Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:35 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,297,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Aah ... but was it not Eve that tempted Adam with the forbidden fruit?
Yes those ancient men always blamed the women as the villain and temptress.

You still see this today with Muslims. Muslim women are expected to cover up in the presence of adult males outside of immediate family. I never understood why those women allow themselves to be oppressed due to their men's inability to control themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
But yes, you nailed it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 12:45 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,353,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Yes those ancient men always blamed the women as the villain and temptress.

You still see this today with Muslims. Muslim women are expected to cover up in the presence of adult males outside of immediate family. I never understood why those women allow themselves to be oppressed due to their men's inability to control themselves.
In some Muslim countries and not throughout time. Take a look at pictures of women of the 60s and 70s in Egypt, Afghanistan and Lebanon and there us little difference in attire from European women of the same time. Look at photos of Western women in some of the decades of the last century or so and they are much more covered up. It is fundamentalism not Islam to blame I would think.

To correct your first sentence you should have said ancient men and many modern men. Don't let us off the hook so esdily.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:51 PM

678 posts, read 431,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I've shared this video a few times(I'm really into this right now). I think this neuroendocrinologist Robert Sapolsky has some really interesting things to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT42BkHBuTU
Thanks for sharing. There was one part that I that made me uneasy and I could feel numerous negative emotions from it. But reality (and science) is tough to swallow sometimes so I have to accept that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Any thoughts about James 1:14-15 that each person is drawn out by his or her own desires ( root of evil if desiring bad ) .
Kind of like temptation is an enticing bait to do wrong and be caught up in doing wrong.
Actions preceded by thoughts. Wrong thoughts producing wrong actions. Satan is an example of that.
Interesting, but I'd rather listen to the brightest minds of today than look for verses in scripture.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:32 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,297,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
In some Muslim countries and not throughout time. Take a look at pictures of women of the 60s and 70s in Egypt, Afghanistan and Lebanon and there us little difference in attire from European women of the same time. Look at photos of Western women in some of the decades of the last century or so and they are much more covered up. It is fundamentalism not Islam to blame I would think.
I think it's the religion and what is written in the Quran with respect to women covering up. Islamic law (Sharia) requires women to cover themselves.

Veils and Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
To correct your first sentence you should have said ancient men and many modern men. Don't let us off the hook so esdily.
Well he was talking about Eve from the biblical days which is why I mentioned those ancient men. Trust me I'm aware that there are men today who behave the exact same way.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,353,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think it's the religion and what is written in the Quran with respect to women covering up. Islamic law (Sharia) requires women to cover themselves.

Veils and Covering

Well he was talking about Eve from the biblical days which is why I mentioned those ancient men. Trust me I'm aware that there are men today who behave the exact same way.
But so do some Christian sects like the Hutterite. Never saw a Hutterite woman or girl without her hair covered and in a long dress. Mennonites also dress somewhat conservatively. I assume that is from the Bible.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:02 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,652,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It is a story.
But, from the story I get they were both weak and duped. Eve could have said no and Adam could have said no.
This was the birth of 'b-l-a-m-e'.
lmao "its wasn't me"
never thought of that.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:32 PM

64,087 posts, read 40,368,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think we can make that assumption. People do what they think is right not realizing that they are the perpetrators of harmful acts. Take for example my mom shunning me. In her world, she is trying to save my life. In my world, she is the one who is wasting her life.
That would be the point of my using "willful." Evil cannot be done inadvertently, or obliviously or unintentionally. We may judge the outcomes as evil, but if there is no intent to do evil, it is NOT evil.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,090,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmooky View Post
Is this senseless drivel on purpose?
As senseless as the Bible that I quoted.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Are they H.H.H. ?
Is that humble (H) person also an honest (H) person and hungering (H) for religious truth.
No. They are:

1. Humble
2. Honest
3. A human being wanting to keep their peace.

So thus they are evil?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
That is so sad. Just added her to my prayer list for that wall to come down. Peace
Don't worry, according to Buddhism, she and her God will find enlightenment eventually. What a comforting belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality