Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:29 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,975,865 times

Advertisements

I posed this question a dozen times in the Christian forum and no Christian has ever been able to answer.

Please give us logical explanation why God simply has to have us burning in fire in hell eternally or He's really pissed. The Bible gives no origin or explanation for fire in hell. Why couldn't God have created a twilight zone where sinners just exist in darkness or gray mist. Why explicitly does a soul have to burn in fire in order to satisfy God? What's the purpose? Just to make a sinner suffer the most extreme pain God can inflict on them? Isn't God able to devise pain that's 10x's worse than the most painful punishment fire can inflict? Please explain.

The only alternative is that this "fire in hell" thing was an invention of the early Church to scare pagans into joining Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 03:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,824,031 times
Wake up, it's 2017, it's all here on earth, the heaven and hell stories.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,953,864 times
Metaphor for refining?

Old 08-17-2017, 03:53 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I posed this question a dozen times in the Christian forum and no Christian has ever been able to answer.

Please give us logical explanation why God simply has to have us burning in fire in hell eternally or He's really pissed. The Bible gives no origin or explanation for fire in hell. Why couldn't God have created a twilight zone where sinners just exist in darkness or gray mist. Why explicitly does a soul have to burn in fire in order to satisfy God? What's the purpose? Just to make a sinner suffer the most extreme pain God can inflict on them? Isn't God able to devise pain that's 10x's worse than the most painful punishment fire can inflict? Please explain.

The only alternative is that this "fire in hell" thing was an invention of the early Church to scare pagans into joining Christianity.
Why do you think we'd know? We didn't make it up. We can only tell you what the Bible says.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:58 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,753,048 times
Probably because it was the worst type of death that whoever invented the notion of hell could imagine.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:39 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,975,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Probably because it was the worst type of death that whoever invented the notion of hell could imagine.
This is what I think. Figure that the early church Fathers needed some sort of sledgehammer to brain these dumb-as-posts pagans into believing what they were teaching about Christianity and when the pagans said, "Nah, we're not buying it" the Fathers could say, "Just you wait! At the end of the world our God is going to....say, what's the scariest death you can think of?" Pagans: "Duhh...I don't know. Burning by fire?"
Fathers: "Just you wait! At the end of the world our God is going to burn you in fire for eternity!"
Pagans: "Where do we sign?"

That's how I think it got started.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:46 PM

28,134 posts, read 30,062,028 times
Quote:

Isn't it mostly the fundies who still believe in a literal lake of fire? I figured most Christians didn't believe this any more. I don't even believe the pain anyone's going to feel will be physical at all. I believe it will be more along the lines of deep remorse and mental anguish, and I don't see it as being eternal in nature. Maybe I'm the odd one out; I don't know.

Old 08-17-2017, 04:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,063,301 times
@OP....Didn't the burning bush make it obvious? Our G-d is a consuming fire. Peace

Old 08-17-2017, 05:20 PM

33,351 posts, read 26,577,135 times
Quote:

No, the ''''fire in hell'' thing'' was not an invention of the early Church. The fire imagery in the Bible is straight out of the book of Enoch which is Jewish apocryphal literature, most of which was written during the intertestamental period after the last of the Old Testament books were written, and before the New Testament period. The book of Enoch itself, at least the older sections of the book, is estimated to have been written around 300 BC.

Some examples of the fire imagery.
Chapter 10:9 And in the great day of judgment let him be cast into the fire.

10:16 Then shall they be taken away into the lowest depths of the fire in torments; and in confinement shall they be shut up for ever. 17 Immediately after this shall he, (14) together with them, burn and perish; they shall be bound until the consummation of many generations.

Chapter 21:5 Where I beheld the operation of a great fire blazing and glittering, in the midst of which there was a division. Columns of fire struggled together to the end of the abyss, and deep was their descent. But neither its measurement nor magnitude was I able to discover; neither could I perceive its origin. Then I exclaimed, How terrible is this place, and how difficult to explore! 6 Uriel, one of the holy angels who was with me, answered and said: Enoch, why are you alarmed and amazed at this terrific place, at the sight of this place of suffering? This, he said, is the prison of the angels; and here they are kept for ever.

The Book of Enoch, Chapters 1-60
The New Testament writers could read, and they read the book of Enoch which expands on Genesis 6 and the account of the angels which co-habited with human women resulting in the birth of the Nephilim, and they considered it appropriate to use in expressing what they had to say concerning the punishment of the angels and men who rebel against God.

Compare Enoch 21:5,6 with Matthew 25:41.

Old Testament scholar Michael Heiser addresses the fire imagery and how it relates to the book of Enoch in the following podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf0fI3feKI

Now you'll have to excuse me. I'm not going to get involved in a conversation about this. I was taking a break from what I was doing and saw this thread, and decided to provide the above information, but I'm busy studying about the Universe and string theory and want to get back to it. I'm listening to a fascinating lecture by Lawrence Krauss on the beginning of the Universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaN3f5kREhk

And yes, I know that he's an atheist and what he thinks about theists. But he's also a top notch theoretical physicist and a likeable guy.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-17-2017 at 05:38 PM..

Old 08-17-2017, 05:22 PM

11,169 posts, read 7,227,160 times
There was also the whole "fire and brimstone" thing on Earth with the destruction of Sodom and Gemorrah. So we haven't always had to leave the planet to get a dose of that.

Personally, my view of hell is sufficient enough with the absence of God to be undesirable. It doesn't matter whether there is fire there or not (or something symbolic). That's sort of irrelevant compared to being separated from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality