a single trait denies all the other traits. .
I would disagree...just as the root is the foundation of all the branches and leaves...no denial of other traits.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I would disagree...just as the root is the foundation of all the branches and leaves...no denial of other traits.
Well I guess I disagree with your choice of analogy. We can either agree to disagree on the root of evil. Or we could compromise and both agree I am right and you are wrong 😁

Old 08-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
No tree has one root, and rare are the ones that have even one main root.

"Most trees begin life with a taproot, but after one to a few years the main root system changes to a wide-spreading fibrous root system with mainly horizontal-growing surface roots and only a few vertical, deep-anchoring roots."

They do have one trunk, however, pretty much all the time. I think this reality correlates even better with crafting an analogy about good and evil.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:35 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,814,520 times
Default what is the root of all evil.

People.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:53 PM

63,951 posts, read 40,245,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
What is the root of evil?

People.
This is a profound understanding of real evil. Too often anything that produces horrible or disastrous outcomes, like Hurricane Harvey, are lumped in with real evil which can only occur by the WILL and ACTIONS/INACTIONS of human beings.

Old 08-30-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a profound understanding of real evil. Too often anything that produces horrible or disastrous outcomes, like Hurricane Harvey, are lumped in with real evil which can only occur by the WILL and ACTIONS/INACTIONS of human beings.
I don't think I have heard natural disasters being labeled as evil. Is this not uncommon?

Old 08-30-2017, 02:54 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
the root? without evil there can not be any heroes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality